Profile for electricdonut@hotmail.com > Reviews

Trans-X Adjustable Black Alloy Pannier Rack
Trans-X Adjustable Black Alloy Pannier Rack
Offered by Parkers of Bolton

3.0 out of 5 stars Forget the stars, I couldn't use it..., 26 Oct. 2013
I'm no expert with bikes, so because no-one, including the guys I ordered with, mentioned that you NEED to already have the correct fittings on your frame, I have this sitting in a cupboard gathering dust right now.

So check you have the two sockets on the rear forks of the frame before buying.

Apart from that, it looks great.

Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Edition - Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (PC)
Offered by EEE-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars If you learn how to use it..., 1 Feb. 2013
I read many reviews of Windows 8 during its development, when it was officially released, and since I've had time to use it for myself - about six weeks now. I don't usually write reviews, but it seems important here, when a lot of these one star reviewers don't seem to be looking at things too objectively.

I think the average person using a computer at home - and specifically people who want it to 'just work' and older users that don't know their ISP from their GPU - could spend fifteen minutes learning how the new interface works (which may mean actually *gasp* reading the instructions) and soon be whizzing around Windows 8 with ease.

Complaints about not knowing how to switch it off (find out - you can do it in a few keystrokes), not knowing how to switch off apps (exactly the same way, except they appear in a funky new style to the left of the screen, rather than below), and anything else become irrelevant if you take the time to learn the interface.

And it's not just super slick - for the average user again, the OS does its best to sort things out automatically, without needing to become an IT expert, or taking it the the dreaded PC world 'Techsperts'.

I can see how it would frustrate geeks and people who like to be in control of their OS. I understand you guys - I've come to W8 after using XP for eleven years, and I still love messing around with it. But you only have to look at all those millions of people who have fallen in love with their Macbooks and Iwhatevers in recent years, to see that people just want a product that works effortlessly once they learn how to use it, with the same interface across different platforms, and looks super cool. Sounds like Windows 8 to me.

ASUS U32VJ 13.3-inch Laptop (Intel Core i5 3210, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pictures now accurate - awesome laptop!, 25 Jan. 2013
The photos of this model used to be incorrect (and still are on a number of other websites), showing a Zenbook chassis (you know, the one that makes ultrabook lovers start salivating). Well, this is not a Zenbook, but having done months of research into the best laptop for me, I can tell you after a few weeks usage that I'm so glad I didn't fall for their superficial charms.

I don't know what you're looking for, but I wanted an ultraportable with as much power packed in as possible, that would be future-proof for at least a few years. This laptop is still light and portable, but has the best graphics power and upgradability I could found in an Asus - and they are the best all-round laptop manufacturers in my book.

You have a discrete GPU which can handle any current graphics-intensive software you throw at it, the battery life is excellent, when you look at the screen you aren't just looking back at your own gormless 'computer-face' because it's anti-glare, and when the time comes to upgrade to a 500GB SSD and 16GB of memory, Asus couldn't have made it any easier.

So ignore all the one star reviews - any review I have seen that didn't moan about the pictures being wrong has said they loved it. And trust me, it's a bargain!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2013 3:59 PM GMT

The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World
The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World
by David Abram

5.0 out of 5 stars Words fail me..., 29 July 2011
Any words I think of to try to describe this book and the impact it had on me would just be mere hyberbole. I am reading it again after a number of years, and just marvel at the way Abram is able to communicate what Zen Buddhists might refer to as "a special transmission" - the sort of understanding poets dance circles around, and Taoists come to know by studying the wind and the water.

It's not an easy book to read, as most people I've tried desperately to force it on have told me, as he a) uses a lot of theoretical terms and expects some prior understanding of philosophy, and b) writes about profound experiences had whilst communing -if you like- with nature, and if you simply haven't already had these experiences to some extent, I imagine you would be feeling a little distanced from the message he's so passionate about conveying.

This is irrelevant though: I suggest spending a year or so studying philosophy and psychoanalysis, then taking this book on a long hiking trip with you. Trust me, it will blow your mind.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary (PC DVD)
Tomb Raider: Anniversary (PC DVD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame..., 9 Feb. 2011
After discovering Tomb Raider picking up a second hand copy of Legend, I was excited about this next episode in the series. As it is a remake of the original game, I figured it would be at least as good as Legend, but with slightly better graphics - and controls perhaps, knowing how these things are tweaked.

The graphics are better, and the controls better in some ways - worse in others - but unfortunately everything (and I mean every little detail) that I didn't like about the previous game has become enhanced and expanded upon here, to the point that I can't stand playing it.

The constant unnecessary slaying of animals (I know they're not real, but why can't she just run past them? Why upon discovering the only existing T-Rex in the world does she HAVE to shoot it in the head ten thousand times? The linear puzzles that become tedious very quickly (who can get excited about spending 15 minutes finding four different cogs?) And I actually liked the dialogue and hearing her won reactions to events.

Anyway, I thought I was converted to Tomb Raider, but this game is both boring and frustrating in equal measure.

Invisible Republic: Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes
Invisible Republic: Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes
by Greil Marcus

3.0 out of 5 stars Be warned..., 4 Feb. 2011
This book falls into a stylistic genre which is certainly an acquired taste, and understandably drives some readers up the wall. For the sake of said people's sanity, I thought I'd just describe this in a little detail, so you know what you're letting yourself in for.

Greil Marcus is passionate, highly intelligent, and was actually present when some of the historical events he described took place. What he is attempting here is create more of an impression of the events and their precursors, surrounding Dylan's undoubtedly pivotal months spent recording with his mates in Big Pink's basement. He describes the psychological and spiritual landscape that certain American music inhabits, including Dylan's, and reifies this as a town or a state, in which characters both real and fictional live their lives in a symbolic and poetic way. It's all very well written, I think, but it totally frustrated me too at times, as ultimately the title becomes a little misleading. From the second chapter onwards we are drawn further and further from the subject of Dylan and what actually took place in that basement, and rather than artfully drawing us back to what should be that central subject by the close of the book, it seems to spin off into the ether.

The book left me a little disappointed, but some will certainly enjoy it. I wouldn't suggest it to fans of Dylan who actually want to know what happened. :O)

Root Down
Root Down

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate jazz funk jam masterpiece, 18 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Root Down (Audio CD)
I have listened to Root Down (and get it) countless times over the years, and I don't think I could ever tire of it. This CD really only offers that one great - and satisfyingly long - track, as the others don't seem to quite come together in the same way. But that song, that one song, is so totally worth buying the album.

Heathcliffian Surly
Heathcliffian Surly

5.0 out of 5 stars A Touch of Class..., 18 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Heathcliffian Surly (MP3 Download)
I may be slightly biased because my friend plays in the band (go Sonia!) but I was thoroughly impressed with young Marmaduke's wonderfully eloquent lyrics and really quite wonderful style of delivery. With the air of a weary bon vivant, he observes the depravity of the civilised world around him, and offers us little hope for restitution. And yet listening to it is so much more enjoyable than that would suggest.

It's so good to see a band that acknowledges some of the not-so-well remembered periods of our rich musical history (another 80's throwback anyone? Thought not).

Lead Me On [15 Year Anniversary Edition]
Lead Me On [15 Year Anniversary Edition]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars This album blew me away, 16 Nov. 2000
Put this album on, let the heartfelt, ballsy blues of Kelly Joe Phelps wash over you, and you'll soon wonder (as I did) why this man isn't hailed as a living legend. Satisfaction guaranteed.