Profile for Sez > Reviews

Sez

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Vets at Hope Green: Part Four: A New Start
The Vets at Hope Green: Part Four: A New Start

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't enjoy the end instalment to this serial book as much ..., 19 April 2017
Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the end instalment to this serial book as much as the others. Overall, it felt a little rushed and there were just too many implausible plot leaps for me to stomach. Obviously, the ending was predictable, as is so often the case with these kind of stories, and I don't mind that if I feel that everything has been delivered in a satisfying way. This left me a little disappointed I'm sorry to say. I really feel like the author wanted to fit in more than her word count would allow so some things were skimmed over too quickly. I will read more from her in the hope that they are perhaps a little longer and more 'fleshed out'.

The Vets at Hope Green: Part Three: Too Close to Home
The Vets at Hope Green: Part Three: Too Close to Home

3.0 out of 5 stars The characters are still mostly great, although Claire's change seems a bit surprising and ..., 10 April 2017
I'm still enjoying following Sam's story and the pace of the plot means that my interest is held well.

I did feel there were a couple of cringey moments (pub lunch anyone?) but I suppose these are necessary for further developments ahead.

The characters are still mostly great, although Claire's change seems a bit surprising and a little hard to believe. The building relationship between Sam and Ruby is a good one and will lead to further revelations about Sam's past I'm sure.

Once again there was a cliffhanger ending so I'm now left waiting a few days until the final instalment is published and my pre-order gets delivered to my Kindle. I almost don't want to start another book in case I don't finish it in time to start Part 4 immediately!

The Vets at Hope Green: Part Two: Follow Your Heart
The Vets at Hope Green: Part Two: Follow Your Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed reading about the latest developments in Sam's life and ..., 9 April 2017
I really enjoyed reading about the latest developments in Sam's life and found the characters to be coming to life very well. They are mostly likeable, with the obvious exception of Adam! I even feel that there is a lot more to Joe, and a much softer side (even with humans!) than we've been allowed to see so far.
This instalment ended on a cliffhanger so I'm very glad to have the next part reading ready & waiting so that I can continue reading straight away. I just hope I don't have long to wait after that for the final part!

The Cake Shop in the Garden
The Cake Shop in the Garden
by Carole Matthews
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars The character I liked the most was Lija, 24 Mar. 2017
Something didn't feel quite plausible about this book, sorry.

Most of the characters were either downright dislikable or unrealistic and irritating in some way.

The character I liked the most was Lija, perhaps she's a kindred spirit ha!

The locations & settings made the book a pleasant enough read but it's not one I'll be recommending to others.

Nina is Not OK
Nina is Not OK
by Shappi Khorsandi

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a fantastic read and a truly impressive debut novel, 24 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Nina is Not OK (Paperback)
This was a fantastic read and a truly impressive debut novel.

It tackles some hard subjects but the addition of plenty of dark, often self deprecating, humour, stops it from being a harrowing read. Having said that, I do think it would prove to be a good starting point for discussion with older teens about alcohol, sexual behaviour and social media.

I will be recommending this book to plenty of my friends, but not my Mother (who I said I would pass it onto before I started reading it) as I can't cope with her reading some of the language, sexual descriptions etc and knowing I've read it too. Yes, I'm a 38 year old woman with a child but I'm also an idiot.

I will look out with interest for future novels from Shappi Khorsandi.

The Fire Child
The Fire Child
by S. K. Tremayne

2.0 out of 5 stars Second chance, won't be a third!, 14 Feb. 2017
This review is from: The Fire Child (Paperback)
I'm disappointed with myself for giving this author another try after being underwhelmed by their supposed debut, 'The Ice Twins'.

The issues I had with that book were still issues with this, although magnified.

The descriptive phrasing was great at first for a sense of atmosphere and to portray the location but soon became repetitive and monotonous. I found myself skim reading quite hefty paragraphs devoted to a series of adjectives seemingly demanding the book be looked at as literary fiction.

As with 'The Ice Twins' the author appeared to be making an attempt to straddle two genres and, for me anyway, failed to demonstrate mastery of either.

