Profile for Patrick Carmody > Reviews

Content by Patrick Carmody

Patrick Carmody (South Wales, UK)

A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English
A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value if you want to understand older texts, 7 May 2014
Kindle version
This seems to me to be a fair dictionary of printed Welsh from maybe the early 1900's.
So, no modernisms. And no clear distinction north/south.
Some other reviews complain about the layout - all squashed up, no headings.
It took some getting used to, but way I use it on my Kindle is -
a) I have put a few markers into the text (Cyn-, Gy-, etc). So I can quickly get to these points
b) if that fails (and there are always problems with mutations), then I can search for part of the word
eg: for cymdeithas, I might search for "ymdeithas"
This takes a few seconds, but comes up with all the entries which contain this text (highlighted).
Of course, the best is "y Geriadur Mawr", but it does not fit in my pocket.

In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great
In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great
by Michael Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story - both for Alexander and for the Michael Wood team, 26 Feb. 2014
This makes sense of the whole story.
The military reasons for events, the surprises, the hardships and the cruelty are all explained.
And by following the exact footsteps many of the puzzles of timing and personality are clarified.
If you want one book on ancient warfare (or on the spread of greek culture across egypt and almost all of asia) then this is a bargain, and a real page-turner.
Just one tiny niggle - the reprinted photos are smaller and much hazier than the original hardback

Nofelau Nawr: Bywyd Blodwen Jones
Nofelau Nawr: Bywyd Blodwen Jones
by Bethan Gwanas

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and instructive, 26 Feb. 2014
Once I got over the north wales dialect, it was very lively
If you have learnt in south wales, you wil need a good dictionary (with north and south)
Quite a few of the short words are not explained in the book (eg: efo for gyda)
I don't think there is a tape (which would be very useful to listen in the car)

BBC Media Player
BBC Media Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok on pc lousy on kindle, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: BBC Media Player (App)
works great on a pc
Does not work on my (6 month old) colour kindle

I've no idea whether it should work on the kindle

Barchester Towers
Barchester Towers

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the book, 27 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Barchester Towers (Kindle Edition)
Its as good on the kindle as it was in a paperback
The (very few) typos are no problem
- almost as enjoyable as the tv series

Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Penguin Reference)
Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Penguin Reference)
by George Davidson

5.0 out of 5 stars The real McCoy, 7 Jan. 2013
Most modern thesauruses are based on alphabetical word sequence (dumbed down for sales volume)
So most words are repeated many, many times, which puts limits on just how many synonyms and relations can be fitted in

This follows the original Roget classification – not much repetition - and is updated.
I looked at several others - none even came close.

Excellent.

4-Hole Perforator Black - Own Brand
4-Hole Perforator Black - Own Brand

4.0 out of 5 stars definitely does the job, 7 Jan. 2013
I was nervous about the design - it is basically 2 standard punches joined together.
But the top (join) is a solid metal plate, so this is quite robust enough for general light office use

First Arabic Reader for beginners bilingual for speakers of English (Arabic Practice Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars does not deliver the promise, 7 Jan. 2013
On the "look inside" there is a useful page or so clarifing the way that arabic "sothand" (no vowels) works

Unfortunately, the book then rushes away. and so does the cd.

So the promise of beginiing at the beginning (this is supposed to be a "first" reader) is not met.

BiC Velleda 1701 Bullet Tip Whiteboard Markers - Assorted (Pack of 4)
BiC Velleda 1701 Bullet Tip Whiteboard Markers - Assorted (Pack of 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Chisel tips next time, 7 Jan. 2013
Got these becos they were cheap

Nowhere near as useful as chisel tips - lines remain thin regadless of pressure, so not easy to see from the back

Toe by Toe: A Highly Structured Multi-sensory Reading Manual for Teachers and Parents
by Keda Cowling

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no substitute, 10 Mar. 2010
Our daughter had severe difficulties at school. When she was in "special needs", she learnt nothing, when she was in mainstream she was easy meat for the bullies. While we were fighting this, we believed what the teachers said ("English - good, arithmetic poor" and so on). When we asked "What can we do at home to help?" the answer always sounded like "well, not a lot. You can trust us to do the very best for her. But, you understand it is difficult" "Are you sure we can do nothing?" "No, really, don't worry"
This went on for years.

One day, about the age of ten (! yes, I had to check it, too, but we signed the book and dated it, so it must be right), she came home so pleased with herself. "We learned lots of new words today". So I asked "What were they?" Answer - "Elephant, Underground, Umbrella". "Hey that's really good. Show me". So she did, and she could read all the look and say cards for that day. Which would have been the end of it, except one of them was upside down. That seemed a bit too good to me. So I changed some more around. She could read all of them them upside down and sideways. At this, I became very suspicious. She could even read the three long words in a mirror. Well, I can only read upside down because of long experience negotiating across a desk with colleagues, and I can't do mirrors much myself, so that was really strange.

So I wrote down "Ground" and asked her to read it. Complete blank. OK. How about "ground" (small 'g'). Still blank. How about "Under" Still blank. So I said to my wife "This doesn't make sense" and we went through it all from the beginning. She could read "mat" (with great difficulty) and "cat" and "dog" with ease but "The cat sat on the mat" took minutes to puzzle out. "Janet and John" was simply impossible for her. So we all became very unhappy (my wife became angry "What on earth have they been teaching?")
But, cut it how you like, for all practical purposes, she had a reading age of 5 (not 6).
At that point, secondary education looked like being a bad joke.

So I asked about for advice and eventually a friend of ours recommended "Toe by Toe". Now, it did seem expensive (nearer £30 then, and we did not have so much spare money) and it looked like it would take forever. But there was no alternative, so when it arrived we started right away.

The first two lessons were a trial for both of us - she was embarrassed at being unable to pronounce some single letters and short words. And I had no teaching experience at all. But we thought it would get better. So we carried on. In the third lesson, some of the letters and words had collected the magic "three ticks". I said "Yes, according to the book, you really know these words". She was immediately sold on it, took the book to the kitchen to show mum and said "Look, I really can read all this". At that point we all cried a bit. It seems so small a step now, looking back, but from that point on, her confidence grew day by day, then week by week, then month by month.

Within a year she was reading more or less normally, and her reading ability no longer held her back. She is now studying criminology, but I am absolutety sure that, without that year on "Toe by Toe", she would even now be quite unable to read the word "criminology", let alone the rest of it.

One big advantage of the book is that it is almost impossible to guess at words. So the student really has to read phonetically in english in order to move forward. And the balance of long term and short term memory means that lessons stay stuck (unlike the look and say approaches which so many schools stil cling to). And the comprehensive teachers notes allow almost any reader to act as tutor to any student who cannot read.

If your child has a problem reading - or you want to help at home anyway - then you really should get this book. Just follow the instructions and watch your student's confidence grow. It really is worth the effort. And it can make you cry.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2016 6:09 PM BST