Profile for Ebuyer > Reviews

Content by Ebuyer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 615

Ebuyer "Ian B" (Pewsey. UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Cardo Scala Rider Q3 Solo Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset
Cardo Scala Rider Q3 Solo Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good.....but has a few niggles, 27 April 2015
I bought this to replace a very cheap Chinese unit from Ebay as I liked the Bluetooth concept.

My kit comprises of :
BMW system 6 helmet
Motorola Moto G phone
Garmin Zumo 550 satnav

Fitting the device:

Fairly easy. I had to use the glue backed holder (there are two different ones included - one that's suitable for helmets without a base. and another one with a longer reach to get the device further up the helmet). The ear pieces fit inside a recess in my helmet, and there are "booster" pads to get them closer to your ears. The one thing that did fool me was how to change the microphone from a wired one to the (supplied) wired / boom hybrid one. The instructions aren't too clear but there a screw that you have to remove to do it. If you try and do it after you've fitted the unit to the helmet mounted base, you'll have to unscrew the assembly again, so if you want to change the mic do it before fitting the unit. One thing with the BMW helmet is the velcro fixing for the hybrid mic needs to be just at the point where the fixing stud is for the helmet lining, so it's a bit of a fiddle to get it mounted in an ideal position.

Setting up:
Easy to do but difficult to refine. I can get the phone connected for music and calls as one device, and the satnav connected as the 2nd device (you can only have two devices connected at a time). What won't work is putting the phone through the satnav and using the satnav as a phone display and connecting as a single device - it just keeps disconnecting. This used to work on my old wired system but I guess it's more to do with the phone or satnav than the Scala.
The satnav holds the Bluetooth channel open for a few seconds after the announcement, so the music takes a few seconds to restart. If I hit a piece of road with loads of satnav announcements close to each other, the music doesn't come back and I have to press the channel button to reconnect.

Battery:
Good. It's good for 5 hours with music and satnav.

Radio:
A real faff to get tuned in and it seems to corrupt the Bluetooth connection.

Volume:
I find it OK and the auto volume increase with speed actually works. I can't see a way to change the volume on the satnav for the Bluetooth channel.

Intercom:
Not used it yet but annoying that it will only connect to other Scala devices.

Phone:
Volume is OK, but difficult to make myself heard.

Overall, I like the device and will continue to use it. I don't think the technology is fully refined yet, so this is probably as good as any other unit. It came nicely packaged and seems well constructed. It's actually not much better at doing the job than the cheapo one that I had before, but that one just stopped working after a year so hopefully the extra money will be worth it for the longevity.

Misfit Flash Personal Physical Activity Monitor - White
Misfit Flash Personal Physical Activity Monitor - White

2.0 out of 5 stars About average for the technology....., 11 Feb. 2015
Well, I've had a couple of these activity trackers from other producers and they've all gone back for various reasons or been confined to the back of the drawer. I really only bought this one as it seemed to have cracked a few things that put me off the others - these being:

- Don't have to keep charging it - just change the battery every 6 months (not got there yet but that's the guideline).
- No tapping the thing to see the display. This just didn't work well on the other devices.
- Don't have to tap the damn thing when you're about to go to sleep (then forget to do it and wake up remembering to tap it and can't get back to sleep.....).
- Doesn't dissolve in water.
- Has an easy to use display.
- It's a watch as well....at a stretch.

So, all good for me and it's dead easy to set up etc. Early signs were great.

Have now gone through two units, both failed to synch (tried on 3 devices) and then lost data on a couple of occasions. One just went blank and wouldn't respond. Fortunately, both were replaced next day by Amazon then the strap (the bit that holds the unit in) broke whilst I was sleeping. I may have rolled onto it or something but nevertheless it's supposed to be worn in bed.

So I'm not overly impressed but will probably continue to use it as the current one is behaving itself.

