Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for BestChickLit.com > Reviews

Content by BestChickLit.com

BestChickLit.com

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Death Sentence
Death Sentence

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic, edge of your seat read., 8 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Death Sentence (Kindle Edition)
Death Sentence is a good old fashioned heart-in-your-mouth type thriller. It's a classic tale of good vs bad, with two men determined to settle the score.

Heartbreak comes in spades as a twisted vendetta spirals dangerously out of control when Patrick Sullivan, a psychopathic drug dealing pimp, sets his sights on Detective Inspector Matthew Adams' family. At times I felt like I was watching a film, thanks to Sheryl Browne's excellent writing; Matthew's desperation, the violence and Patrick's further decline into madness played out before my eyes, making the book impossible to put down. I gasped, cringed and held my breath during various points in the story, unable to predict what was going to happen next.

The darkness of Patrick's violent mind and the criminal world he inhabits is nicely balanced against the light of Matthew's family bonds and the love they share. This leaves the reader in no doubt about exactly what is at stake as the action goes into overdrive.

A fantastic, edge of your seat read.

Healed by Love (The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor Book 1)
Healed by Love (The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Jun. 2015
On reading the blurb for Healed By Love, I was pretty sure I had this book sussed out. Turns out I was right and it was excellent.

Hoping it was one of those easy, relaxing reads that absorbs you in the lives of the characters and sweeps you up in an everlasting romance, I dived right in. Nate and Jewel gave me everything I wanted: palpable emotions, likeable characters and the kind of romance that gives your butterflies.

Dealing with the loss of both a brother and best friend, the army storyline cannot fail to tug at the heartstrings, while showing the reader that Nate is the truly the man for Jewel. Melissa Foster also showed some real class in the way she handled a potential minefield of a subject.

Although I did feel Nate’s declarations of love were repetitive at points, I appreciated that revealing his feelings signified the start of the healing process for himself, Jewel and her family. Plus, I can’t resist a cannot-live-without-you type romance and am excited for the next book in The Bradens series :)

Catch Me if You Cannes: Part 3
Catch Me if You Cannes: Part 3

4.0 out of 5 stars I’m gagging to read Part four and have the story complete., 19 May 2015
Ohhh things are hotting up in the mystery department, as Jess and Bryony employ their own brand of special investigation skills.

The romance between Jess and Leo is still going strong and the couple are just as cute as a button. But something’s a little off, although I’m hoping it’s not as bad as what the dynamic duo are digging around for, and I’ve got everything crossed that things work out for them.

Keeping up their white lies becomes a little trickier when some unexpected and hilarious guest turn up in Cannes to gate-crash the girls’ party, and Bryony’s in a bit of a tight spot professionally.

As Jess makes a crazy move at end, I’m gagging to read Part four and have the story complete.

Catch Me if You Cannes: Part 2
Catch Me if You Cannes: Part 2

4.0 out of 5 stars I’m drumming my fingers in anticipation of Part 3, 13 May 2015
We’re back with Jess and Bryony and, after they’ve wangled their way out of a pretty sticky situation, Part 2 is all about the lurrvve.

Leo continues to prove himself to be pretty much the perfect match for Jess. Their playful conversations and banter make for comfortable reading and left me with a soppy smile on my face. I loved Leo’s obvious awe of Jess’ personality and excitement at the sights around her, and their romance seems to be on the right track until Bryony appears to make a startling discovery.

Now the mystery factor has been jacked up and I’m drumming my fingers in anticipation of Part 3, hoping that Bryony’s journalistic instincts are wrong!

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly remarkable, a gripping, haunting tale., 13 May 2015
Reading The Husband’s Secret is like waiting for a storm to break; there is so much tension and danger lurking around te corner, threatening to upset the lives of our three main heroines that it’s almost a relief when finally it comes: the secret is discovered.
Liane Moriarty writes with such assured skill that you feel you must have known these characters before you picked up the book.
We have super-organised, perfect mother and wife, Cecilia whose husband the title refers to. There’s poor shy Tess whose husband is leaving her for her best friend and finally Rachel, whose daughter was murdered many years ago but who is still determined to find the killer and revenge her. And if I’m making them sound like stereotypes, well, they’re not. They are well rounded, likeable and entirely human.
Cecelia finds an old letter written by her husband only to be opened in the event of his death. And she’s fascinated, come on, who wouldn’t be? But the prospect of what is inside terrifies her but sometimes knowing the truth can be even worse than imagining it. From the moment she discovers the letter her life, and the lives of these other two, seemingly unconnected women, will change forever. The only hope is that redemption can be found.
If you like a book that explores the murky regions between right and wrong, this is the one for you. Truly remarkable, a gripping, haunting tale.

review by Nikki Mason on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

Wind Chime Cafe (A Wind Chime Novel Book 1)
Wind Chime Cafe (A Wind Chime Novel Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Annie’s life has not been easy..., 13 May 2015
Annie’s life has not been easy, and when a horrific tragedy befalls her daughter, she decides to move them to a remote island and follow her dream of opening a high end restaurant and makes do with a café while she gets her plans together. But Annie’s daughter isn’t the only one suffering PTSD. Navy SEAL Will Dozier is returning to sell his grandparents property and is haunted by events he’s seen in action. When he and Annie meet, two worlds collide, past hurts haunt, but love cannot be denied.

