Profile for Paul Thompson > Reviews

Content by Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson "Pól MacGilla tSamhais" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Nemesis Origin (Warner & Lopez Book 1)
The Nemesis Origin (Warner & Lopez Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable action thriller (read via Kindleunlimited), 23 May 2015
Here is a plot that moved swiftly to a series to exotic locations with a constant sense of threat and expectation.

I found that there was at time a little bit too much explanation being given by some of the characters regarding some of the background issues but this did not take away from an enjoyable action packed story.

There is enough (pseudo?) archaeological foundation to give the story a good flavour - I liked this aspect. Who are we as a species? Where did we come from?

The Vassal World (The First Exoplanet Book 2)
The Vassal World (The First Exoplanet Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sequel (read via Kindleunlimited), 10 May 2015
I enjoyed the first book and when I saw there was a sequel I had to read it. The plot was not all that profound but it was an enjoyable and satisfying read. I liked the way the author approached the ending - issues were resolved but the seeds of future conflict or tension were sown because that is the way life is. I say "life" and not just humanity because the author seems to offer a view that if there are other intelligent life forms elsewhere in the universe then they will probably be just as prone to greed, conflict and exclusive thinking as humanity.

Farewell Leicester Square (A superb WW2 thriller)
Farewell Leicester Square (A superb WW2 thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars WW2 Thriller that offers twist at the end (via Kindleunlimited), 8 May 2015
A good read that is set in the days of WW2.

There is plot that is like something set at the centre of a spider's web and the first part of the book traces each of the elements of the web leading to that centre. They can be seen as quite separate and with no connections but as the story develops the reader begins to discover that they are indeed all linked.

What seems to be be the climax of the plot - the thwarting of the Nazi scheme - is fine but the real climax comes a bit later where the reader would expect a gentle clearing up after the action. This is not a long section by any means but it changes everything and offers a nasty little twist that is was satisfying to me as a reader.

The Genesis Project
The Genesis Project

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy ending? No, but a Good Read (via Kindleunlimited), 8 May 2015
I enjoyed reading this book - the main characters were in reality the minor characters participating in or caught up in the larger conspiracy. Of the people involved in that conspiracy there is little detail beyond a sketchy picture but that did not matter as this was not the point of the book. It was compelling to read about the struggles of those who found themselves caught up in something that would destroy them.

There is escalation upon escalation and even when all is thought to be resolved at the end, there is indeed no end but just another horror that will draw in even more

Did anyone really come out of it all well? I do not think so except the reader who has a good book to read.

Holy Island: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 1)
Holy Island: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ending(s) - read via Kindleunlimited, 2 May 2015
I have never been to Holy Island but the sense that is conjured up for me in this book matches a lot of the description given to me by a friend who is very close to the Island.

The story was a very enjoyable whodunit with a closed cast of characters offered up by the reality of an island isolated from the mainland. This part of the book was fun to read.

What really made the book stand out for me though was the ending - although I suppose I should really say the three endings. The first ending did not really feel like the ending (which was clearly sensed by the main character too). The second ending was satisfying but the third ending was wonderful, cruel, satisfying and terrible - all rolled into one. This is the best way I can describe it as I do not want to give away the twists of the plot.

Toujours Provence
Toujours Provence

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read and chuckle, 22 April 2015
This review is from: Toujours Provence (Kindle Edition)
I read this in hard copy many years ago but it got lost somewhere along the way in the course of several house moves. It is great to read it again and for me it offers a sense of pleasure and fun. If I wanted a detailed analysis of French society I would go elsewhere but if I want to have a good read and chuckle just give me this book.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars What is there not to like, 22 April 2015
Great value, good product and quick service.

The Codex file
The Codex file

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting violent and questioning (read via Kindleunlimited), 21 April 2015
This review is from: The Codex file (Kindle Edition)
A plot that is violent and cruel and leaves some questions unanswered - it is also thoroughly enjoyable and drew me into its murky pathways.

It is based around notions of free speech and free access to information as well as what really is in the national interest.

In my opinion it is mainly however a good read.

The Jewish Candidate
The Jewish Candidate

4.0 out of 5 stars Long shadows (read via Kindleunlimited), 21 April 2015
This book is set in the long shadows of WW2 and Communism. It offers a Germany that seems to becoming more at ease with diversity and yet one in which at the same time old and newer tensions are rising up to the surface.

It was an interesting and enjoyable book.

Human Devolution
Human Devolution

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally absorbing, 21 April 2015
This review is from: Human Devolution (Kindle Edition)
I am not sure where I sit on this book as I have come at the themes dealt with here from an evolutionary perspective. I do however like seeing received wisdom being challenged and alternative views being offered. For this reason I thoroughly enjoyed the book and I think it is one that I will return to again and dip into for specific topics and research.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20