Profile for Dead Celeb > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant shoe, 16 April 2014
These are some of the
best quality casual/fashion shoes I have found. Well made, supportive and good looking. If you can get a UK made pair, these are a genuine ethical alternative to Nike, and better value all round.

Atomic Age [DVD]
Atomic Age [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eliott Paquet
Offered by Gayfilmlover

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 21 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Atomic Age [DVD] (DVD)
Not a bad little film, some of it, such as the nightclub scenes are shot very beautifully, and the two leads are good.
It's questionable how much content there really is, and some of the lines were so pretentious they had me laughing out loud (do French teenagers really walk around having existential conversations?), and even with the relatively short run time I was at times a bit bored. But it's worth watching, as long as you aren't expecting the French Die Hard.

Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Eazykf Bracket)
Abus Granit-54 X-Plus (Eazykf Bracket)
Price: £69.85 - £112.54

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent, strong, quality lock, 18 Nov. 2012
How does one review a bike lock? A large factor to consider in any security equipment is the reassurance it gives.

I regularly lock my bike in central London, and I can say that from the specs, the hefty feel of the thing and its high security rating, the Abus is probably is better than 80% of locks I see used to secure other bikes.

The main rival to this lock is the Kryptonite 'New York', and if you read reviews, there is little to choose between the two in terms of strength. I was tempted by the 'New York', having always had Kryptonite locks in the past and never having lost any bikes while using them.

However, I chose the Abus because of these factors-

-Comes with two keys, one with an in-built light. Also a unique key-card meaning replacement keys can be ordered. Being a European (rather than American) company, the chances of decent customer support seem higher.

-The easy-fit bracket works really well and is far superior to the poor quality brackets supplied by Kryptonite.

-The general dimensions of the Abus are designed for European/UK use(rather than American).

-Reviews of the Kryptonite lock carry stories of the keys breaking in the mechanism. The Abus feels satisfyingly solid when inserting the key.

Overall, I am satisfied with the Abus lock and would recommend it to others. Downsides? Perhaps the weight, but this is the price of security and I actually find it reassuring. Also worth noting, I had thought the dimension of 30cm referred to the entire lock whereas it actually seems to mean the length of the 'U' section. This makes it quite a long lock, potentially giving extra leverage room to thieves.

Aspire 6930G 16-inch Laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo T5800, Vista Home Premium, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Nvidia GeForce 9300 GS 256MB, Blu-ray Drive

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality tells over time, 20 Aug. 2012
Firstly, I'm no computer expert, but wanted a laptop with decent specs for the money. A guy in PC World basically refused to sell me a Sony Vaio on the basis that Acer laptops offer considerably more performance for the money.

So, I did some research and ended up buying the Acer Aspire 6930G online. Initially, I was very pleased as it does offer a lot of computer for the money, and looks quite nice as laptops go. It's fast, and suitable for playing most games as well.

After a couple of years of use, external bits started to drop off. Things like the rubber feet, but the worst has been the cover for the power jack. While this looked nice and shiny, it was only a cheap plastic cover, not well attached. Once it was gone, the the power input was vulnerable to wear.

So after 3 years, and with the machine out of warranty I had to pay to have the power input replaced, as this can only be done by stripping the machine down to motherboard level- a job for a professional computer shop. Repair bill approached £100.

After a few months, and with the cover still missing and thus still vulnerable to wear, I am facing the same problem and another repair bill.

In terms of internal hardware, the machine itself is still good, but overall poor build quality makes it for me a false economy in the long run.

Bike Lock Kryptonite Kryptolok-STD with Bracket and Cable
Bike Lock Kryptonite Kryptolok-STD with Bracket and Cable
Offered by Bike Champions

3.0 out of 5 stars Has worked for a couple years no problems, 1 Jun. 2012
I've used this lock to secure a relatively cheap (£250) bike in central London for the past 2 years, and still have it. Having said that, I'm cautious about where I leave it, and I've made my bike look as crappy as possible to try and deter thieves.
Basically, upgrade to the Krytonite New York lock if you can afford it- it gets consistently good reviews, where as this one seems a bit more mixed. You pays your money and takes your choice.

The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power
The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power
by Daniel Yergin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 1 Jun. 2012
Astonishingly readable history of oil, reads like a novel.

About the only flaw is the perfunctory conclusion, a later addition to give some sense of more recent developments in global politics which feels a little dashed off in comparison to the rest of the book. But hey, history is an ongoing thing, so forming any final conclusions is in some sense a contrary task.

Recommended.

