Profile for GB1 > Reviews

GB1

Roughneck 64011 Micro Pick Mattock with Fibreglass Handle
Roughneck 64011 Micro Pick Mattock with Fibreglass Handle

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect tool for the job., 6 Nov. 2014
I ordered this yesterday evening and it arrived this morning. Brilliant service. I am absolutely delighted with it. It looks great and feels great in the hand. Nicely balanced. It's not too heavy, but heavy enough to do the work that I want it to do. I'm a metal detector enthusiast and I need it to dig around rocks for their removal from the ground to reach detected objects beneath. It'll be very useful for digging in the stony areas of the beach as well. I can't wait to use it. I made a sheath for it out of an old leather belt that I had lying around, so that I can attach to my waist belt for easy carrying. Perfect tool for the job.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy for £20., 4 Nov. 2014
It took about 10 days for this item to get to me in Scotland from China. It was dispatched the same day I ordered it, and it arrived well packaged. It works and it does what the instructions says it can do. The detecting pole is sturdy, waterproof and accurate. The control box is made of brittle plastic and feels of a cheap quality. Thankfully, the faux leather pouch gives it some protection and makes it feel more expensive. The sensitivity knob, on/off switch, and buzzer toggle switch works well. It is quite chunky in the hand, even more so for someone with small hands like myself. I would have given it 5 stars if the control box had been made of a better quality plastic and if the said box had been waterproof. Overall, though, I am happy enough with it. It works well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2017 4:21 PM GMT

Discriminating Metal Detector
Discriminating Metal Detector
Offered by In21 Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced., 28 Oct. 2014
It works well enough. I've found some nice items with it - old 19th century bullets, a 19th century brooch, an ancient Pewter item, coins, Brass objects, Iron objects, Lead, Copper, and rocks with iron and lead in them, respectively. The coupling in the centre of the stem is flimsy and needs modified. I did that myself and I taped up the main shaft with strong, black duct tape to give it a more expensive look because it appears like a toy. It doesn't fail to detect metal. I should add that after a bit of practise, the detector is very accurate at pinpointing the exact spot to dig.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A SMESHING piece of kit., 17 Aug. 2013
This is a very effective piece of kit and a must for the pocket or backpack of all outdoor activity pursuers. It comes housed in its own small compression sack (carry pouch). Best worn with a good-quality, stylish hat on your head to project a smart appearance. I wear either one of two hats - my wide-brimmed Fedora, or my Australian outback hat (Without the dangling corks, of course). it would look good with a British Army style bush hat, or even a Panama or a Trilby come to that. Go on, buy a hat as well. I highly recommend this net.

Smith's Pocket Pal Knife Sharpener
Smith's Pocket Pal Knife Sharpener
Offered by Now on Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Fansharptic knife edge restorer!, 17 Aug. 2013
I bought this spruce, little instrument in June 2011. At two years old, and used almost every time I use my kitchen knives, it is safe to say that this is a very durable piece of equipment and worthy of a five-star rating from me without any equivocations. I liked the first one so much that I bought another one. I keep one around my neck on a lanyard when I go on outdoor outings; hunting, camping, rambling, trekking etc. And I keep the other on my kitchen worktop, handy for sharpening my Santokus and other culinary blades in my kitchen collection. Both are still in perfect working condition and have retained their nifty appearance as well. The diamond rods on both sharpeners still snap into place in the opened position and in the closed position as faultlessly as they did when they were new. They keep all of my knives very sharp. I highly recommend this neat, effective, little tool.

Intex Seahawk 4 Boat Set - four man inflatable dinghy with oars and pump #68351
Intex Seahawk 4 Boat Set - four man inflatable dinghy with oars and pump #68351
Offered by Stack 'm High Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice boat, but damaged on arrival., 10 Jun. 2012
This item was distributed by KMS Distributions Ltd.

I bought this inflatable dinghy as a birthday present to myself and because it is the only kind of boat I can afford. I love to fish and have often found fishing from banks, or shore to be somewhat restrictive especially at sea, so I bought this boat to give me a bit more versatility when fishing.

