Profile for P. J. Beevers > Reviews

Content by P. J. Beevers

P. J. Beevers (Poulton-le-Fylde Lancashire)

Boldini e la Belle Époque. Catalogo della mostra (Como, 25 marzo-25 luglio 2011)
by S. Gaddi
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating painter, 2 Sept. 2011
I recently visited the Boldini exhibition at the Villa Olmo in Como Italy.
I was enchanted by his wonderful pictures and wanted to purchase the catalogue.
I ordered from Amazon Italy and it has just arrived. It is a magnificent publication. My only problem is that it is not in English - but so be it.
Thank You Amazon Italy.

Van Gogh in Auvers: His Last Days
Van Gogh in Auvers: His Last Days
by Wouter van der Veen

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magnificent Publication reviewed by Bob Beevers, 13 Jan. 2011
Van Gogh is my passion !!
I am 74 years of age and have been collecting books on him all my adult life.
I now have over 200, but have to say this one really is unique and very special.
It focuses solely on the last 70 days Van Gogh spent in Auvers prior to his death on 29th July 1890. During that time he painted more than 70 masterpieces, sometimes at the rate of 2 a day, and all of these are reproduced in superb colour in this glorious book. His life during this time is covered in illuminating detail.
This book is magnificent. It is written by very knowledgeable experts, and the quality of the reproductions is the best I have ever seen.
Included with the book is a blood stained draft of the letter Van Gogh wrote to his brother Theo which was found in his pocket on the 27th July 1890 after he had shot himself.
Often overlooked, is the very important contribution Johanna van Gogh - Bonger, the widow of Vincents' brother Theo, made to the artistic legacy entrusted to her. Without her it is doubtful whether much of Van Goghs' work would have survived after his death, and this is covered superbly in the book. The world owes her a great debt.
I have tried to keep this review as brief as possible whilst still doing justice to this wonderful publication. It is not cheap, but it is worth every penny and I urge you to buy it.
If you are a student of Vincent Van Gogh it is essential reading.
If you are just someone who enjoys art it is also essential reading as it will open up a whole new world to you about one of the greatest artists who ever lived.

The Official BBC Children in Need Medley [DVD AUDIO]
The Official BBC Children in Need Medley [DVD AUDIO]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful DVD, but.............., 23 Nov. 2009
The cause is wonderful. The DVD is wonderful. Peter Kay said on T.V. that it had taken two years to produce and it is a credit to everyone involved. He also said that his Mum contacted Morrisons and they knew nothing about it. How terribly sad. After ordering the DVD from Amazon we contacted Morrisons, and Somerfield and Asda on Monday 23rd Nov and none of them had it in stock and did not know if they would be selling it. Terrible. We called at our local W.H. Smith store and got a blank response. No they didn't have it either. We eventually found it for sale at H.M.V. What a sad state of affairs. Stick with Amazon and make sure you buy this wonderful D.V.D. for your children, grandchildren or whoever. It is marvellous.( We have written this information in the hope that the powers that be become aware of the situation and can act upon it, but with Amazon you don't need the retailers anyway.)
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2009 11:30 AM GMT

From This Moment On [Limited Superjewel]
From This Moment On [Limited Superjewel]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb New Album From Diana Krall, 22 Sept. 2006
I have never written any review before and as someone who has all Diana Krall's DVD'S and CD'S, I must admit I bought her latest release - From This Moment On - out of loyalty. How foolish of me. I need not have worried. This CD is superb. Her voice is as good as ever, in fact it just gets better and better. The musical arrangements are magnificent and the backing is wonderful, as is her choice of material. Quality throughout. You can buy this CD with confidence - sit back and enjoy - it doesn't get much better than this - or will it ??