NB. Before i contacted Amazon about a return, I emailed Misfit whose reply wasn't overly helpful - take the back off, take a photo of the serial number and attach to a reply email.....sorry, but life's too short to faff around with something that is clearly not working. The fact it has no lights, won't respond to a button press and has a fully charged battery is a bit of a clue that it's not functioning, surely?

Armel® Ultra Slim Smart PU Leather Case Cover for Amazon Kindle Paperwhite [will only fit Kindle Paperwhite (5th and 6th Generation)]
Offered by Armel-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice......, 23 Jan. 2015
This really enhances the Kindle paperwhite (which I have to admit I don't like as much as the button version) as it makes the device easier to hold and you're less likely to inadvertently swipe the screen as it gives it a little more bulk and grip. Nicely crafted, looks smart and obviously gives good protection. I like the elasticated band on the inside of the front cover that acts as a handgrip for single handed use. Magnet works fine and turns the device off OK (no issues with it turning off when in the folded back position as some other reviewers have mentioned - maybe they've revised it?).

Can't fault it and I'm pleasantly surprised by the good price.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value....., 30 Dec. 2014
Easy to use, looks OK and good price. Can't use the camera though......

Celestron 31051 Astromaster 130EQ-MD Motor Drive Reflector Telescope
Celestron 31051 Astromaster 130EQ-MD Motor Drive Reflector Telescope

4.0 out of 5 stars Be clear on your expectations if you're new to this....., 30 Dec. 2014
Well, I got this as a present after getting interested in the sky at night and just how these things all work together to affect just about everything on our planet.
If you're considering buying this, I'd strongly suggest that you do some research on star gazing in general as you need to understand what you can and can't get out of any telescope. There's a really good set of articles here;

I've read through these after my first attempt at trying to see something, and feel a whole lot better about what I think is realistic now!.

Anyway, on to the item....

First impressions were very good - the packaging is excellent and the whole thing has a heavy, serious feel to it - not like some of the toys that appear in certain outlets. Instructions are a bit vague but you shouldn't have a problem with the assembly if you take it slowly.

The assembled item looks the part, and of course you'll want to rush out and point it at something - I'd advise you to avoid this if possible or you'll probably be disappointed. Instead, just have a play with the controls and see if you can figure out the different ways which it moves - the EQ mount is really very clever but not intuitive if you've never done this before. If you buy the model with the motor fitted please note that the manual slow control cable (the guide calls the controls "cables" but they're just knobs on a flexible shaft) for the RA movement won't turn with the motor connected - just undo the fixing screw on the motor where it connects to the shaft to get a feel for how it works until you're ready to use the motor.

You really do need to set the polar alignment before you do anything else. The guide is fairly OK on this point but I missed one vital piece of information and didn't quite get it right - have a look at this video for a better walkthrough:

I fully understood the logic of doing the polar alignment, but didn't see how to view something in another part of the sky and at a different elevation without moving the telescope, so what was the point in doing this? Answer on the "Finding and Tracking Objects with an EQ Mount" in the first weblink above. Screamingly obvious, but it had me beat for a while. So the answer is, once it's aligned, you don't touch anything apart from the DEC and RA controls and it can be a bit tricky manipulating the scope......

Another apparently obvious pointer to use the scope is that you have to take the whole cover off the end - not just the small 30mm cover (no idea what this is for - maybe someone can help here?) and the cover on mine was firmly held in place by sticky pads so it wasn't really that obvious....until you look through it and can't really see much - doh!

All in all, I'm really pleased with the item and now I'm understanding a bit more about the sky I can gear my expectations to a reasonable level. My first thoughts were to rush out and buy an adaptor for my DSLR and start shooting fantastic pictures of the universe, but I'm sure it's not that simple so will leave that for a while (probably!).

If there's one thing that is a little poor, it's the quality of the threaded parts. This is in keeping with my Hama tripod (same manufacturer) and I guess it reflects the price point on both items. The metal used in the mount is some kind of heavy duty cast alloy, and doesn't take too well to being tapped for bolts. The threads on the bolts are quite fine ,and I think it would be easy to over tighten and compress or strip the threads. There was a fair amount of swarf on mine as well. I greased all the bolts before assembly, and this helped to get over the sticky parts of the casting.

