Profile for BestChickLit.com > Reviews

Content by BestChickLit.com

BestChickLit.com

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Happenstance: A Novella Series (Part Two)
Happenstance: A Novella Series (Part Two)

4.0 out of 5 stars I adored Every. Single. Word., 2 Dec. 2014
Not much to say except: I adored Every. Single. Word. After reading Happenstance part one when it first released, I knew I’d be on the look out for every installment until the story completes.

Needless to say, like the first part, it’s short and I hoovered it up within a matter of hours. The story involving Erin continues to develop and it’s just as heartbreaking. Caught up in a new life, secrets come to life that prove to be just as devastating as the reason Erin ends up with the Aldermans.

In true McGuire style, you are glued to the pages, torn between slowing your reading down (in order to prolong the book) or giving in and letting your greedy eyes fly across the words for instant gratification. In case you were wondering how I fared . . . I never did have much self control :)

Obviously I’m now eagerly awaiting part three and wondering if it will be the final installment?

review by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of BestChickLit.com

A Girl Walks into a Blind Date: Choose Your Own Erotic Destiny (A Girl Walks In... Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars will get you hot under the collar, 2 Dec. 2014
Although I’m a stick-to-one-story kind of reader, I do like the concept of the choose your own destiny novels. I think they work especially well for those who maybe don’t read as much because they become bored too quickly or find the prospect of long 500+ novels daunting.

Earlier in the year, I was asked to review a book with a similar idea but in ebook. To be honest, I preferred the ebook format over paperback, as I found it easier to dart between the choices. However, I am a massive advocate of ebooks so, in all honesty, that might have swayed me somewhat.

Whichever format you prefer, the story(ies) contained within are as hot and saucy as you would expect from a modern erotica but with an added bonus – the fun factor. Dip in and out, making the decisions and taking the story where you want, it’s simply brilliant entertainment. You can read this many times over and each time it will be different. The core of the story doesn’t change, which means you are free to go backwards, forwards, any way you choose in order to satisfy the direction you want to take.

The book is put together and written incredibly well. The steamy scenes are saucy and varied enough to get you hot under the collar and keep it interesting. Basically, this is a great read for your bookshelf and maybe even the perfect stocking filler for your best mate!

review by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of BestChickLit.com

Ignoring Gravity (Rose Haldane, Identity Detective Book 1)
Ignoring Gravity (Rose Haldane, Identity Detective Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars by the end you will be proud to be a woman, 2 Dec. 2014
Perhaps the best word to describe this book is powerful, but one word is certainly not enough. At first when I read the title I really didn’t know what to expect, but once I was just a few pages in I realised that Ignoring Gravity is the perfect title, in every way. There were so many moments in the book where I had to stop reading and go back to appreciate a particular phrase or sentence. Danby is a talented writer, both on the surface of her writing and on a deeper level.

It is clear that she understands her two main characters, Rose and Lily, inside and out and this allows you to really get lost in their story. This is a story about so many things, but being a mother, a daughter and a sister are certainly at the forefront, and by the end you will be proud to be a woman. I devoured the book in one go, unable to put it down despite the tirade of emotions it brought to the surface. But it doesn’t matter how you choose to read it… as long as you do!

review by Elizabeth A Wright on behalf of BestChickLit.com

Equinox: The Second Book of Ascension
Equinox: The Second Book of Ascension

4.0 out of 5 stars Vibrant, complex and adventurous, 18 Nov. 2014
As is so often the way with adventure series, this second novel, Equinox, is so much darker than the first.

Now ascenders Atreu and Teyth have reached the summit and Atreu has controversially completed Zenith, he is taken into the Keep, a glorious city at the top of the mountain presided by the Holy Orders of the Maelir. There, within it’s beautiful walls, he expects to find peace and enlightenment only to discover that his world is ruled by lengthy, archaic conventions which ignore the urgency of the war waging below them and the possible destruction of the mountain.

Meanwhile Teyth fights a sadistic yet passionate battle with Valkyra, leader of the Faemir who want to defeat the Maelir and rule the mountain themselves. But Arteu has discovered that there is another option, a third way. The windriders are rising, the mountain is collapsing and a threat, more powerful than the current war, is showing itself in Arteu’s talisman: the book of Ascention.

