Profile for Carina > Reviews

Content by Carina

Carina

Scotland (World Mountain Ranges)
Scotland (World Mountain Ranges)
by Chris Townsend

3.0 out of 5 stars For inspiration rather than planning, 18 Dec. 2011
Must admit I was a bit disappointed. From other reviews I somehow believed the book would give route suggestions a la "The Munros", but that wasn't the case. Beautiful pictures and basic maps gave inspiration though. The text on suggested ridge walks could've been more comprehensive. Not a book for route planning, but for inspiration.

Cairngorm John
Cairngorm John
by John Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Pageturner in cold conditions, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Cairngorm John (Paperback)
An avid hillwalker myself I found this book utterly delightful, despite its many tragic reminiscences. I already thought these mountain rescue guys did a tremendous job, but now that I've followed them on winter rescues, night rescues and winter rescues at night I feel a huge admiration for their dedication. This is a book I would recommend EVERY hillwalker, climber and hiker. But even more so those who believe hillwalking is a walk in a park. (As can be read in one chapter, thinking so can indeed land you in trouble...) The book is captivating and turns its own pages. Think it's great that these real stories are told. Now I look forward to the other teams follow suit. Always humbling to read of incidents on YOUR hill. In this case I must admit that Cairngorm is not my "home area". In fact I've only been in this particular region once, this September, and I must say I'm glad I read the book after. Now I recognised the places he wrote about, but I guess had I read the book first my walk to Ben Macdhui and Cairn Gorm m-i-g-h-t have been spoiled by recognition of "that's where he died, that's where he died, that's where he was found"... All in all - go read!

Cash [DVD] [2010]
Cash [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean
Offered by wantitcheaper

1.0 out of 5 stars Cash back, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Cash [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Feels like I've seen this c**p before... Oh well, could be used as a cure for insomnia, so not entirely useless then.

Adam And Paul [DVD] [2004]
Adam And Paul [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Tom Murphy
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragicomedy at its best, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Adam And Paul [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Two homeless junkies in Dublin, how fun can it be? This fun, it seems! While at the same time gripping my heart I found myself chuckle and even laugh out laud with these guys and their struggles to get through the day. There are some really unforgivable scenes in the film and some lovely quotes. First time I watched it (in the cinema) the small (funniest) guy had just passed away. These news served as a ground check and added to the reality of the film, for humour aside, the guys were no actors. Sadly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2012 5:18 PM BST

BAZINGA! The Big Bang Theory (Sheldon Cooper) T-Shirt - Orange - XXL
BAZINGA! The Big Bang Theory (Sheldon Cooper) T-Shirt - Orange - XXL
Offered by Vertex Graphics

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick delivery for bright t-shirt, 18 Dec. 2011
Speedy delivery, I should say. Arrived almost a week before due date! Colour brighter than on picture. (for this particular situation it caused problems to match with a certain cardigan, but then again, I'm a girl. :) Fab on its own though!