The boat arrived fairly quickly. I ordered it on Tuesday the 5th of June and it arrived on the late afternoon of Friday the 8th of June around about 2.30pm the day before my birthday. I was really pleased to see it, but, sadly, filled with anticlimactic expectations after noticing the outside cardboard carton containing the package was damaged. I reported the damage to the courier, filled the form and signed it.

I deliver food to people's homes for a local restaurant on Friday and Saturday evenings from 3pm until 1am, so I had to go to work at 3pm on Friday afternoon. On Saturday, I had to work in the daytime from early in the morning and then deliver food in the afternoon until 1am. This left me no time to take the boat out of its packaging to inspect it. However, when I removed the damaged, outside cardboard carton, it was plain to see that the inside carton, the box containing the boat was also damaged at the corners and edges. What is more, the box was not sealed; it was open. I suspected that by the look of the package, I had been sold a second-hand, used item, or one that had already been returned to the company and then fobbed off to me. This discovery heightened the anticlimactic expectation that I already had even further.

Sunday the 10th of June arrived, the only day I have off of work and the day after my birthday. I had planned to take the boat to my favourite fishing spot and give it a go. I took the boat out of its package at the spot where I had planned to fish and unravelled it. I was filled with excitement and quite elated at this point. Then I began to inflate the boat starting with the inner Boston valve... so far, so good, it inflated well. Then I inserted the manual pump into the outer Boston valve and inflated that compartment successfully. When I moved to inflate the floor of the boat, I was a bit disappointed to see that it did not have a Boston valve on it, but only one of those valves that you get on rubber, inflatable arm bands for when you are learning to swim. More disappointment was to come when after inflating the floor compartment, I discovered that not only did the valve release air when I removed the pump connector and had to very quickly put the flimsy rubber cap on the valve to prevent further loss of air, but I heard a hissing sound coming from somewhere else - there was a small incision like hole on the outer skin of the floor towards the bow of the boat.... Just as I had imagined - a hole in the boat!!... my feelings of anticlimactic expectations justified.

This is the downside to ordering goods online. Clearly, here, the quality control was appalling. The boat should never have been sent out to me in this condition - someone should have spotted that puncture. I doubt very much that this puncture was the result of the damaged packaging because the boat was folded up inside the box with the punctured section folded inward.

In effect, the boat cost me £88.00 to purchase and because I live alone it cost me one day's wages, about £100.00 to wait on delivery; it will cost me a further day's wages to wait for the damaged boat to be collected for replacement, and another day's wages to wait for the replacement to arrive - £388.00... that is an very expensive £80.00 boat, £88.00 with delivery.

I don't believe in giving manufacturers second chances with items such as this one - an inflatable dinghy for goodness sake. If they don't get it right the first time round then they are not doing it correctly and when that happens, it is always the indigent customer who suffers most, which should not be the case. Quality control apparently was non existent here. When that happens a full refund and a free boat in good condition should be provided to the customer and this should be made law because where there is no heavy consequences, substandard services, who-gives-a-damn and who-cares-attitudes will prevail - this is what appears to have been the attitude here. Until there are heavy consequences facing these big businesses for delivering substandard, damaged goods, the customer will always be the one paying the price of their mistakes and carelessness. They must get it right first time round when selling products this way. When there are heavy consequences, they will make sure they get it right first time, improving standards. There is no excuse for damaged goods arriving at the door of a customer. Good quality control and well-packaged items prevent damaged goods from arriving at customer's doorsteps. It is that simple.

Apart from the above-mentioned disappointment, I am also disappointed that the floor of the boat did no come equipped with a Boston valve. Nevertheless, I truly like the boat and would like to have one in good condition and to buy an outboard for it and maybe upgrade the paddles.