Vibrant, complex and adventurous; it’s always a pleasure to read something which is trying something different. Strasser is creating a new folklore within his mountain world – a grasping, ferocious, adult place where trust is hard won and pleasure seldom found. Beneath the new terrain and devilish creatures, lies the oft heard cry of, “why can’t we all just get along?”

review by Nikki Mason on behalf of BestChapLit.com

The Wedding Proposal
The Wedding Proposal
by Sue Moorcroft

4.0 out of 5 stars sit back, relax and be taken on a warm, boat holiday with lovely heroine, Elle., 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Proposal (Paperback)
I have never read a Sue Moorcroft book before and now I can’t wait to get my grubby mitts on them all. The Wedding Proposal is so confidently written that the reader can just sit back, relax and be taken on a warm, boat holiday with lovely heroine, Elle.

Elle has never been able to do enough to win over her parents’ affection. After marrying young and badly she buried herself in her work, until she met handsome Lucas. But that went badly too. Now, four difficult years later, Elle has been made redundant and a well-meaning but meddling friend has leant her his boat in Malta for the summer while she volunteers for a local children’s centre. But there’s another passenger on board…Lucas.

Can Elle and Lucas co-exist without dreading up past hurts and opening wounds? Can Elle ignore the disappointment in her heart when Lucas’s girlfriend shows up? And will life as a volunteer be as easy as she was hoping?

As charming and sexy as Lucas is, my real crush was on Elle. I loved her. I wanted to go out for a few chilled glasses of white wine on the marina with her and have a giggle. She’s a straight-laced gal and finds trusting difficult but has a heart of gold and a fun side that can be tempted out if she can forget her past hurts. And escaping with her to gorgeous sunny Malta was the perfect remedy for living in cold, rainy Yorkshire. Gorgeous.

Review by Nikki Mason on behalf of BestChickLit.com

But I Said Forever (Parker Sisters Book 2)
But I Said Forever (Parker Sisters Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars so full of gems that I found myself wanting more., 14 Nov. 2014
Poor old Brittany’s life isn’t all it was cracked up to be. She’s an intelligent, fun-loving woman whose husband is keeping her firmly in her place. And that place is under his thumb: at home, being the mother of his son and the ever supportive, perfect Stepford Wife. Except she’s not. Though she loves her son, she’s not a natural mother and craves adult company and comradeship, and misses a time when her husband wanted to talk to her.

After a move to a small Cornish town, Brittany for once puts herself first and gets a part time job in a lovely local bakery and hires a nanny. Not only does she relish her independence but the fiery-tempered baker there is a sight for sore eyes and all is going well…until she discovers her husband’s baffling secret.

I adore Jennifer Gilby Roberts and this new book didn’t let me down. It’s full of sparkling wit and hilarious characters, so while Brittany’s situation seems dire at times, there is always a naïve, young shop assistant or bonkers nanny to help brighten things up. Brittany is a great role model: strong but with a definite breaking point. I understood her qualms about leaving her husband after her marriage vows but I found Phillip so unlikeable I felt frustrated at her not walking out on him from page one. The book is short but so full of gems that I found myself wanting more.

review by Nikki Mason on behalf of BestChickLit

Christmas At The Gingerbread Café (The Gingerbread Café, Book 1) (The Gingerbread Cafe)

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice little treat to get you right in the chrimbo spirit., 10 Nov. 2014
This is a short yet sweet story that will have you feeling as cosy as a roaring log fire. If the evoking descriptions of yummy food and smells coming from the Gingerbread Café aren’t enough to make you fall in love with this novella, then the endearing nature of the three main characters sure will.

CeeCee is a women not to cross! I loved her character and the way her and Lily cracked up with laughter at regular intervals, which made their close relationship all the more real. I’ll be moving on the the other books in the series and I really hope CeeCee and her brilliant one-liners feature just as heavily.