I have to admit that this book was nothing like I was expecting from the title. I think Wind Chime Café suggest a whimsical, candyfloss type story, when this one was dealing with really tough issues and dark, passionate emotions. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the title entirely, given the significance to the book, but I just felt it set the wrong tone.

Having said that, the story was great. The setting of Heron Island was perfectly captured and reading it, you can picture and feel it perfectly in your head. Annie is a great heroine: flawed but caring, feisty and ambitious and her relationship with her daughter is lovely. That soft side is completely contrasted by her hot attraction to Will, who imagine might become a book boyfriend for quite a few female readers!

review by Nikki Mason on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

The Crooked House
The Crooked House

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like a slow burning psychological read, this is spot on., 13 May 2015
This review is from: The Crooked House (Kindle Edition)
Atmospheric and penetrating, The Crooked House will get under your skin.

I was gripped by this book from the first few pages; the event that occurs early on, shaping the life of Alison, is the stuff of nightmares. The pace is slow and draw out, which helps keep the tension mounting, however, things do start to drag a little way in. This is mostly down to the jumping narrative, constant dreary descriptions and a confusing array of characters but the writing had a certain hypnotic quality that meant I couldn’t put it down.

The malevolent tone of the book sent shivers down my spine. I wondered would happen to Alison back in the fold of this isolated community of Saltleigh, home some strange and shady residents.

If you like a slow burning psychological read, this is spot on.

review by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of Bestchicklit.com

Game Of Scones (The Little Teashop)
Game Of Scones (The Little Teashop)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well paced, excellent characters and a light yet engrossing storyline, 13 May 2015
If the title of this book alone doesn’t tempt you to buy this book (personally, I think it’s outright genius) then I’m hoping this review will do the trick :)

When we meet Pippa, she’s experiencing the first twinges of cold feet and – suspecting her near perfect boyfriend is about to get down on bended knee – is grappling with a major life decision. Cue lots of scone making* and a trip to her beloved childhood holiday haunt Taxos for some breathing space. But things don’t do according to plan. Loyal, well-meaning Pippa finds herself, and her heart, caught up in both the villagers’ troubles and old pal Niklaus’ smile, which causes the heat to rise in and out of the kitchen.

Well paced, excellent characters and a light yet engrossing storyline is exactly what Samantha Tonge gives readers with her latest book. Pippa is an intelligent and caring protagonist and her love for Taxos and its residents will warm you, without a doubt, as will the spirit and welcoming nature of the villagers.

With summer almost here, what better way to whittle away your time than to read about a love dilemma set in an idyllic holiday village taking place over the course of some long, hot, sunny days . . .

*Warning: May make you hungry.

Catch Me if You Cannes: Part 1
Catch Me if You Cannes: Part 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring on part two next week!, 13 May 2015
Finding myself all kinds of excited on a recent Sunday afternoon, I couldn’t wait to crack open Lisa Dickenson’s latest release and be swept away. And swept away, I was.

Being introduced to BFFs Bryony and Jess was a joy, imagining myself enjoying the Cannes’ sun with them and laughing along with their light banter. As part one gets under way, the beginnings of what I am sure is going to be a tale filled with mischief and a few hilarious tight spots is set in motion as the girls arrive in Cannes.

Jess meets a fellow chocolate spread fanatic, Leo, and sparks fly immediately so I really hope something more develops there, as the pair seem a great match. Bryony, in the meantime, is determined to land a story that will raise her profile as a serious journalist and the untruths begin slipping pass her lips as easily as the expensive booze.

My only one gripe is that I was asked to review each four parts of separately and so I decided to read each one individually, instead of powering through the whole thing, which is what I really wanted to do (not so much of a gripe really, more of an impatient whine).

Bring on part two next week!

Praise Her, Praise Diana
Praise Her, Praise Diana

3.0 out of 5 stars I found the book’s theme interesting and thought-provoking to the extreme, 13 May 2015
I’m seriously in two minds about this book. On the one hand I found the book’s theme interesting and thought-provoking to the extreme: men finding themselves in the unusual position of being preyed upon by women, starting with a woman who is hellbent on making them suffer for terrible crimes. And to be honest, to have women striking back, an eye for an eye, is a very seductive idea.

On the other, many of the male characters are portrayed as either opportune rapists, violent spouses or lacking any kind of respect for women. The tone of the book seemed to convey the message that deep down all males are a threat to females, which made me uncomfortable – did it make me think, yes. Do I believe it, no.

I found myself a little lost and confused during the first half of the book – mostly down to the many characters introduced in quick succession and storylines beginning to play out – but once I hit 50%, I was in. Who was Diana? What had happened to her? Who would be the next victim? Jane was was favourite character by far; smart, full of empathy and not afraid to say it how it is. Maggie seemed weaker by comparison but as the story plays out, you begin to understand her and her insecurities.

The book doesn’t stop for a second and flows nicely, which enabled me to power through the story and find the answers I was looking for. The conclusion was something I never saw coming and left me mulling the whole story over for a long time after. This is something I wouldn’t normally read but I am certainly glad I had the opportunity to.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20