Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for quercus_rubur > Reviews

Content by quercus_rubur

quercus_rubur (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Vanishing Acts
Vanishing Acts

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Kindle Edition)
As usual MS picoult provides a riveting, informative story with a few twists, and moral dilemmas.

Outlander Season 1, Volume 1 Trailer
Outlander Season 1, Volume 1 Trailer
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Glued to the screen!, 17 April 2015
This review is from: Outlander Season 1 (Amazon Video)
Given the story line of a woman from the 1940's going back 200 years, I was expecting the usual fantasy scenario - which I love - but this was better! The fantasy ends at the time travel and reality kicks in big time as I became seeped in 18th Century Scotland. There's a wonderful attention to detail enhanced by the Gaelic language scenes, and kilts (not the tourist kind). There's a wonderful feisty chemistry between the main characters. I binge-watched the first 9 episodes over Easter, and am now savouring the weekly treat!

The Handmaid's Tale (Vintage Classics)
The Handmaid's Tale (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars In a way I'm glad I left it until now, 25 Mar. 2015
This has been a book I've been meaning to read for years, just never got around to it. In a way I'm glad I left it until now, because the gob-smacking element is how topical it currently is. As we've seen in recent years, media coverage of crime turns people to paranoia - gated communities, CCTV everywhere, knee-jerk laws, more guns rather than gun control. In this book fundamentalists in one religion creates fundamentalist reactions in others. In my opinion Atwood's view is a visionary, but frightening perspective on the future. Women - and men beware!

Bridges: The science and art of the world's most inspiring structures
Bridges: The science and art of the world's most inspiring structures
by David Blockley

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have looked closer - no photos, 4 Nov. 2012
Although the "science" aspect of the book is excellent, I feel the "art" aspect was disappointing in that there are no photos, and a limited amount of sketches. As this was bought for a present it's not what I hoped it would be.

Trixie Pet Carrier For Cats Small Dogs Or Rabbits - Violet/Lilac
Trixie Pet Carrier For Cats Small Dogs Or Rabbits - Violet/Lilac
Offered by Pet Connection

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but quite small, 5 Mar. 2012
I have no complaints about the quality, but as it was advertised for cats and small dogs I expected it to be big enough for all cats. My oldest cat is, I would say, average in height, length and weight and it's a tight squeeze for her. Whereas I could normally coax her in with a treat, she was not happy about going in and definitely not happy with the space. My youngest cat is ok for now but he's growing fast in length and height and I think, although he's quite skinny, he's going to struggle when he reaches maturity.

Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps out the cats you don't want to visit, 25 Nov. 2011
This isn't a cheap investment so I was a bit concerned in case it didn't do the job or it was difficult to fit. I needn't have worried, though the preliminary exercise wasn't quite so easy, but it did give us a laugh.

There are apparently rare occasions where certain microchips don't work with the flap so you're advised to check first and get your cat/s to register their chip before you fit the flap. This involves getting said cat/s to put head through the flap so that the chip (located in the neck) registers with the flap.

Brainwave! Entice said cats with biscuits on the other side of the flap. Worked well with 6 month old kitten, however Mum wasn't going to put her head into anything she didn't trust so she kept putting her paw through to get the buscuits - which defeated the object of the exercise. After half an hour of entertainment and an empty bag of buscuits I eventually succumbed to picking her up and pushing her head through - I have the scratches to prove it!

It took less than an hour to fit - including cutting out the hole in the door. It has 4 options so the cats can go out but not come in, come in but not got out, lock totally, or open totally. It is neat and pretty stylish for a cat flap. They now go as they please, but haven't quite realised yet that they need to reverse the process to get back in. To be fair it is their first cat flap so give them time - bless their little cotton socks.

Update: 1 year on and it's still working fine. They both use it, though for Mum the weather has to be pretty near biblical before she'll use it to get back in the house. As stated in the FAQs the batteries have lasted 12 months and just been changed.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [Blu-ray]
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best films this year!, 19 Aug. 2010
Having been an avid reader of the books I was wary about the casting of the characters. I needn't have been. All the actors are perfect for the roles. In particular Noomi Rapace who IS Lisbeth Salander. Watch it in Swedish with English subtitles. The English version is dubbed in American - I tried to watch it for 10 minutes but it was too painful, and it tarnishes its brilliance. As a Swedish film it's great to not have actors who look like they've stepped off the front of Vogue. These actors are believable as their characters.

While films can never be as comprehensive as the book I feel that the meat of the story has been covered well. It's fast paced, brilliantly acted, but beware if you don't know the sotry as some bits make brutal and uncomfortable watching - and I don't mean in the horror genre way.

Garmin Nuvi 205 Satellite Navigation System - Newly Overhauled
Garmin Nuvi 205 Satellite Navigation System - Newly Overhauled

3.0 out of 5 stars SatNavs - not for the directionally dyslexic, 10 Nov. 2009
My family and friends have always said if anyone needed a SATNAV it's me! So I bought one. The Garmin was very well priced. Operationally it has very clear graphics, and good speech and volume controls. I like the eco settings in that it gives you a rough idea of how far, how much time it will take. However, if like me you have no sense of direction it can be very frustrating, and while it may get you there, it can take some time. I tested it on routes I knew, and found it sent me on either the long way round, or into heavy traffic, but that was fine I know how to avoid them. However, where it falls down is when the council have shut down roads for works. Last week I finished up in a dodgy area of a town I didn't know with no real sense of how to get out - the council had managed to shut down 3 roads, one had a diversion sign which led to another road they'd shut down.

No doubt if I swapped it for one worth a couple of hundred pounds it would solve this problem, but I'll just use it in conjuction with my paper maps for a little while longer instead.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2010 4:08 PM GMT

Gavin & Stacey : Complete BBC Series 2 [DVD]
Gavin & Stacey : Complete BBC Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ruth Jones
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Some series die after the first one - not this one!, 21 Sept. 2009
If you enjoyed the first series, this one hasn't dropped one brownie point! There's not a weak character among them. Even the next door neighbour is funny!

The Thick of It - Complete First Series [DVD] [2005]
The Thick of It - Complete First Series [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Chris Langham
Offered by wantitcheaper

4.0 out of 5 stars The true thick of it?, 21 Sept. 2009
Did the Government watch this series and decide to follow suit? If you watched it when it first came out you may have been thinking how far fetched it was. Maybe you've changed your mind. Brilliant, funny, but I hope it's not as true as events this year seem to show

Page: 1 | 2