Profile for N. Sayers > Reviews

Content by N. Sayers

N. Sayers

RPGT 5M 300 LEDs 3528 SMD LED Strip Light Waterproof Warm White Flexible Light + DC 12V Power Adapter (Warm White-300 LEDs)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for our campervan, 1 Jun. 2016
Great for our campervan. The rubber coating makes this feel nice and robust.

We run it off 12v car cigarette adaptor, as well as the supplied 240v adaptor. Perfect.

7m Flag Pole With Large Top Ring + Swivel & Metal Ground Spike Camping/Caravan
7m Flag Pole With Large Top Ring + Swivel & Metal Ground Spike Camping/Caravan
Offered by Redwood Tackle

2.0 out of 5 stars Half mast, 1 Jun. 2016
Have to say that I am a bit disappointed with this product. It looked great, nice and solid, and worked really well for about 3 hours.

Then I took it out for the first time, and I wouldn't say that the day I used it was particularly windy - I was flying two flags (3 ft by 2ft) and both were not even blowing out at full-stretch.

The pole fell over, actually splitting the lower half of the bottom plastic telescopic part, with the ground spike still in the ground.

So I put it up again and dropped to the second-lowest telescopic section - Thinking that would add some reinforcement to the base. Well, that worked... only this time, it fell over because the ground-spike had actually bent to the point of snapping itself in two! Obviously that need some reinforcement as well.

Not sure I can recommend this. Or if I do, then I would also recommend that you put it up alongside a caravan or some kind of support, or maybe reinforce with copious amounts of gaffer-tape. Perhaps also invest in a better/solid ground spike as the hollow one just didn't cut it.

Immunity
Immunity

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Immunity (Audio CD)
I bought this when I was looking for something to listen to for a lonely, rainy car journey. By the end of track three I had to pull in and listen to the whole thing properly. Loved it.

Get yourself a decent hi-fi (or car stereo!) and turn it up loud.

DIGIFLEX Memory Card Reader SD MMC Mobile SDHC M2 TF XD CF
DIGIFLEX Memory Card Reader SD MMC Mobile SDHC M2 TF XD CF
Offered by Digiflex

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 25 Oct. 2012
This seemed like really good value, and initially it was - It worked with my Mac and PC a handful of times, and all was good.

Then I went on holiday and took hundreds of pics and this card reader corrupted almost all of them.

I think there was a loose connection inside it - sometimes when it was connected to my computer it would disappear and reappear from the list of drives (like it disconnected itself). Then, when I would look at the contents of the card again, I would get corrupt messages.

Now I have to shell out £30 on software to recover the pics from my memory card, AND get a new reader. Not impressed.

We're New Here
We're New Here

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame, 15 May 2011
This review is from: We're New Here (Audio CD)
As of 15 May 2011, this album still has, rather unfairly I think, only 3 stars here on Amazon. This is not a 3-star album. It deserves 4 stars at least.

I think something has gone a bit wrong here - Perhaps this album should not have been released or marketed as 'Gil Scott Heron and Jamie xx'?

The problem is that loads of Gil Scott-Heron fans/snobs are mindlessly buying it and not 'getting' the dubstep/electronica bit, then reviewing it as 1 star. Unfortunately for them (but much to my pleasure), the dubstep/electronica bit really takes centre stage here. Don't get me wrong - I am not an 'XX' fan/snob! In fact, I think their first album was a bit over-rated. Thankfully, 'We're new here' only sounds like 'XX' on a couple of occasions (most notably in the last tune 'I'll take care of you').

I'm not entirely sure I would agree with people who say that this is some kind of ground-breaking, genre-defying masterpiece, but it's certainly a really good, compelling dubstep album which flows nicely. Chilled in some parts (like 'My Cloud'), then percussive and dance-y in others ('The Crutch' and 'NY is killing me'), with Scott-Heron's vocals lending themselves nicely to the story of the album as it unfolds.

