Profile for Benmus > Reviews

Benmus

Pump up the volume
Pump up the volume
Offered by Den's DVDs

4.0 out of 5 stars A teen rebel classic from yesteryear seen through new eyes!, 22 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Pump up the volume (DVD)
Cristian Slater has always been the epitome of cool for me. I'm six years younger then him and was just the right age to witness his golden age of 'youthful rebellion cinema' as it happened. I watched him as his roles matured from 'voice of youth' teenagers , through to effortlessly cool, twenty-something hipsters and (after a lull) the wiser, chilled out, free spirited characters in his thirties. He represented the level of street smart I would aspire to (but rarely reach) as I grew up. So, I am somewhat biased when it comes to reviewing any of his roles from that era.
I first saw Pump Up The Volume on TV when I was in my late teens and loved it. Partly cos of the music, partly cos of the references to Lenny Bruce who I was just discovering at the time but mainly because of two things: Slater's performance as Mark Hunter and the idea of a nerdy kid (such as I was at the time) living a 'double life' and having such an effect on his peers.
Due to the films unavailability I didn't see it again for about twenty years and watching again as a somewhat disillusioned thirty-nine year old was a strange two-sided experience. On the one hand I was rooting for Hard Harry and watched with delight as he exposed the corrupt dealings of his high school, inspired his schoolmates and got the girl. All this behind the back of his pleasant but blase parents!
However, another part of me found Mark and his radio speeches to be the whining rants of some loser with a chip on his shoulder. As I watched his fellow teens rise in protest I couldn't help thinking 'Ah, stop moaning kids...everybody has to grow up and get a job. Its called the real world!' I'm fairly sure if I saw this for the first time today it would be more of an amusing distraction with a cool soundtrack.
The cast are on the whole pretty solid and the suicide moment is still genuinely moving (although way to brief, it has very little build-up and is soon passed over in favor of other plot points). I'd say if you're my age or younger and don't take it too seriously it's an entertaining evenings viewing. The ingredients are all there for a retro classic but they fall short by a beat. For Slaterites like me or just fans of high school flicks from the eights and nineties, Pump Up The Volume is the perfect companion piece to Heathers.
The DVD sleeve is in French as are the soundbites on the menu and the dubbed trailers that proceed it. This is kinda frustrating but a small price to pay to finally own this otherwise deleted title. The extras are fairly sparse: A half-hour retrospective documentary gives an entertaining insight into the making of the film and the original trailer which can be watched in English or French. If you already know and like the film its a satisfying purchase. Otherwise I'd wait to catch it on TV sometime.

Fear and Desire (1953) [Masters of Cinema] [DVD]
Fear and Desire (1953) [Masters of Cinema] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stanley Kubrick
Offered by bestmediagroup

4.0 out of 5 stars Early Kubrick for the faithfull, 31 May 2013
I have to say I am really pleased that this alomost unknown Kubrick debut has finally got a mainstream release and with the unexpected inclusion of his three documentaries this makes this an important part of the Stanley Kubrick collection. I had a very poor quality bootleg copy which I bought mainly just so I could see the film rather then to keep it. I was, therefore in no rush to buy it again. But when I saw the contents and realized this is not just Fear And Desire but the full Kubrick back catalog I decided it was worth it. The booklet and the video discussion are nice touches too that add value to the package. So all in all it is worth the investment if your a Kubrick enthusiast.
However, the film itself is rather dull in places and-as James Naremore says in the booklet included-if it wasn't made by the great Stanley Kubrick it would probably have been-rightfully-forgotten a long time ago. It has hints of inspiration and some good performances by some of the cast (and not so good from some others) but you can literally see Stanley learning his craft as you watch. Indeed I consider his next piece, Killer's Kiss to be his first film and this more like the product of some board (thou never the less quite talented) students looking for a project to pass the time. Killer's Kiss-unlike Fear and Desire-is a very promising piece, despite its faults, and I notice throughout hints of almost all Kubrick's later movies from Full Metal Jacket to 2001.
As for the documentaries, Day Of The Fight and Flying Padre are entertaining enough, they are informative, well put together and to the point. The Seafarers has a tendency to ramble on and I feel it is a little too keen to make us love the SIU-even if I didn't know already, I think I would have guessed that this was a subject Kubrick was employed to make a documentary about as opposed to choosing the subject himself-but still has some nice moments.
All in all I would recommend this to the Kubrick completest like me, but to the casual Kubrick fan I wouldn't go out of your way.