I give this boat five-out-of-five stars for look-good appeal and safety - five stars being excellent and 0 stars being rubbish. I give it three stars out of five because the oars are too short, making rowing awkward and difficult, however, the oars are sturdy and strong. I give it one star out of five because it does not have swivel oar rings for rowing, making the boat difficult to manoeuvre and giving the rower a feeling that the rings could break or tear off of the inflated compartment to cause the compartment to deflate. I give the boat 0 stars out of five because the manufacturer failed to put a Boston valve on the inflatable floor compartment to give the boat the appearance and effect of a serious boating craft. The current valve is weak and makes deflation a bit slower. I give the boat one star out of five for not providing a way of fixing the inflatable seats to the boat to prevent them from blowing away. I give the boat 0 stars out of five because there is not a storage box, carry box, or bag to transport the boat around once it is deflated. Unfortunately, I have not managed to try it fishing yet, so I cannot make any comments about its suitability for that task.

I hope this review has been helpful to you in deciding which boat to buy.

I may add comments to this review later, after the exchange of damaged goods for new goods are made.

Best wishes.

PS

I contacted KMS Distributions Ltd this morning after emailing them from Amazon's website about the damaged boat that they sent to me. They gave me a number to Intex's (the maker of the boat) sales agents. Intex sent me back to KMS explaining that the responsibility lies with KMS Distributions Ltd. However, KMS have not been very cooperative. Firstly, their advisor requested a photo of the hole in the boat, secondly they questioned my sincerity regarding the honesty of my claim asking me why I didn't refuse to take the package when I seen it was damaged. I told them that I reported the damaged carton to the courier, but had no time (because I was going to work) to open the complete package at the moment of arrival.

KMS then told me to send an email to them explaining what happened (I had already done this via Amazon's website). After sending this email, I then received an automated reply saying that it may take one to three days to reply to my email... what a lengthy wait and what a rigmarole!

I already regret choosing to purchase this item from KMS Distributions Ltd. It appears that they are an irresponsible bunch with little concern for their customers - their customer care is not very helpful so far.

Judging by my experience so far of KMS Distributions Ltd, I would not recommend that anyone purchase anything through KMS Distributions Ltd.

PPS

I received an email back in response to the second email I sent to KMS Distributions Ltd. Here is what they said: Dear Lawrence,

With regards to your e-mail, we are very sorry about this however the warranty does lie with the manufacturer and will need to contact them on T: 01480 414361 - this number is for John Adams but they are part of Intex and will assist further.

Kind Regards,
KMS

I contacted Intex's sales agents before I received this above-mentioned email and they were very helpful. After I explained the lack of co-operation I experienced from KMS Distributions Ltd, Intex's sales agents (John Adams UK Sales) were helpful in helping to resolve the situation by offering me a new, replacement boat under the manufacturers warranty to arrive at my door by Wednesday the 13th of June 2012.

KMS Distributions Ltd, however, seem to be very economical with their explanations as to why they believe they are not responsible for sending me damaged goods that were delivered to me wrapped in unsealed, damaged packaging. I cannot be certain who is responsible. All I know is that my boat is unusable because it had a hole in it when it arrived to me. Hmmm!! However, I made the purchase to KMS Distributions Ltd and I believe that my payment was received by KMS Distributions Ltd. Therefore, in my view, KMS Distributions Ltd are responsible for delivering to me the damaged boat.

I'll keep you posted.

PPPS

Finally, I have some good news regarding this order. After speaking to a very helpful adviser at John Adams (Intex's Sales Agents) called Karen, the situation was resolved. Karen ordered a brand new boat for me under warranty on Tuesday 11 June and it arrived at my door on Wednesday 12 June.

I have inflated the boat in my back garden and so far so good it seems to be in tact with no visible punctures. I am keeping it inflated for a few hours just to make sure there are no slow punctures.

Visibly, the new boat looks like a new boat whereas the old boat by comparison looked used.

I am a happier person today thanks to the speedy arrival of my new boat. I am looking forward to having many happy fishing days using my Intex Seahawk 4 inflatable dinghy.

I'd like to thank Karen at John Adams for being very helpful and understanding, and for making sure of a prompt delivery. Thanks.

As for KMS Distributions Ltd. They shunned all the responsibility. I shall not wittingly order anything through KMS Distributions Ltd ever again.

