Profile for John Smith > Reviews

Content by John Smith

John Smith "Ship" (UK)

Laptop Charger for†Samsung NP740U3E-S02 NP740U3E-S02UK NP740U3E-S04UK NP740U3E-K01UB NP740U3E-A01UB†Compatible Replacement Notebook Adapter Adaptor Power Supply - Laptop Power (TM) Branded (UK Powercord and 12 Month Warranty)
Offered by Cambridge Accessories

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate this listing!, 23 Mar. 2016
I hate this listing! I have no opinion on the product. Where are all the technical details? e.g. Weight, voltage, fittings etc. Nightmare.

The Italian Affair
The Italian Affair

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good 'page-turner' set in Italy..., 19 May 2013
This book has a fantastic pace to it and I simply couldn't put it down. Anyone who has been to Italy will love the vivid descriptions. Enjoy.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 8 Aug. 2009
As a relative newbie to slingshots, but a bit of a perfectionist, I can say that there's not much wrong with this - it's pretty good. The wrist support isnt particularly easy to assemble but it's a must. My main surprise is that catapults aren't particularly accurate devices - but I suppose this could be user error and may improve with practice.

The only thing I would change is as a fairly strong adult male, I would like much stronger elastic - particularly if this device is to be use for vermin control. That way I could pull the leather back to full stretch along the top of my arm to underneath my eye - whereas I am strong enough to stretch it much further than this. (Maybe I just need longer arms!) The only other thing that I would change is that the wrist crip ought to be able to house ammo - I can't think why it doesnt. But all in all, a good machine at a good price and like I say - not much wrong with it. Overall: Pretty good.

Fisher Space Bullet Pen In Blueberry Lacquer Finish
Fisher Space Bullet Pen In Blueberry Lacquer Finish

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 8 Feb. 2009
This tiny pen ( is one of the most useful things I own. I keep it in my tiny 'filofax' wallet/notebook (smallest they do with 6 rings) and it means I always have a something to write with on me.

Yes this pen is great. Basically it does what it says on the tin. It writes well including upside down. Dont drop it point down onto concrete because (surprise surprise) it wont write quite so well after that, apart from that it's more or less indestructible.

P.S. Sadly I couldnt see any Filofax wallets on Amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2011 3:42 PM BST

The Field: The Quest for the Secret Force of the Universe
The Field: The Quest for the Secret Force of the Universe
by Lynne McTaggart

4.0 out of 5 stars Mind-blowing stuff, 1 April 2003
This is an excellent book.
I recently lent it to a PhD science graduate on holiday who read the thing cover to cover. Be warned that it is likely to force you to reassess your entire view of the reality! It is one of the most mind-blowing books you'll ever read.
BUT:
On the down side, although Lynne McTaggart is clearly highly intelligent but what she is not, is a scientist. And it shows. She is a journalist. And although her copy has been proofed by scientists, in accordance with her journalist training what she instictively and repeatedly does is to "simplify and exaggerate".
Thus although I loved Lynne's book and highly recommend it, my complaint with it is that it comprehensively fails to be objective. It is extremely one-sided. She fails to give adequate weight (or totally fails to mention) all the failed experiments where many of the more exotic experiments have not been replicated elsewhere. (e.g. On many occassions, Homeopathy has in fact been both proved AND dis-proved).
The second thing she fails to do is give the non-scientist reader a feel for the degree of certainty the experimental evidence in each instance has attained. Although good science necessarily does start with a single obervation - an anecdote if you will - where possible it then needs to go through double-blind, placebo-controlled, peer-reviewed (etc) studies... and the whole thing needs to be successfully replicated elsewhere.
Although it is great to see that she has pages and pages of scientific references, the untrained reader is given no sense of just how relatively significant each piece of evidence really is. And it turns out that some of the material discussed in her book - fascinating though it is - has in fact failed to be replicated elsewhere.
My final criticism is that her final conclusions are a bit of an anti-climax. It's as if she either runs out of nerve or intellect or both. The principles established in one bit of research are not applied to another. It's as if at the end of each chapter she shouts "zero-point field! zero-point field!" and then ducks.
NONETHELESS, this book serves an excellent wake-up call for the scientific world. If you didnt know that the mind of the experimentor can actually effect the experimental results that he/she gets, then wake up and smell the coffee!
Is this a revolution?
I can hear the very foundations of science and human knowledge as we know it creaking under the strain of this book.
This is a highly accessible book that ties together much cutting edge science and serves as an excellent introduction to the subject.
Dont think twice: buy it.