Profile for Patience > Reviews

The Minotaur
The Minotaur
by Barbara Vine

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 April 2009
This review is from: The Minotaur (Paperback)
I'm afraid I agree with the reviewer who said they'd felt they'd wasted time reading this book. I felt the same way. I had been looking forward to a mystery, but everything seems to be spelt out and explained to the reader...there's nothing to discover for oneself here! I could not relate to any of the characters at all and quite frankly couldn't have cared if they had all perished in the end!

Dying Light (Logan McRae, Book 2)
Dying Light (Logan McRae, Book 2)
by Stuart MacBride

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 27 April 2009
I wish I had taken more notice of the one and two star reviews. I was taken in by the five stars! I could not connect with any of the 'characters' even after 120 pages. The story was boring and depressing. Everyone seems to be rude and crass and to hate what they're doing. I gave up and will give the book away...if anyone wants to read it! I won't bother with this author again.

The Truth
The Truth
by Peter James
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive read!, 18 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Truth (Mass Market Paperback)
When I realised the plot involved devil worshippers, I wondered how plausible it could be. But the tension builds up right from the beginning and what happens to the characters seems completely plausible. I read this book very quickly, with bated breath and couldn't put it down. Even if you don't believe in pure evil, this story shows that many people do, and the lengths they will go to further their aims. It makes you wonder about the source of evil doings around us, and how vulnerable we may be to them unknowingly . The writing is intelligent and informed too.

Shopaholic Abroad
Shopaholic Abroad
by Sophie Kinsella

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit., 8 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Shopaholic Abroad (Paperback)
I've become a Kinsella fan, ever since I read The Undomestic Goddess a few months ago. There's a smile a page in this one too, and many laughs... Light but intelligent reading, perfect for curling up on the sofa on a winter's day. Definitely a 'cheerer upper'!

Between Two Seas
Between Two Seas
by Marie-Louise Jensen

2.0 out of 5 stars Children's book!, 8 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Between Two Seas (Paperback)
When I bought this I didn't realise it was a children's book, so was disappointed. It should have been made clearer that it's more suited to children or young people. It is well written, but I found it boring and predictable, and too simple, so didn't bother to finish it. I will donate it and hope someone else finds it enjoyable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2009 3:16 PM GMT

2009 Monet Pocket Deluxe Diary
2009 Monet Pocket Deluxe Diary
by teNeues Publishing Group
Edition: Calendar

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 8 Feb. 2009
This is a pocket size diary and is good value as it's well made and attractive, but the paintings depicted are so small you need a magnifying glass! The publishers could have used a full page for the prints at least!

How to Develop a Brilliant Memory (Week by Week Series): 50 Proven Ways to Enhance Your Memory Skills: 52 Proven Ways to Enhance Your Memory Skills
by Dominic O'Brien

5.0 out of 5 stars It really does work!, 21 Dec. 2008
I was interested in learning how to remember phone numbers, shopping lists and putting names to faces - things I've always had trouble with. After a few hours of studying the techniques in this book those exercises are now child's play! I can't believe these techniques are not more widely known, because anybody can use them to remember just about any kind of information. I amazed myself by remembering a list of 80 random words after just a few minutes of study. The real test was the next morning...had the memory been embedded or would I have forgotten everything? but I can still remember the whole list accurately, without difficulty, and do it backwards too! I'm working on the Dominic System now and what's more, am enjoying it too. A great investment!

Pen Pictures: 2: Student's Book: Writing Skills for Young Learners: Student's Book Level 2
by Mark Hancock

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and user friendly., 25 July 2008
This series is very good for getting kids writing. They find the warm-up exercises interesting and they are well graded to lead towards the actual writing. There is also a good exercise on checking your own writing and correcting for the pupils to do which they love. Colourful and fun. Good value.

Solace
Solace
by Nicci Gerrard

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 25 July 2008
This review is from: Solace (Paperback)
I spent a pleasant rainy weekend reading this and enjoyed it. I like Gerrard's writing, it's intelligent without being too cerebral!

The Athenian Murders
The Athenian Murders
by Jose Carlos Somoza

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing!, 25 July 2008
This review is from: The Athenian Murders (Paperback)
I had been looking forward to reading this. I'm interested in Ancient Greece and love mysteries too, so thought I'd be in for a treat. Unfortunately, I found it hard going and ...yes... boring.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2011 1:37 PM BST