Profile for J. Gillespie > Reviews

Content by J. Gillespie

J. Gillespie (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Darkness Lurks (Darkness Series Book 1)
Darkness Lurks (Darkness Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Why would you do that?, 5 July 2016
So glad I didn't pay for this. It ends at a key moment and you either get the second book or write the whole thing off as a waste of time. Which I did. But why would an author do that? I won't read anything else by this one although I can see from the reviews that many people aren't bothered by this ruse.

The Dolocher
The Dolocher

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific gripping read, 5 May 2016
This review is from: The Dolocher (Kindle Edition)
What a read! Because of time constraints it took me over a week to read this and for that week I was immersed in the heart of old Dublin. The author brings it all to life so vividly with a gripping tale and terrific characters. It's a shame to see this with just 3 reviews as it so deserves a wider audience. Great job by Caroline Barry and I really hope she produces another book like this soon.

Forty Days at Kamas
Forty Days at Kamas

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 14 April 2016
This is a most gripping book, well-written and makes you feel you are in the camp. It was only when I got to the end that I realised that this is the author of Dynamite Fishermen also. That was another terrific book and quite different so I believe that Preston Fleming is definitely an author to put on the wish list.

TREAD SOFTLY ON MY DREAMS: An Epic Novel From Ireland's Past  (Robert Emmet's Story): Based On The True Story (The Liberty Trilogy Book 1)
TREAD SOFTLY ON MY DREAMS: An Epic Novel From Ireland's Past (Robert Emmet's Story): Based On The True Story (The Liberty Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings the era to vivid life, beautifully written, 7 April 2016
I read so many books that I have fallen out of the habit of writing reviews but this book absolutely deserves every praise and plaudit going. You can read all the Wikipedia or other articles about Emmet but nothing will bring the man to life in the way the author of this book has. I was slightly dubious about reading something set so long ago but the subject interested me so I went for it. I'm so glad I did - the writing style is clear and treats the people in the story as humans, as alive as you or me.

I cannot praise this book and its author too highly and will happily read the next two books in the trilogy and then move on the some of her other work.

Honeystore Women's Ribbon Knot Ankle Strap Latin Dance Shoes Silver 5.5 UK
Honeystore Women's Ribbon Knot Ankle Strap Latin Dance Shoes Silver 5.5 UK
Offered by Honeystore

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 8 Dec. 2015
Superb shoes, a perfect fit and speedy delivery plus a nice touch of a little Christmas gift. Highly recommended seller.

Live At the Brixton Academy: A riotous life in the music business
Live At the Brixton Academy: A riotous life in the music business
by JS Rafaeli

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling and a must for any fan of live music, 23 Aug. 2015
Absolutely superb story of the Academy, its history, its surroundings and the characters, lovable and otherwise, who were part if its development. I can't wait for my next visit to look at it through new eyes. Many thanks to Simon for letting us into the history and for showing us what can be achieved with determination, stubborness, naivety and a fair sized dollop of good luck. Brilliant read.

Clovenhoof
Clovenhoof

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff, 22 April 2015
This review is from: Clovenhoof (Kindle Edition)
This is a fantastic read - beautifully observed, particularly the nonsense of corporate life transferred to the celestial regions. This could have gone wrong but it is pitched perfectly. It makes Satan almost loveable - if only the reality should turn out like this.

Remorse: A heart-breaking and thrilling family drama (P.I. Johnson Carmichael Series - Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Get the red pen out asap, 8 Jan. 2015
What is a pretty decent storyline was spoilt by the deluge of unnecessary detail. We really don't need the whole back story of the scrote who robbed the TV from the shop, we don't need to know what each of the emails in Duggan's inbox were about, just far too much padding.

The author needs to surrender his work to a good editor who will hone and polish it, his ideas are good but he really needs to address this issue or he will fail to keep his readers.

Father and Son (John Ray #2) (John Ray / LS9 crime thrillers)
Father and Son (John Ray #2) (John Ray / LS9 crime thrillers)

5.0 out of 5 stars More please, 12 April 2014
I had read the first book and then forgotten about it. As soon as I started this one it all came back to me and I realised how much I had enjoyed it. This book reinforces how good the character is. The story line moves along quite a bit so you have to wonder what is in store for us if there are another seven books to come. A thoroughly good read and really looking forward to number 3.

4 Track Mind
4 Track Mind

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 27 Mar. 2014
This review is from: 4 Track Mind (MP3 Download)
Four cracking tracks, all in over in less than 15 minutes, but they leave you breathless. Listening to this very loud is like being at one of their shows - the speed at which "I don't want to know" is played is incredible. Each of these lads is a master at what they do - heaven only knows what Evan on drums, Josh on guitar and Pete on bass are going to be like in five years time if they are playing at this level now.

I've seen them live four times, each time they seem to lift it up from the previous time.

Yes, I'm a fan (and in my 60s) but I know true talent when I see it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3