Profile for sallydogsmum > Reviews

Content by sallydogsmum

sallydogsmum

Anti Inflammatory Diet: Stop Auto-Immune Disease and Painful Inflammation Forever by following the Anti Inflammatory Diet

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother to buy unless you're already fully aware of ..., 3 Jun. 2015
Don't bother to buy unless you're already fully aware of the reasons behind needing an anti- inflammatory diet. This book will tell you nothing.

STORMTECH UNISEX PACKABLE RAIN PONCHO, BLACK
STORMTECH UNISEX PACKABLE RAIN PONCHO, BLACK
Offered by NGWorld

1.0 out of 5 stars Rain proof?, 19 Feb. 2014
This thing was excellent the first time I wore it. However that day was just a bit misty and blowy.

The first time I actually wore this in the rain, I got soaked. Other problems include: The hood slides off, in order for it to stop coming open, you have to close it too tightly to see out from. For me, at 5'4" the length meant it flapped against my knees as I was walking, and any rain trickling down the plastic made my knees wet, in the end I had to walk with my arms out in front to stop this happening. But the worst part was the total lack of any waterproofing. I think this is a spectacular fail for a product that's supposed to offer some cover.

Don't but this if you want to keep dry.

Born and Bred: The Complete Series 1-4
Born and Bred: The Complete Series 1-4
Dvd ~ James Bolam

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 19 Feb. 2014
I want to live in the 1950s!

This was a lovely, decent, well acted and scripted TV series.

When the days are dark and dank, I like to submerge myself in the ambiance of a calmer pace of life. This allows me to wallow in self indulged nostalgia......................lovely.

The Fine Art of Surfacing
The Fine Art of Surfacing

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back, 19 Feb. 2014
The Boomtown Rats at their finest. Nostalgia for the over 50's. Excellent. Suddenly I'm a teenager again, being a punk in a non aggressive way. Superb.

The Sweet Poison Quit Plan
The Sweet Poison Quit Plan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure it matches the hype., 19 Feb. 2014
I downloaded this book at the same time as the Sugar Detox: Lose weight and Look Years Younger. I wanted support I suppose, to make sure I was following a sensible approach to changing my diet and life for ever.

I have health issues (coeliac disease) and was struggling to control my symptoms despite be totally gluten free. I wanted to try the sugar detox to see if it would help. Ultimately, it did. Removing fructose/glucose from my diet has changed it without question (mostly because fructose is often derived from wheat sources, and that's enough to make me unwell).

This book left me a little confused. The authors approach seems a tad unscientific. Yes, he lauds the concept of a detox, however his approach was to consume vast quantities of sugar free soda (fizzy drinks) as he was detoxing. It seems odd to consume a product that affects your blood glucose in the same way as 'ordinary' fizzy drinks to highlight a way of detoxing. He would have been better cutting down over a few weeks, then doing the detox.

Overall, it's okay as a read, but I wouldn't use it solely if you wanted to do a proper detox, the other book was better. But if you want lots of recipes for sugar free things, there are many of them included at the end.

The Sugar Detox: Lose Weight, Feel Great and Look Years Younger
The Sugar Detox: Lose Weight, Feel Great and Look Years Younger

4.0 out of 5 stars The sugar dump diet, 19 Feb. 2014
I looked into the diet as I have health issues. I was already gluten and lactose free but still being contaminated through sugar (I'm coeliac). This was really easy to follow, and for me quite simple. As I didn't need to cut bread/cakes/pastries from my diet, it wasn't a chore doing the three day detox. Three weeks later, I have no sugar cravings whatsoever, my appetite is greatly diminished due to not having the sugar push to eat. I finally understand why people who don't have a sweet tooth can be slim: they don't have the drive to eat.

The book is laid out in a functional way, and although written primarily for an American audience loses little in translation. The same applies to us fat Brits as anyone else: dump the sugar, dump the weight. I like the little vignettes scattered through it, offering examples and testimonials from real people.

I know it's all a bit 'on trend' to follow the latest diet, whatever it is. However this book has changed my life. Losing the sugar, glucose and fructose from my life has turned it back to normal. Although I'll never go back to eating 'normally' again, at least I will be healthier for it. If you're coeliac and struggling to control your symptoms even after you've given up gluten, read this book and follow it for a month. Hopefully, it will change your life for the better too.