Profile for Mrs. S. Caddy > Reviews

Content by Mrs. S. Caddy

Mrs. S. Caddy (Worcestershire UK)

True Stories From A Policeman's Notebook
True Stories From A Policeman's Notebook

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do with a better polish, 1 July 2014
The material was good, but I did not finish this book because I gave up on the poor grammar and spelling. Mr Turk complains about the person who offered to proof read it. It is a pity he had such a bad experience with the first one. If it had been better done, it would have been an excellent read showing the true everyday life of a British copper. I loved the stories and the common sense comments on them.

Dragon's Fire (The Dragon Books Book 18)
Dragon's Fire (The Dragon Books Book 18)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Story of the Miners of Pern, 1 July 2014
With stories about the miners of Pern, the series has found a new life. Perhaps I am being a little harsh with four stars because this is really good. I just miss the dragon riders as the central characters. it is a very good story.

Sky Dragons (The Dragon Books Book 21)
Sky Dragons (The Dragon Books Book 21)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as any of her works, 1 July 2014
I have loved these stories since I read the first one in the Argosy magazine some fifty years ago. This is up to the usual standard

The City and the Ship (Brain and Brawn Ship Series combo volumes Book 1)
The City and the Ship (Brain and Brawn Ship Series combo volumes Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story and believable characters, 1 July 2014
I like this story a lot - as I do almost all of Anne McCaffrey's work, but I would have preferred it to have been a little more terse in the wording. I found myself speed reading it, which is unusual for Anne's other work. Do not let this put anybody off. This book is a very good read.

The Book Of Lists: The Original Compendium of Curious Information
The Book Of Lists: The Original Compendium of Curious Information
by David Wallechinsky

5.0 out of 5 stars much more fascinating than your shopping list., 28 May 2013
You would never have thought there were so many things to make lists of. Not only are the lists there, but associated information.

The Exeter Book Riddles
The Exeter Book Riddles
by Kevin Crossley-Holland

5.0 out of 5 stars Step back in time to when puzzles were high entertainment., 28 May 2013
Fascinating facts. The kind of book you think you can pick up to browse for a few minutes and find yourself still reading an hour later

The Darkest Hour: Stories and Interviews from Death Row (The Darkest Hour: Interviews and Stories from Death Row Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening darkness., 8 Nov. 2012
This is a book all those with a social conscience need to read. How do people become murderers? How do they feel about the Death Sentence? Is this the most effective way for society to treat murderers?
This is a dark book dealing with a dark subject, but reading it opened my eyes to a lot that I needed to know - like an unpleasant medicine, it did me good by helping me to understand. It is fascinating and its message about the effects of murder and of its punishment is important if we are to move forward in our treatment of those who fall outside the social norm.

The Aladdin Trilogy
The Aladdin Trilogy

4.0 out of 5 stars UP TO THE EXPECTED STANDARD, 8 Nov. 2012
Piers Anthony can always be relied upon to provide an enjoyable read. His writing is light and easy to follow. There are no deep emotional problems posed or solved in his work, but for sheer entertainment it is hard to beat. If you want to sit down to enjoy some light entertainment, this is some of the best. He has some original ideas and his characters are easy to empathize with.

Complete Mission Praise: Music edition (Hymn Book)
Complete Mission Praise: Music edition (Hymn Book)
by Peter Horrobin

5.0 out of 5 stars All in one, 3 Oct. 2011
This is a wonderful collection of hymns, new and old. As a newly designated church organist, I was very apprehensive about being able to find and practice at home, the hymns that were wanted. They are here! I suppose there must be some that are missing, but I have not found them yet.
The layout is clear and the print is crisp. The hymns are mostly on either one page or on two facing pages. You only need to turn the page for those that take three pages to print.
It has all the latest tunes, more than the earlier editions, which is wonderful. but the size is beginning to worry me.
Points against it? I need to be picky to find any and I can suggest two, but not the solution to the problems they pose. First, the eternal one of keeping the pages open, especially as the book is so thick that the clips on the music stand barely reach.
Second, also to do with the size. The book is very thick and heavy. It would be nice if it appeared in two volumes, especially if it is going to carry on growing, which I hope it will.