I do hope this review has been helpful.

Best Regards

PPPPS

Now that I have received a new boat that is in good, undamaged condition, I can give a little time to write a review on the boat's capabilities, its usefulness, and the quality of build.

I managed to set a day aside this week to get out fishing. I chose Wednesday 13 June 2102 because weather conditions that were forecast for that day by the met office suited an excursion out at sea.

I prepared all my fishing tackle on the Tuesday night, the night before my planned fishing expedition. I had all of it ready along with the new Seahawk 4 boat to be loaded into my car early the next morning.

High tide was expected at 07:34 on Wednesday morning, so I prepared to leave home at 06:30 for a twenty-minute drive to my favourite spot just off the coast of Dunure, South Ayrshire, on the South-West-Coast of Scotland.

When I arrived, the conditions were perfect. The sky was overcast, but the clouds were high. It wasn't cold and it did not look like it would rain. The sea (Firth of Clyde) had a gentle ripple on it. There was a gentle easterly breeze blowing, I guess between one and three miles per hour as predicted by the met office. Maximum wind speed that day was forecast to be seven miles per hour, switching from an easterly direction in the morning and making its way across the compass points via a southerly direction towards a westerly direction by late afternoon, early evening.

At Dunure harbour - a picturesque, Scottish, fishing village - I reversed my car down the slipway and unloaded my boat, unravelled it and then inflated it to the pressure recommended by the manufacturer. Once distended, the boat looked good. I lifted her into the water and held her at the shore's edge by a rope attached to a small anchor. I loaded her with all my gear. She looked like a fishing craft with my rods and nets on board. There was plenty of room for my gear and enough left over for me to stretch out in the boat. I then drove my car up the slipway and parked it, making sure to leave a note on the windscreen saying that I was out fishing alone on a dinghy, explaining where I intended to fish and that if I had not returned by 3pm that afternoon to notify the coastguard.

I had my waders on, lifted the anchor and waded out to thigh-high water before climbing aboard because I didn't want to risk stepping into the soft floor of the raft in shallow water in case it flexed and came into contact with a razor-sharp shell or barnacle on the sea bed to cause the raft to puncture.

I dislike wearing waders at the best of times because they really do restrict your movement, but wearing them on an inflatable dinghy is much worse than I can explain, so I removed them when I got into the raft and put on a pair of light-weight sandshoes (plimsolls).

The boat took my weight well, about 68kg. I fixed the very short oars into the oar locks and began to paddle, sitting at the bow of the boat with my back turned towards the direction I was rowing as is properly done. It was fun and exciting exiting the harbour and entering the open sea. The boat was very stable and I felt completely safe knowing that there were three inflatable chambers on the boat and that if one of them punctured, the other two would keep the boat afloat. I remember thinking it would be highly unlikely and very freaky if all three chambers were to deflate or somehow get punctured out there. I thought the biggest risk of puncture would probably be from one of my fishing hooks getting snagged in it, or clumsy handling of my fillet knife or scissors. Extra care should be taken when using these tools on board.

Many thoughts go through your mind when you are out at sea alone. I put together a few 'what if?' scenarios, e.g: what if I get hit by a freak wave and I'm thrown overboard?: what if all three floating chambers get punctured?: what if I lose my oars and the current drags my boat further out to sea?: what if my boat is attacked by a shark, or other marine mammal or fish? I managed to conjure up a few good safety precautions by thinking this way. As it happens, I did meet a lonely seal out there, which startled me slightly, as did a couple of seagulls by stealthily paddling up behind me then diving below the surface of the water and exiting it like a submarine launched ballistic missile. My heart got a thorough workout at these times, I tell you.

For extra safety, I tied a four-meter length of four-millimetre diameter nylon cord to the small hole on the oar locks using an anchor bend hitch and attached the other end to a spring-loaded, quick-release karabiner using the same hitch - the karabiner clipped to my specially-designed waist belt. That way, if I fell overboard, my boat would not get too far away from me in strong, fast currents - I could use the cord to pull the boat back towards me.

