Profile for JudithK > Reviews

JudithK

The One
The One

2.0 out of 5 stars Like others who've given this book two stars, 19 May 2017
This review is from: The One (Kindle Edition)
Like others who've given this book two stars, I was really looking forward to reading it because of its great central concept. And it was a page-turner to some extent - I wanted to know how the different plot elements would turn out.

But I found the literary style very hard going right from the start, quite lazy and cliched, and because the dialogue was also weak it was very difficult to care for or identify with any of the main characters.

I think there's a good book in here somewhere, but it needs a lot more editing to become apparent. A pity.

Belfast Girls
Belfast Girls

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry - it's sadly disappointing, 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Belfast Girls (Kindle Edition)
Like one other recent reviewer, I bought Belfast Girls on the strength of its numerous good reviews - and was sadly disappointed. I'm a Belfast girl myself and love reading books about my home city. But not this one. Its main problem is the hopelessly plodding, pedestrian style. If the author was a fourteen-year-old girl, then well done - otherwise it could use a lot of sympathetic editing. There were a number of jarring minor elements, such as the way none of the characters seemed to have mobile phones in 2007, or the way Sheila's mother chose to write to her daughter from Belfast to Hawaii to communicate some urgent, upsetting news. Maybe she didn't have a landline either. But mostly this book was embarrassingly weak - to the extent that I assume that the complimentary reviews can't be genuine.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2012 9:16 PM BST