Profile for Bookman Pete > Reviews

Content by Bookman Pete

Bookman Pete (Plymouth Uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Safe From Harm: The first fast-paced, unputdownable action thriller featuring bodyguard extraordinaire Sam Wylde (A Sam Wylde Thriller)

4.0 out of 5 stars Meritorious on its own count, 28 July 2017
Not sure of the Lee Child analogy, but as a thriller it stood up well enough on its own merits.

In the Line of Fire (Donald Cameron Naval Thriller Book 1)
In the Line of Fire (Donald Cameron Naval Thriller Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A naval classic with a difference, 25 July 2017
The war at sea during the second World War. There are a lot of books taking this theme so hard to plot an original course, yet the author succeeds in creating an original plot with a main character well worth following. Recommended.

Glendower Country
Glendower Country

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Welsh for me, 21 July 2017
This review is from: Glendower Country (Kindle Edition)
I'll give it two stars for the quality of research, but this wasn't a book I could get in to. It is also written in the first person, which is not my favourite, but then switches perspectives. Add to this what I view as too much introspection in the character instead of telling the story.

The Remington Factor
The Remington Factor

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thrill a Minute, 11 July 2017
This is quite a thriller with a sharp plot and enough action for any reader. I also liked the main character, which is always a help. Good reason for the villain to act as they did. Recommended.

Lethal Streets (A Flood and Flood Mystery Book 2)
Lethal Streets (A Flood and Flood Mystery Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars In deed it is, 5 July 2017
Not a bad tale overall. Good historical narrative that didn't get in the way of the story. One character, I presume is Irish keeps adding expressions like so it is in dialogue and this can get a bit tedious. Apart from that a good story

Three Lions of England
Three Lions of England

5.0 out of 5 stars A well met novel, 24 Jun. 2017
I like historical novels, especially those that delve deeper than the accepted history of any event. Of course the author must ensure that research doesn't get in the way of the story. I'm glad to say the author doesn't fall into that trap. The story moves with a good pace. The characters, based on real people, are created with obvious literary licence, but this does not detract from their 'reality'.
In short, a good novel and well worth reading.

Resumption (Dawson Saga Book 3)
Resumption (Dawson Saga Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was so good that I purchased the next book in the series, 16 Jun. 2017
This book was so good that I purchased the next book in the series, The Last Battle. What more needs to be said.

The Rage of Fortune (Matthew Quinton's Journals Book 6)
The Rage of Fortune (Matthew Quinton's Journals Book 6)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fortune Still in the Balance., 9 Jun. 2017
I like historical fiction, which for me gives this book an edge, however I didn't feel the characterisation allowed me to build the connection to the story that I look for. The story is good, the research also good but for me it didn't gel.

A Glimpse of Death (David Mallin Detective series Book 7)
A Glimpse of Death (David Mallin Detective series Book 7)

3.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints, 26 May 2017
I'm not a great fan of detective fiction. Nor am I a great fan of novels written in the first person, so the author has an uphill struggle. Despite this, it ticks all the boxes. the lead character has his own 'required' demons and the plot slowly unravels as it should, tempting the reader to try and work it out and then proves them wrong. I'm not fan of this genre of fiction, but I've got no complaints.

Nelson: The Powder Keg
Nelson: The Powder Keg

3.0 out of 5 stars Fact or Fiction, 17 May 2017
I like historical fiction and I like historical nonfiction. The difference is that nonfiction is fact while historical fiction is a story set against the background of historical fact. I liked this account. My problem is that parts read like fiction and parts read like a list of times dates and events just as in nonfiction. An editor would call this fault, letting your research show, or showing off just how much research you've done. Still worth reading though.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4