Profile for R. B. Lee > Reviews

Content by R. B. Lee

R. B. Lee (Cambs, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Operation Ironman: One Man's Four Month Journey from Hospital Bed to Ironman Triathlon

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read so far this year, 20 Jan. 2016
If George, the author, reads these reviews I’d like to thank him for making my train journey to and from work so much more enjoyable. I’m often giggling and chuckling away to myself while reading his books, and I have probably now become the idiot that everybody prefers not to sit next to if they can help it. The result has been that I arrive at work or home, less stressed and in a happier mood, cheers George!

His latest IronMan account is superb. I too am an occasional triathlete, but don’t have the luxury of not having to work, so although one day I’d like to tackle an IronMan, finding the training time is difficult. However, George has shown that you definitely need a good “core” (it’s that word George!) to succeed, but not necessarily the best equipment and don’t have to commit to thousands of hours of training. Finishing is the important bit. I’m inspired, and my wife is worried.

I thought this was his best book yet, what’s next in the pipeline?

ISIS Dawn: Special Forces War in Syria and Iraq
ISIS Dawn: Special Forces War in Syria and Iraq

1.0 out of 5 stars Rambling rubbish, 14 Sept. 2015
Padded out facts with very little action accounts, made worse by poor editing.

Fighting for Queen and Country: One Man's True Story of Blood and Violence in the Paras and the SAS

5.0 out of 5 stars If a well known lager manufacturer wrote soldier books, this would be the one, 19 July 2015
This is probably the best book I've ever read by somebody who had a military career in the Paras and then the SAS, describing some of the things he got up to without contravening secrecy rules. Well done "Spud" a great read.

The Water Diviner
The Water Diviner

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 23 April 2015
This review is from: The Water Diviner (Kindle Edition)
I saw the film, thought it was excellent and felt compelled to read the book. I'm so glad I did, it explained a few things that I hadn't correctly interpreted/understood in the film. The book and the film complement one another very well, so often the film is a cut down version of the book, not in this case, the dialogue is almost the same all the way through. I'd certainly recommend this book, and the film, in fact, I'll probably buy it on DVD when it comes out.

ELC Blossom Farm Clover Cow Sit Me Up Cosy
ELC Blossom Farm Clover Cow Sit Me Up Cosy

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice design but ....., 27 Mar. 2015
The velcro patches don't hold it together properly, so when you set it up as per the bottom picture of the three (with the baby sitting on the mat, and the inflatable part looking like a back-rest), it falls over backwards

3xGRDE 6 super bright LED motion sensor wall solar light,waterproof and heatproof
Offered by rebirthday

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 27 Mar. 2015
They do exactly what I wanted, and exactly as they're described.

Silent Scream: An edge of your seat serial killer thriller (Detective Kim Stone crime thriller series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut novel, 27 Mar. 2015
I'll definitely be buying the next installment

On Laughton Moor (Detective Sergeant Catherine Bishop Series Book 1)
On Laughton Moor (Detective Sergeant Catherine Bishop Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 Mar. 2015
I'll be buying the next episode.

Tayberry Mallard Wellies Green Neoprene Boots
Tayberry Mallard Wellies Green Neoprene Boots

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, 15 Feb. 2015
These have without a doubt been the warmest and comfiest wellington boots I have ever owned. I bought my current pair last March, and use them for dog walking. For at least six of the ten months I have owned them they have sat in a cupboard under the stairs, hence, I can't say they have been over-used. However, they have a design fault, and both boots are splitting in exactly the same place (see attached pictures). The split is occurring above the front in-step where the boot creases when you bend your foot. The material the boot is made of isn't flexible enough. I have contacted Tayberry to report the issue and they haven't even acknowledged my email. Consequently, I wouldn't recommend you buy this make of boot.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Two Days in Yorkshire - The Official Commemorative Book of the Yorkshire Grand Départ
by Peter Cossins

5.0 out of 5 stars I was there (as were quite a few others), 1 Feb. 2015
This book captures the enthusiasm and passion of the crowds supporting the Tour through Yorkshire better than any other book I have read. What makes it even more special for me is that page 79 is mine! The authors had appealed to the public to submit their best picture, and like many spectators, having studied the route on various maps, I'd picked my spot for stage one, months beforehand, and was in place just after six on that Saturday morning as this was my spot, and nobody was getting in my way. I'd picked a spot where not only could I see the riders close-up as they passed by me, climbing up the Cote de Grinton, but if I turned around a few minutes earlier, I'd be able to see the riders as they came up past the Grinton Youth Hostel and onto the moor itself. Listening on the radio we'd all got really excited to hear that the legend, Jens Voigt (shut up legs) was on a solo break-away. As the helicopters circling above Jens announced his imminent arrival the excitement grew to fever pitch. My picture taken from a few hundred metres distance, sees Jens "burst" onto the moor. Those of us that could see him went absolutely wild, and the roar travelled all the way up the Cote letting everybody know that the long wait was over, the Tour was finally here. That one picture whenever I see it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, the memories of that day (and the next day near Oughtibridge, and the next day in Cambridge) will stay with me for ever, but this book reinforces the memories of two fantastic days in Yorkshire, days that will probably never be bettered.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2015 9:31 AM GMT