The tension built far too slowly and then the climatic scenes were rushed with one ludicrous coincidence after another which pushed my suspension of disbelief too far.

The misogyny was apparent again with another pathetic, simpering and highly irritating lead female in awe of a powerful, domineering lead male. Yuck! I question whether S K Tremayne is capable of writing strong female characters, perhaps he believes they are mythical?

The child's voice read as too young and therefore hard to believe.

I could go on but I won't waste anymore of my time on this.

The Tea Planter's Wife
The Tea Planter's Wife
by Dinah Jefferies

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspend your disbelief!, 5 Feb. 2017
This review is from: The Tea Planter's Wife (Paperback)
I'm a bit torn as to what to say about this book but I'll try!

This was a departure from my usual genres as I don't tend to choose historical fiction as a rule. However, the element of mystery and secrecy promised in the synopsis was enough to pique my interest.

Gwen starts the book as a rather foolish and immature young lady who is naive about many things. Her husband Laurence seems moody & rather reserved most of the time so I found it hard to completely understand how Gwen could be so besotted by him. Verity was just a vile character with no redeeming qualities who acted like a spoilt brat and was allowed to get away with it by her brother, who needed more spine when it came to dealing with her.

Throughout the course of the book Gwen has to mature as there are some traumatic events for her to deal with. However, at time she still seemed to view things very simplistically without truly considering the consequences.

I found the writing style inconsistent. Some sections were beautifully written with lots of very evocative language enabling me to visualise Ceylon brilliantly. However, other sections felt quite disjointed and there were often sudden leaps in the plot which felt a little hard to believe. Some rather major factors also felt like they were dealt with in too summary a fashion.

Despite the above I did enjoy the book and found myself reading late into the night, promising myself 'just one more chapter' so I would recommend it to friends with the caveat to persevere through some of the clunkier sections. I would be interested in reading more from this author.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the ARC I received in return for a honest and unbiased review.

What Milo Saw: A wise and surprising story about families and seeing the world differently
by Virginia Macgregor

4.0 out of 5 stars Could almost be a YA book, 29 Jan. 2017
This was an unusual read but was very enjoyable.
I felt like it might have been aimed at a YA audience although there was no obvious indication if this was the case.
One of the main issues concerns generational and cultural differences and the way in which people can interact with and influence each other.
I found the writing quite simplistic at times, and not just in the chapters written from Milo’s perspective which reinforced my opinion that this might have been aimed below adults, although there are some mature themes mentioned.
Everything was very easy to relate too. A lot of the target readers will have had experience of children of a similar age and a great deal of people have concerns over ageing, and the health of their parents.
It was mostly quite easy to see where the storyline was going but this didn't detract from the book and made anything that came as a surprise all the more enjoyable.
Some of the plot developments felt a little ‘rushed’, particularly towards the end where everything got tied up a bit too quickly and neatly but it did prevent any sense of drag within the storyline.
There are a few very good messages about our humanity and priorities contained within this book and I will be keen to read more from this author.
I was impressed that this was a debut and
gave it 4 stars out of 5.

The Vets at Hope Green: Part One: Escape to the Country
The Vets at Hope Green: Part One: Escape to the Country

4.0 out of 5 stars There were many things that I particularly enjoyed about this book, 20 Jan. 2017
I'm fairly new to these books in instalments and I'm really liking it so far!

There were many things that I particularly enjoyed about this book, which is the first but Sheila Norton that I have read.

The location was beautifully described and the characters were very well written and easy to envisage. I could almost hear their individual voices in my head as I read!

Athough this was only short it has left me wanting to know more and eagerly looking forward to the next instalment to see what decisions Sam makes about her future!

Thank you to Net Galley and the publishers for letting me read this ARC in return for an honest review.

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 14 Oct. 2015
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
Yes, there is a lot of Maths, Physics, Chemistry etc content but please don't let that put you off. It really doesn't 'get in the way' of a great plot with a really well drawn central character. The supporting characters all have something to add too. I wouldn't normally ever dream of picking up something as 'SciFi/Fantasy' as this but I really enjoyed it and will recommend it to so many of my friends.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3