Profile for A. Westwood > Reviews

Content by A. Westwood

A. Westwood (UK)

Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch Laptop (Intel Dual-Core i5 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Intel HD, OS X) - Silver - 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Great OS but not as well built as I had hoped., 9 Jan. 2012
Having owned and operated PCs since the early 90's I was looking to replace my laptop. I decided to stretch the budget and bought a 13" MacBook Pro (alternate was a Samsung Chronos or Dell XP15Z). The deciding factor for me was the aesthetics of the product along with a reputation for build quality and customer service/satisfaction. I admit I was intrigued to try out a new OS too.

The laptop was quickly delivered and I have to say initial impressions were great.

Good:
Battery life is really good achieving around 6 hours web surfing. Be warned though that if you load the CPU battery life drops to just over an hour!
Keyboard is as good as any laptop I have owned (keyboard about on par with my last Lenovo).
Touch pad is excellent and the gestures truly add to the ease of operation.
Screen is bright and clear although slightly small (but then it is 13.3").
OS x is excellent; it was easy and quick to learn.
The computer is quicker than a PC of the same specifications when comparisons have been run.

For those of you who worry that a Mac is hard to upgrade or replace the battery, it isn't just use google. I have upgraded the RAM to 8GB and added a Seagate 750GB hybrid HDD which has greatly improved boot and application load times (22 seconds to boot, 1 sec for safari)

So what isn't there to like?

Bad:
The Mac is no where as robust as it seems.
Customer service is poor.

The first flaw was that the software had not been allocated to my apple ID (created to buy the laptop). This was a problem that apple care could not solve but was resolved after multiple e-mails to the apple ID help centre in the USA. It did however take me well over an hour on the phone and many e-mails to resolve.

The second problem after just two months of ownership the charger dropped onto the lid of the laptop from only 10cm. Unsurprisingly the charger (plastic) was completely un-marked. Unfortunately the same couldn't be said of the laptop which now has a very small dent in the lid. I am an extremely careful person and this was a very small knock. I have to say I was very disappointed in how easily the laptop was damaged. I now have a protective case (macally) but it is a real shame to cover up the good looks of a computer that you partially buy for that very reason.

So in conclusion, the MacBook Pro 13" is a very capable laptop but I have to say I wouldn't buy one again. I can justify spending a lot on a computer that is good quality and going to last but I no longer believe that to be the case. If you do buy one please do buy a hard case as unlike other laptops I've owned a laptop bag/carry case just wasn't sufficient.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2012 9:11 AM BST