Profile for D. Lane > Reviews

Content by D. Lane

D. Lane (Paignton, Devon United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Audioquest Dragonfly Dac Red
Audioquest Dragonfly Dac Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime sound, 27 Aug. 2017
Exquisite detail. Makes all elements crisp and sharp raising sounds out of the murky depths with a beautiful balance. Chuffed to bits with this bit of kit, granted i'm a bit slow on the uptake but very glad i jumped in with both feet. I agree with another reviewer that decent sound is somewhat of a hard advert to get across. I won't say hard sell because once you hear it it's pretty difficult to turn back! If you're thinking about it and want a way to draw the quality out of your music files without loads of gear this is what you need. Fantastic.

Fundamentals of Atmospheric Radiation: An Introduction with 400 Problems (Physics Textbook)
by Craig F. Bohren

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best book of its kind. Period, 22 May 2013
This is a superb book. The calibre of those involved is second to none. The intro states that over 30 years of experience in teaching, discussing, elucidating, and experimenting has gone into this work...a veritable labour of love, but a labour nonetheless. Their very great care about the topics, and science in general, prohibits compromise, placing the highest value in a clear understanding. I pondered what that meant...not only must you be clear about how you as an author understand the topic but also how you employ language to convey exact meaning and not ambiguity. The authors state that we must have a sound grasp of the basics; a tall order given that asking questions at the beginning rarely derive the answer but more questions! "The deeper you delve into a subject, the more subtleties you uncover" to quote the authors. What they humbly don't assert there though is subtleties equates to more chances to misconstrue the understanding they are trying to convey! It takes a very measured and patient approach to be thorough and a great deal of care and consideration for those to whom it will benefit. I guess a good book gets you to question and reevaluate your premises for questioning things in the world - encouraging you with the right tools to learn how to learn, to point out and help you to pick out the principles behind things. I have a vastly different appreciation for the topic of this book having read it than before.
I've had to read it a few times though, and i still haven't grasped all largely due to my own shortcomings rather than the authors!
If you are interested in light and how light interacts with matter then do yourself a favour and add this to your library, it is a great read.

The Optics of Life: A Biologist's Guide to Light in Nature
The Optics of Life: A Biologist's Guide to Light in Nature
by Sönke Johnsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and fascinating book, 16 April 2012
First off, this book is absolutely superb! I love it. I work as a Biomedical Scientist, using microscopes and staining techniques that involve certain optical phenomena one of which really piqued my interest - birefringence and Congo Red stained Amyloid. I studied hard for 6 months talking with different, very kind and patient folk. This book would have helped a great deal had it been around then. There aren't many books like this that deal with optical phenomena for the biologist, and as Prof. Johnsen states those texts that do deal with optics are pitched for the physicist and tend to be full of maths and jargon. I think it's extremely important to understand optical phenomena especially in my area, too many just aren't interested which is a real shame.
Well done Prof. Johnsen, an excellent book, you are indeed an 'enabler' now!

Histopathology (Fundamentals of Biomedical Science)
Histopathology (Fundamentals of Biomedical Science)
by Guy Orchard

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridge between theory and practice, 2 April 2012
As the title suggests this book fills a void that has existed between the theory of what is learnt at university and what you actually get 'to do' when you are qualified and working in a histo-lab. I have to confess I haven't read all of it yet, but so far the information provided is spot on with regard to what happens in the lab (I work in one!) The layout is appealing too, not too text heavy with nice illustrations together with photgraphs of actual pathology cases. The book uses case studies to explore fundamentals and looks at the basic principles that underpin the practice. Highly recommended for students and those already practicing!
Edit - there are a couple of mistakes that I have picked up, one is regarding the quenching of endogenous peroxidase for IHC methods - it mentions using methanol and hydrogen peroxidase, it should be hydrogen peroxide. The other is a very common error regarding Amyloid and the birefringent effects - there is no such thing as 'Apple-green birefringence' (despite what you've heard!) birefringence is a process and as such does not have colour in itself! See Alexander Howie's good work on Amyloid staining.

Wonders of the Universe
Wonders of the Universe
by Brian Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars This book transmits wonder and curiosity, 10 Mar. 2011
I think, with regard to my review title, Brian Cox would be pleased. This book really is superb, it is written with a Childs sense of awe and wonder at the majesty of the world around us. An artist once said that a scientist doesn't see a flower in all it's beauty as if science detracts from the aesthetics of it, Richard Feynman - famous physicist - objected, saying I see the flower and so much more, it's beauty is not diminished with this new understanding. There is a strong thread of pride at the achievements of mankind running through this book, and so there should be! We have done some amazing things, and with equal measure Professor Cox pays homage to those great minds who have unravelled such tantalising mysteries as there are in the world and beyond. I'm a scientist myself but not in this field, I have however been looking at light phenomena and in particular about Fraunhofer lines. Professor Cox has done a brilliant job of explaining simply and in a connected way the light phenomena we experience. This is key to good storytelling that it is connected whilst expanding our view of the world and beyond.
Do yourself a favour, buy this book, get excited and enjoy the ride. The best of human endeavours is paraded before your very eyes, be humbled by it and better yet take part!
Thanks for reading
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2014 5:16 PM BST