At first, I was a bit afraid to take the boat far out, but as the seconds ticked away, my confidence grew. I rowed out to about half-a-mile offshore, cast my creel, with bait in it, into the water and let it sink to the bottom; it went down about thirty-five feet. I secured the end of the creel rope to the bow of the boat. The creel acted like an anchor, stopping me from drifting; the boat stayed put. Then I baited up one rod with a piece of dead fish, kitted the other rod with some feathers and a six-ounce weight, and on my third rod, I put on a 2" spinning spoon. I cast the line of the baited rod out to reach the sea bed and placed it in the rod holder on the port side of the boat closest to the stern. The rod holder held it well, but it was not a tight fit; quite the opposite, it was loose because the rod handle has a small diameter. Fortunately, the rod holders are quite deep and hold the rods almost upright, so there is little risk of the rods falling out. My boat rod, in contrast, has a greater diameter on the handle and was a tighter fit, but it is also a heavier rod. I wasn't confident with this rod in the starboard, rod holder nearest the bow of the boat because the weight of the rod and tackle distorted the rod holder and you could visible see the stress on the welds where it is welded to the PVC boat chamber, causing it to stretch. However, I did leave my rod in the holder for lengthy periods and the material didn't tear or puncture, so I take my hat off to the manufacturers for the apparent toughness of the skin of the boat.

All went well, I caught lots of Mackerel and nothing else. There was lots of fish blood getting splattered over my new boat, but it was a great day. The boat handled the job well in fairly calm conditions. I experienced three small swells during the day; in all three cases, I felt safe enough in the boat.

I have two or three gripes with the boat, one of them is that the oar locks, while very strong, do move about a bit when rowing, and, once again, it is plain to see that stress is being placed on the welds where they join the PVC chamber. I would have liked swivel oar locks on the boat to take away this stress factor. The second gripe, is that the oars are very short, making rowing awkward and difficult, and also giving only a small part of the oars at their ends just enough room for the oar holders at the side of the boat to grip onto. I did not use these devices in fear of the oars falling out and into the sea, leaving me with no means to power the boat to port; I kept them inside the boat, which took up valuable room, but they were not a great hindrance.

The other disappointment I felt with the boat is that it does not have a Boston Valve on the inflatable compartment on the floor. this makes deflating the boat completely very difficult and slow, and makes packing the boat to its original packaged size nigh on impossible.

Nevertheless, I had a great day and caught some nice fish to eat. I only kill fish to eat them, so I didn't take many home. In total, I caught twenty-seven fish, all Mackerel. I returned twenty of them and killed seven. I filleted four of these fish for myself and three for my neighbour to whom I promised to give some of my catch.

When I arrived home, I washed all my equipment and boat with some warm, not hot, soapy water using a mild car shampoo detergent to take the salt water off of the metal parts of my reels and rods, and to take the fish blood and scales off of my boat so that it doesn't smell when in storage. This boating and fishing game isn't a stroll in the park, you know; it is hard, time consuming work, but very interesting and challenging, satisfying and great fun.

We got off to a bad start with this purchase order, but Wednesday's successful outing has made up for it a bit.

I do feel a little bit jealous when I see glass-fibre fishing vessels about the thirteen feet to seventeen feet class on the water with cabins and outboards, but, for now, I am happy with my Intex, eleven-and-a-half feet Seahawk 4 inflatable dinghy. I am hoping to take her out to sea again this coming Sunday, weather permitting, to do more fishing.

Best wishes
Comment Comments (35) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2017 6:17 PM BST

Silverline 633567 Torque Wrench 0.5 inch Drive 28-210 Nm
Silverline 633567 Torque Wrench 0.5 inch Drive 28-210 Nm

