Profile for DustBowl > Reviews

DustBowl

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Shake it good!!, 11 April 2014
Small, lightweight and perfect little thing to keep in your day pack for those moments when you need a spot of seasoning - can't go wrong!

Dry Season: n/a
Dry Season: n/a

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Dry Season: n/a (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book from Dan Smith. Came across it in a random search and very pleased I did.

Having worked and travelled extensively in Brazil myself, I found he paints a superb picture of life in remote, small town Brazil with the trials and tribulations that go on within and around it.

Some reviewers have clearly struggled to absorb the descriptiveness the author uses throughout the book but more fool them: the pages kept turning and I felt I was there on those dusty streets and sweltering in the sun with the characters, wanting to find out what happens next.

An excellent read and I will be seeking out more of Mr Smith's books!

The Outlander
The Outlander

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't pan out..., 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Outlander (Kindle Edition)
Quite a strange book and on the whole well written - great description of the wilderness but overly narrative in other parts. Enjoyed the beginning and the mystery of why tye 'heroine' is on the run.

However, I found it extremely hard to like the main character and felt cheated by the ending - far too convienent and we never really got to know why the chase was ended and the real reasons for why the crime was initially committed.

Frustrating but the Ridgerunner kept me in the hunt. Without him I would have given up..

Small Wars
Small Wars
by Sadie Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Great middle but poor ending, 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Small Wars (Paperback)
As I was born in Cyprus a little after these events and know the island well, I was immediately drawn to the subject matter.

Cyprus might not have had the wow factor of modern warfare but it was a war nonetheless. Jones does a great job of writing about the island/ military life at that time and the book had me deeply engrossed after a 'flowery' start.

I enjoyed Hal's wrestle with the morals and principles of war but...

I was left woefully underwhelmed and massively disappointed with such a limp ending - I mean, really?!

Very much doubt a man of Hal's character and upbringing would sign off like that...

Sendero (Sendero Mysteries Book 1)
Sendero (Sendero Mysteries Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfecto!, 13 Mar. 2014
Really enjoyed this book, set in a part of the world I travelled and worked in for many yearss. The author paints a good picture of the trials and tribulations from Peru's dark times which many people outside Peru have no idea about.

Loved the story, loved the characters and couldn't put it down!

Recommended!

Under Asian Skies (Every day an Adventure Book 2)
Under Asian Skies (Every day an Adventure Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars epic road trip!, 25 Feb. 2014
Enjoyed Sam's epic journey through a part of the world I have spent many years in, although my journey was on four wheels not two!

A good read from a good storyteller on his trusty stead!

My Kitchen Table: 100 Quick Stir-fry Recipes
My Kitchen Table: 100 Quick Stir-fry Recipes
by Ken Hom

5.0 out of 5 stars Woktastic!, 25 Feb. 2014
Got to love Ken Hom and in this case he saved my baxon, literally. Bought this to help me cook Asian food for a Japanese film crew I supported along the Silk Road for five months.

I passed the test admirably in no small way to this book and my secret remained safe!

The Liberty Book of Home Sewing
The Liberty Book of Home Sewing
by Liberty

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect present!, 25 Feb. 2014
Bought this for my Mum who is a guru in all things sewing. She couldn't put it down and still refers to it on a regular basis.

The pictures are quite fantastic, even for a heathen like me :)

The Hunger Games: 1/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)
The Hunger Games: 1/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised!, 25 Feb. 2014
Not normally my thing but in times of need you've got to read what you can lay your hands on!

Devoured this in record time because I couldnt put the damn thing down. Absolutely loved it - shame the film came nowhere close.

Knots and Splices
Knots and Splices
by Steve Judkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Knotastic!, 25 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Knots and Splices (Paperback)
Great little book for referernce and brushing up on those boy scout skills we've all forgotten over the years!

Simply explained for simple people!

Page: 1 | 2