Profile for Jason > Reviews

Content by Jason

Jason (Shrewsbury, UK)

Unforgettable Things to do Before you Die (Unforgettable... Before You Die)
Unforgettable Things to do Before you Die (Unforgettable... Before You Die)
by Clare Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and inspiring book, 5 Mar. 2005
What a wonderful look at our planet, it is full of so many gorgeous pictures from some of the world's most beautiful and wild places that it makes me want to pack my job in right now. I particularly enjoyed the Mongolia chapter, who would have thought you could do such things as Ghengis khan warrior training and live in a ger! The dog sledding in Sweden is lovely too, the husky dogs sound like a lot of fun and the snowy forests and hills look superb. I can see why they enjoyed the hot sauna afterwards though, it must have been chilly out sledding.
I thought before buying it that it was really just a photo book (and it would be well worth getting even if it was...the images are fantastic) but they have managed to capture a real essence of these places in words too. I've been fortunate enough to have done a couple of the trips with my wife, the amphitheatre opera in Verona, though we saw La Traviata not Aida, and a boat trip on the Nile river in Egypt and can vouch for the wonderful memories, feelings, sounds and colours stirred up again by the authors skilfully chosen words. I'm always looking for ways to escape from the daily grind of my work and this book has managed to do that for me without me even having to book any flights! Really great stuff and a wonderful collection of trips.