Although Lily and Damon are initially at war, the pair’s attempts at one-upmanship become slightly comical and this opens the door for them getting to know each other. I would have loved to have had their relationship explored more in the early stages – lots of lingering looks, flirty comments, that sort of thing – however, Rebecca Raisin skilfully manoeuvres the story along in the limited amount of pages to give readers some feel-good romance.

A nice little treat to get you right in the chrimbo spirit.

review by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of BestChickLit.com

Chocolate Dreams At The Gingerbread Cafe (The Gingerbread Café, Book 2)
Chocolate Dreams At The Gingerbread Cafe (The Gingerbread Café, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars It’s Easter over at the The Gingerbread Café, 10 Nov. 2014
It’s Easter over at the The Gingerbread Café . . . annnd it’s ruined me. I’m pretty sure no Easter will ever be the same, as I will be forever comparing it to the one created by Rebecca Raisin!

Full of community spirit, love, togetherness and bags of chocolate, we’re taken a little further on Lily’s journey. Now living with Damon, the pair’s relationship is as solid as a rock, even when a major spanner, in the form of Lily’s snake of an ex-husband, is thrown into the mix. I found myself getting slightly emotion at a couple of events (which I won’t spoil), which then caused me to suffer major cravings for one of CeeCee’s sweet treats.

The over -riding feeling of the entire book is one of warmth. It overflows from the pages to wrap you up nice and snug on a chilly evening and when combined with the excellent writing, you’ll be glued to the pages while sporting a stupid smile slapped all over your face.

Rellik
Rellik

4.0 out of 5 stars the story will break your heart, put it back together and have you cheering for the bad guy., 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Rellik (Kindle Edition)
I genuinely like the style with which Teresa Mummert writes, she has a certain flair that settles me into the story and keeps me there. The first book of hers I reviewed was Pretty Little Things and downloading the rest of her books has been on my To Do list ever since. However, once I saw the promo for Rellik, I knew this book wasn’t going on my list; it was being pre-ordered and read on the day of delivery.

To say I wasn’t disappointed would be an understatement. It is raw and brutal and had me totally engrossed. I’m not one for bands and rock stars (even small time ones) in books but I pushed this personal dislike aside, as I’ve done many times, because from the very start, I just knew this was going to be an explosive storyline.

Rellik and Ella each have shocking backstories that have shaped them into the characters they are. Rellik is hard, fast and hell bent on retribution and causing pain. Ella is struggling to save herself while seeking the means to move on. Together the pair are dangerous yet strangely perfect, they see the best and worst in each other and bring both out in spades. This fact makes it very hard to tear your eyes away and so you’ll read on and on.

The first half of the book leads up to and sets the stage for the action to come. Best brace yourself because once the secrets come pouring out, the story will break your heart, put it back together and have you cheering for the bad guy.

Falling: The Complete Angels Among Us Series
Falling: The Complete Angels Among Us Series

4.0 out of 5 stars You’ll laugh, you’ll cry and you’ll be grabbing for the next Linn B Halton novel as soon as you’ve finished., 4 Nov. 2014
What if the man you loved was not your destiny?

Ceri is a very special woman: she’s beautiful, kind, intelligent and she can see angels. Ceri gets good and bad premonitions and can help prevent bad things happening to people, and actually, the responsibility is deeper than she thinks.

Alex, her friend at work is the one person she can turn to and who isn’t freaked out by her spiritual side, even her identical twin, Seb, is baffled by her. But as Ceri becomes more confident in her abilities and she and Alex fall head over heels in love, bad omens start affecting both of them and it seems imperative that they remain apart. But how can you live without your soul mate? How much can they both endure to appease the universe?

This is a heart-wrenchingly beautiful love story told across three books in one collection. The spiritual side is well thought out and thoroughly explained in a way that will have even the most sceptical of readers understanding, if not believing, but it’s the bittersweet romance that will capture your heart. Ceri and Alex have a complex will-they-won’t-they relationship which questions if true love is always enough. The sense of loss is carried throughout the collection, without ever becoming overwhelmingly bitter; indeed, this is a sweet story which tries to find new answers to oft asked questions.

review by Nikki Mason on behalf of BestChickLit.com