The other part which needed some work was the DEC slow control cable. Mine had limited movement, and I found that the spring had travelled too far and dropped a guide (you'll know if you have the problem - don't force it). You need to unscrew the retaining cap at the other end of the control casing and realign the guide - happy to walk you through this if necessary, just drop me a mail). There are limit stops on the slow control on the DEC axis so it will come to a halt, whereas the RA control just works on a geared wheel and is continuous.

The scope is very rigid once it's set up, but any adjustment on the latitude or rotational head screws will tilt the scope in all directions as you retighten - again, it's built to a price and to be expected, just be aware of this when you're trying to view something as a tine scope movement will equate to a big change in viewing angle (you can do the maths from the guide book).

I've done a bit of viewing now, and from my limited experience, I'm impressed with the eyepieces, but as a previous reviewer mentioned I'll probably go for a Barlow lens soon now that I've done the power calculations set out in the guide.

All in all, I'm very pleased and would recommend to someone starting out in astronomy.

Chase Brand Box Trio Vodka 5 cl (Case of 3)
Chase Brand Box Trio Vodka 5 cl (Case of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 Dec. 2014
What's not to like - it's alcohol! The marmalade vodka is especially good though......

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost a shirt....., 22 Dec. 2014
Well, I guess you get what you pay for but it was worth a shot given it has some good reviews.....

Anyway, it's made of a flannel type material that doesn't hold it's shape - doesn't really matter as the thing is shapeless anyway. Arms are too short (and I have short arms), and even for a shortish person like myself it's too short to stay tucked in. The buttons finish halfway down the waist so it always looks open and untucked - it's just a bizzare piece of material sewn into a shirt type shape.

The collar has some really cheap plastic stiffeners in which aren't removeable, which will no doubt melt if you try to iron it.

My wife wears it as a nightshirt after I fell about laughing at how bad this item is.....

Neverland 3 size Pet Dog Puppy Safety Nylon Glow Collar Waterproof LED Light Adjustable Bule Small
Offered by Neverland.

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for a cat......., 9 Sept. 2014
Its 20mm wide - too wide for a cat. The smallest size is far too long for any cat I've ever seen - and probably most dogs as well. The light isn't constant around the band and it isn't that bright. Definitely not for a cat, might suit a large dog.
Biggest issue for me is that there is no snap catch, so if it snags somewhere it won't break open.
Straight in the bin.

Brodit 511309 Passive Holder with Tilt Swivel for Mobile Devices
Brodit 511309 Passive Holder with Tilt Swivel for Mobile Devices

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but OK......., 2 Sept. 2014
It's OK. Yes, it fits as specified and holds the phone solidly (check the size out before you order - there are three different thicknesses).

Good quality but it's overpriced when you consider you have to buy the bespoke bracket to screw it to. You probably need to budget £40 for the whole kit, and this doesn't include a power supply.

nb - the width specified allows for the phone to sit off the back of the bracket - you can see from the picture that the phone sits in a slot at each side. If you want an accurate fit, just measure the depth of the phone at the edge and don't allow for any curve or slight bulge at the rear. A good example is the Motorola Moto - it has a convex back but you need the fit that corresponds to the edge depth. Hope this is clear and saves you having to exchange it....

Kitchen Craft 30 cm Deluxe Cast Magnetic Knife Rack
Kitchen Craft 30 cm Deluxe Cast Magnetic Knife Rack

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice item...., 2 Sept. 2014
Quite a simple item but with a few plus points over similarly priced products in my opinion....

- The magnets are solid horizontal bars - quite a few of these racks simply have a steel cover with magnets placed at intervals inside them

- Fixings are completely hidden

- It's not too long so doesn't encourage you to hang loads of knives that you'll never use from it

The fixing method is a bit unusual, but if you follow the instructions (which seem completely illogical) you'll be OK. I'm not sure how it would come off again but hopefully it won't need to.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9