Profile for Paul Thompson > Reviews

Content by Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson "Pól MacGilla tSamhais" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
THE TUNNEL: A Ben Hope Story
THE TUNNEL: A Ben Hope Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 22 Dec. 2015
I do not usually go for short stories but thoroughly enjoyed this one. It seemed to say a lot in relatively few words and I felt as though I was reading a much longer novel

Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, 1 Cup
Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, 1 Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product for a great drink, 12 Sept. 2015
I love this espresso maker - it makes one cup which is perfect. I have a cafetiere for when I want a longer drink and have a a 3 cup Bialetti for those times when I am making for a couple of people. Most of time however I prefer and espresso and usually it is only me who wants one - this maker is therefore great.

Before I bought it I was wondering if it would be too small for even the smallest gas ring but I need not have worried as it was fine. I have found that I can have the gas turned up almost full and the flame still does not come beyond the end of the pot.

2016 Moleskine Professional Taskmaster Weekly Extra Large Diary 12 Month
2016 Moleskine Professional Taskmaster Weekly Extra Large Diary 12 Month
Offered by Wordery

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite for work, 12 Sept. 2015
I have used this diary at work for several years and much prefer it to the one offered in the office (which is a plain page per day). I love the double page spread for notes, tasks, plans etc combined with a full week over a separate double page spread. It simply reflects the way I work and think - I like to have the daily appointments separate from the ideas and tasks section as this helps keep things clearer and distinct in my mind. As long as I am working this is the one I shall use.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

5.0 out of 5 stars ... a book club at work several years ago and enjoyed it so much that I wanted to read it ..., 12 Sept. 2015
I first read this as part of a book club at work several years ago and enjoyed it so much that I wanted to read it again and downloaded it to Kindle.

It is simply a wonderful book that offers an alternative view of English history that feel almost believable. The characters grow in the course of the story and I felt I got to know them well. They felt human and even their failures added to this.

Yes, I did watch the TV version which was enjoyable but for me the book will always be best.

2016 Moleskine Tide Green Large Weekly Notebook 18 Months Hard
2016 Moleskine Tide Green Large Weekly Notebook 18 Months Hard

5.0 out of 5 stars Another year with this great notebook, 12 Sept. 2015
I have been buying this weekly notebook for several years now and I do not think this will change in the coming years. The combination of the daily diary space with a whole page for notes or tasks it simply great. Not having to have the daily space cluttered up with notes helps make the notebook clearer to read. There are also not many tasks that I regard as "day specific" and so the general page is a good thing in this regard too. For tasks that are specific to one day it also helps to keep things clear that within each day there is a small but visible subdivision that allows the user to be creative - I use this to make diary entries on the left of the daily space and any tasks on the right. Another point for this specific 2015-16 notebook is that I feel the print is a bit clearer that last year.

Persuader (Jack Reacher, Book 7)
Persuader (Jack Reacher, Book 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, 14 Jun. 2015
A great read and one to simply immerse myself in - pure escapism and all the better for it. I love it that Jack also escapes from the ordinary world and still survives and even thrives and I feel that perhaps I am escaping twice - into the book and vicariously via Jack himself.

The Martyr's Curse (Ben Hope, Book 11)
The Martyr's Curse (Ben Hope, Book 11)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable read, 14 Jun. 2015
I simply cannot pass by a Ben Hope book and pre-ordered this one as soon as I could. When it finally downloaded to my Kindle I started reading it at once and was not disappointed.

I like the way the author has developed the central character of Ben over the course of the series - he can be very violent when that is needed but can also think and feel. He also can never quite escape who he is and past choices have given him a path that he is unable to veer too far away from and it is this path that gives me the books that I as a reader look forward to.

For me this book offers a series of elements that I like - the European Alps, a fast paced plot with a solid element of well motivated violence by the central character, a level of action that retains something of the believable and a threat or threats to the current order of things.

The Nemesis Origin (Warner & Lopez Book 1)
The Nemesis Origin (Warner & Lopez Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable action thriller (read via Kindleunlimited), 23 May 2015
Here is a plot that moved swiftly to a series to exotic locations with a constant sense of threat and expectation.

I found that there was at time a little bit too much explanation being given by some of the characters regarding some of the background issues but this did not take away from an enjoyable action packed story.

There is enough (pseudo?) archaeological foundation to give the story a good flavour - I liked this aspect. Who are we as a species? Where did we come from?

The Vassal World (The First Exoplanet Book 2)
The Vassal World (The First Exoplanet Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sequel (read via Kindleunlimited), 10 May 2015
I enjoyed the first book and when I saw there was a sequel I had to read it. The plot was not all that profound but it was an enjoyable and satisfying read. I liked the way the author approached the ending - issues were resolved but the seeds of future conflict or tension were sown because that is the way life is. I say "life" and not just humanity because the author seems to offer a view that if there are other intelligent life forms elsewhere in the universe then they will probably be just as prone to greed, conflict and exclusive thinking as humanity.

Farewell Leicester Square (A superb WW2 thriller)
Farewell Leicester Square (A superb WW2 thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars WW2 Thriller that offers twist at the end (via Kindleunlimited), 8 May 2015
A good read that is set in the days of WW2.

There is plot that is like something set at the centre of a spider's web and the first part of the book traces each of the elements of the web leading to that centre. They can be seen as quite separate and with no connections but as the story develops the reader begins to discover that they are indeed all linked.

What seems to be be the climax of the plot - the thwarting of the Nazi scheme - is fine but the real climax comes a bit later where the reader would expect a gentle clearing up after the action. This is not a long section by any means but it changes everything and offers a nasty little twist that is was satisfying to me as a reader.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20