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent equipment!, 21 May 2012
I ordered this item after normal working hours on Thursday the 17th of May 2012 and it arrived by courier on the morning of Monday the 21st of May 2012. The wrench was perfectly packaged and arrived undamaged and wrapped neatly and securely. Inside its handy, plastic storage box, it came complete with a 125mm 1/2" chrome vanadium extension bar and a 1/2"-3/8" converter as described on amazon.co.uk's website. Excellent service provided by amazon.co.uk. The quality of this wrench seems to be very high. It has a 1/2" drive. The chrome vanadium finish is flawless. The wrench is robustly made. The torque adjustments are made using the hand grip of the wrench, which has a locking mechanism at its base in the form of a locking nut with a 4mm hole drilled through it so that a piece of metal (I use an allen key) can be passed through it so that it can be tightened well enough to lock the torque setting in place. The torque settings are engraved on the shaft of the wrench. The settings are easily understood and adjustments can be made easily by rotating the hand grip clockwise to increase torque and anticlockwise to decrease torque. There are further finer torque increments engraved on the hand grip. How to use these increments is described in the instruction leaflet. The ratchet mechanism can be reversed. Personally, I would not use a torque wrench of any brand to undo nuts and bolts of any kind.

I have used the wrench only at one setting so far to tighten the wheel nuts of my car, and not only am I very impressed with the functioning of the device, but I am also extremely impressed with the look of it and how well it seems to have been made and put together. Although the inside mechanisms cannot be seen, the outside of the wrench looks fantastic. If it continues to work as well as it has so far and provides continued accurate functionality, and remains as good looking after being cleaned with a soft cloth and smeared with a little coating of clean oil after each use, I shall recommend this torque wrench to all would-be D.I.Y enthusiasts. The added bonus to purchasing this wrench at the very reasonable cost that it was is that it comes with a free forever guarantee, which is stated on the box. All you need to do to activate it, is go on line to Silverline Tool's website, enter some details about the purchase and part number of the wrench. You will then click on the download tab to download a PDF file to print off your lifetime guarantee. I keep the printed copy folded up inside the storage box that comes with the wrench along with the instructions... it is that simple. Brilliant, well done Silverline! So far, I am very happy with my new torque wrench.

Expert tip: Remember to store your torque wrench on or below its lowest torque setting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2014 9:31 PM GMT

akasa AK-CR-02BK lite Card Reader
akasa AK-CR-02BK lite Card Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 July 2011
This is a really nice little device; it looks great sitting next to my computer. It has a very high quality matt black leather look finish to it with a quality alloy company logo slightly raised on the surface of the casing. The front and rear sides of the device have polished aluminium surfaces - no cheap plastics here. The casing itself is sturdy, has a robust feel to it, and is made of aluminium. There is a good length USB cable supplied with the device, and it plugs into a strong, mini USB socket, which is located on the rear of the card reader. All of the card slots are strong and hold the cards perfectly with easy access and removal of the cards. There are descriptions telling you which card slot is for which card and arrows directing you to which way your card should be inserted into the slot printed above and below each slot - this is easy to understand and looks good, made to a very high standard. When the USB cable is connected to the computer, an attractive blue dot light emits from the rear of the card reader, and when a card is inserted into any of the card reading slots, a green dot light emits and flashes on the front of the device. A mini disk is provided with this product containing some software so that the SIM reading and Smart Card Reading facility can be used. Everything ran smoothly and works well. I found that the best way to load the software is to connect the device to the USB socket of the computer, allowing the computer to load the preinstalled software, once that was completed, I then inserted the 3.5" disk to the ROM drive and allowed autorun to load the software while the device was still connected to the computer. This process took no more than 10 minutes (my computer is slow at the best of times, but it works well). Once the disk software had installed I found the software located in the start menu named, 'USB 2.0 Card Reader Software', I clicked on that and found 'SIM Edit', I clicked on that and the software opened. Place the SIM into the device, the green dot light will flash to let you know that the SIM has been detected, the green light then stops flashing, remaining on, and the software on screen will load all the information contained within the SIM card - easy. And the rest is self-explanatory. I really like this little device; it is gadgetry at its very best - compact and neat. Brilliant!

My computer specifications are:

Operating System Windows Vista Home Basic
Rating 1.0 Windows Experience Index
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 560 @ 2.13GHz 2.13GHz
Memory (RAM) 512MB
System Type 32-bit Operating System
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2011 11:57 AM BST