My tastes in dubstep lean more towards deep/techy stuff like Scuba, Mount Kimbie and 2562, rather than in-your-face, basslines and MCs (ugh). So this album fits perfectly in my collection.

All in all, this album deserves a better score! Four stars? Actually, I think I'll give it five.

Voices From The Dustbowl
Voices From The Dustbowl

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top six albums... ever!, 12 Feb. 2010
I bought this album on the strength of Fragile State's first album: The Facts and The Dreams. I knew it would take something really special to beat that album, and Fragile State certainly delivered there.

It's all lovely cinematic epic-ness: Beautiful string arrangements, subtle electronica, amazing production. Beats anything Zero7 ever did hands-down.

I have listened to this disc so much, that if there was such a thing as CD laser rot, my copy of this would be worn right through by now.

Highlights for me include New Bassa and Paper Tiger... Although it's difficult to choose any tracks.

It's just such a terrible shame Fragile State are no longer producing together...

Unbalance
Unbalance

5.0 out of 5 stars One word - Amazing, 10 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Unbalance (Audio CD)
This is a truly wonderful album. I am relatively new to the dubstep scene, but I would rank this up there in my top 2 or 3 favourite dubstep albums, alongside the likes of Scuba's A Mutual Antipathy. If you enjoyed that, or Burial, you are sure to love Unbalance.

2562 creates some beautiful, deep, rich and involving soundscapes for the listener without going too far off into experimental sounding stuff (something that some dubstep suffers from in my opinion). This was one of those albums where I was totally engrossed, right up to the, frankly mind-blowing, closing track. As soon as that ended, I hit play and listened to the whole thing again.

I've been listening to this quite a lot recently - It's rarely out of my CD player - and I'm still finding new depth in the tunes.

Really, really, REALLY good.

Suggs and the City: Journeys through Disappearing London
Suggs and the City: Journeys through Disappearing London
by Suggs

1.0 out of 5 stars Baggy rubbish, 10 Feb. 2010
This book was a massive disappointment. Now, before I continue, I will admit that I am not a huge Suggs fan... Or even a fan of Madness for that matter! But, I do find Suggs' cheeky chappie antics on TV quite amusing, and I enjoy reading about the history of London, so I thought I would give this book a try.

I really shouldn't have bothered!

First off, I did not think this was very well written at all. This is probably something I could overlook if the content had been informative and accurate. Unfortunately it was neither of these.

The first couple of chapters felt like Suggs was simply talking about nights out that he used to have in Soho. There was little or no actual history about the locations. After that, I can honestly say that I only found about one genuinely interesting location that I would want to follow-up with a visit per chapter... And there were only about 6 chapters in the book!

It was also not very well researched either. For example, when talking about a nightclub in Soho he mentions a vaulted ceiling in a basement and says some utter tosh about it rumoured to have been left over from an unfinished underground line. I have two issues with this:

1. As I am reading a book about the history of these locations, I generally expect the author to have researched whether or not these kinds of claims are true. I know plenty of London `rumours'... I want facts!

2. Any Londoner worth his or her salt can tell you that there was never and has never been an underground line planned beneath Soho. (not to mention that a basement ceiling would be much too close to the surface for an underground line). A quick Google could have told him this.

He also mentions that the Monument [to the Great Fire of London] stands at the place where the fire started. This is untrue - the Monument stands 202 feet west of where the fire started (if it were to fall down to the east, on it's side, it would point to the place where the fire started). Again, 30 seconds on Google would have found this out.

These inaccuracies just make me call into question the integrity of the other facts in the book.

Some of the maps given were also inaccurate... And there were a few too many self-indulgent plugs for my liking.

In all, I wouldn't recommend this for people looking for a book about the history of London - There are loads of much better ones out there... And I wouldn't even recommend this for Suggs/Madness fans due to the inaccurate information! (not to mention that there are probably far better books out there on that subject as well).
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2011 11:05 PM BST