Existential Art Therapy: The Canvas Mirror
Existential Art Therapy: The Canvas Mirror
by Bruce L. Moon

1.0 out of 5 stars What about the clients, Bruce?, 12 Feb. 2012
As a (British) art therapist, There are a number of problems I have with this book.

Firstly, Moon reacts very strongly against the over-diagnostic style of much American art therapy, which is an understandable sentiment. But his reactive stance is to simply refuse to define his creativity, and retreat instead to a kind of hippy-mysticism where he says things like "WHAT WE ART THERAPISTS DO CANNOT BE MEASURED OR COUNTED!" (Authors capitalization). In closing down the discussion in this way, Moon misses the point of the existential project and the descriptive potential in its phenomenological roots.

Secondly, one rather feels Moon's clients are in the shadow of his ego here. He includes none of their art work, while discussing his own at some length. He says that existentialists often prefer narrative instead of discourse, and thus launches into long rambling stories about himself to convey his approach. In his anti-clinical stance, none of his work seems to be reviewed or assessed, so we never have any idea of his clients experience other than Moons highly subjective expressions of it. In his world it seems, art therapy simply works, and can't be expressed any further than this.

I have a keen interest in existentialism, and so was excited to see a book called 'existential art therapy'. Moons approach seems at best a loosely Jungian form of art therapy influenced by existential thought.

This is a bad book, weak and shallow theoretically, which is likely to give students a distorted idea of existentialism; which in Moons world includes songs by people like Sting.

The Dice Man
The Dice Man
by Luke Rhinehart

1.0 out of 5 stars Too laboured, too long., 12 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Dice Man (Paperback)
I need to say straight out that I didn't finish this book. I managed 340 pages of it's 541 page bulk when I called it a day.

In the end, I didn't care enough about any of the characters to reopen the book and find out what they were doing. The idea of a random life chosen by the throw of a dice is an intriguing one, but I found the execution here unengaging.

The central character is unlikable, which isn't necessarily a turn off for me in a novel- Brett Easton Ellis managed to engage me with shallow, materialistic, murdering yuppie Patrick Bateman- but Rhineheart's writing seems to lack that flair. I found the descriptions of rape particularly problematic- in particular the idea, visualized in the movie Straw Dogs, that a woman can be forced into sex and then begin to enjoy it. The idea that 'No means yes' is a dangerous and ingrained one in a male dominated culture and is not something that a writer should dash off lightly.

If this book is considered in the context of the time it was first published- 1971- the broad swipes at the conventions of psychiatry can be understood in the cultural shift engendered by the anti-psychiatry movement and the work of R.D. Laing. But from a contemporary perspective, I found the satire rather laboured, and after the first 200 pages I found myself thinking 'Yes, psychiatry is ridiculous. I get it. Can we move on now?'

The other thing that seemed glaringly unexplored to me (unless it came later in the text) was the idea that the dice make decisions for the characters using them, when since the characters are choosing the options for the dice, they are still in effect choosing for themselves.

So, overall, I wouldn't advise another to purchase this book. I found it overlong, dated and unengaging.

Irreversible [DVD] [2003]
Irreversible [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Monica Bellucci
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Once is enough, 12 July 2011
This review is from: Irreversible [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I have owned this film for several years, but have only watched it once- that seems to be enough for now.

It's just such an assault on the senses, sickening, beautiful and horrible, that a repeat viewing never seems appealing. But this is as it should be, with the subject matter. Hollywood infantilises and casualises sex and violence, numbing us to the realities of these things in the guise of entertainment.

Noe has no truck with this use of cinema as sedative, always wanting to grab the viewer by the throat and show us something that reminds us we are alive. The violence here is convincingly horrible, and the infamous rape scene I found very difficult not to turn away from- and I've watched some fairly extreme films in my time.

If you've been curious enough to look this film up, you owe it to yourself to go ahead and see it. Perhaps just not as a first date movie, though...

From Hell - New Cover Edition
From Hell - New Cover Edition
by Alan Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype., 12 July 2011
It's all been said before, but a little more praise never hurt.

This book is probably my favourite ever graphic novel. It's rich, deep and dark, infused with Mr Moores customary passionate research and eye for the strange and occult.

I put off buying 'From Hell' for a long time because of the cost- but something like this is an investment, with far more re-readability than most other books, be they comics or otherwise. I'm currently re-visiting it with the fascinating appendices- living in London it really encourage me to look around me at this incredible city, with it's (according to Moore) rich history of pagan inclinations.

Forget the terrible film. Buy this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3