Mollison¿s Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine
Mollison¿s Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine
by Harvey G. Klein

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent text, 16 Sept. 2010
This book is excellent at delivering up to date and comprehensive information on the topic of transfusion medicine. Of course it has an excellent heritage and the editors have done a wonderful job in expanding and pressing their mark onto the work - this is the eleventh edition! I have to confess though that I do not work in this field, my area is histopathology, but I have used this book to help my understanding of antibody interactions and I have used it to understand work a little better that I am undertaking. If you want to know about antibodies there is no better reference in my opinion! Very versatile, the bible for those working in the field of transfusion science.

Clinical Chemistry and Metabolic Medicine, Seventh Edition
Clinical Chemistry and Metabolic Medicine, Seventh Edition
by Martin Crook

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 26 April 2010
I'm amazed that nobody has reviewed this title yet. This book is excellent at uncovering the mysteries of biochemical processes. It cleverly covers organ systems per chapter and important main topics like acid-base disturbances with a clinical leaning. The case studies importantly introduce to the student the application of the principles to real scenarios encountered in the clinical setting. The style of the book is detailed with little idle commentary, I found myself learning a great deal but needing to read the chapters a few times to grasp the dense amount of information. Having said that, don't be put off, it is an excellent accurate reference and will serve anyone well.
It's main value, I feel as i've hinted, is its deliberate linking of concepts to case studies, people tend to learn better with context and through association - this is exactly its strength.

The Ascent of Money [DVD] [2008] (Two-Disc Set)
The Ascent of Money [DVD] [2008] (Two-Disc Set)
Dvd ~ Niall Ferguson

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!!!, 6 Jan. 2009
I really enjoyed this mini-series which asserts that to understand the state of finances we must look to the past and how financial systems arise. Covering the origins of money, the first banking moguls - the Medici's, and looking at insurance, loans, and the bond market, Ferguson covers it all in a very well presented narrative.
I highly recommend this to anyone in the least bit interested in understanding the fundamentals of how our economy has come to be the way it is, but also the forces that play such a big influence on our lives.
Very good, I'm giving it 10/10!

White Feather: Carlos Hathcock, USMC Scout Sniper
White Feather: Carlos Hathcock, USMC Scout Sniper
by Roy F. Chandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough Hathcock Biography, 18 Oct. 2008
This book has an unusual layout which the authors claim is their favourite style of book (one of the more striking features are that it has has a large print format!), the authors proclaiming their stubborn determination to do things all themselves and how they like it - fair
enough. I really liked the book, yes, even the style! As they say within, this is the sort of book you would take off the shelf and could delve into at any point.

The book is a 'thorough' biography, when I say thorough I mean THOROUGH. They cover all aspects of Hathcocks life with respect heaped on this man every step of the way, and rightly so, Gunny Hathcock was an amazingly talented sniper, very brave and very humble wishing to interact with anyone who took an interest young and old and from any background - just an all round decent guy! The book is amply illustrated with unique photographs from Hathcocks youth to his time in the core with photographed copies of every important bit of paper in Hathcocks life included (including driving license pictures, and his citations from the core!).

If you are looking for a book on Hathcocks exploits as a sniper look to 'Marine sniper' as this covers all of Hathcocks adventures - the authors of this book readily heap praise on this volume. Some of the more prominent stories are recreated in this book, retold by the authors and are definitely a worthy addition. All in all this is a great book - it is expensive, but I think this reflects its limited circulation, and the meticulous nature of the research carried out within, which is monumental. The authors (sniper experts themselves) stress that there has probably not been another sniper like Hathcock and probably won't be for a time and every recounted tale hints at their admiration. If you've got the bucks and you are after a biography you won't be disappointed, however, I would read 'Marine sniper' first to appreciate the mans deeds, then this book to arrive at a sound understanding of what made the man.

There Will Be Blood (2 disc Special Edition) [DVD]
There Will Be Blood (2 disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Day-Lewis
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars God awful!!, 29 May 2008
This film has to be the worst film I have ever seen, give or take. Reasons? It has no direction, no build up of characters, just an aimless meandering of incoherent scenes. To top it off the score on the film is terrible as well. I read somewhere that there is no talking for the first 20 mins which would have been just as well, but they filled the void with this hideous droning noise that irritated the hell out of me! Daniel Day Lewis is a good actor no question but having to work as hard as I did to figure out a plot (I'm not bad!) and still failing left me with questions of perhaps I missed something - now after a while of reflection, I realise there is only so much rationalising you can do, this is just a BAD film. DO NOT BUY!
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2009 6:22 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2