Profile for AmazonPete > Reviews

Monsoon: The Indian Ocean and the Future of American Power
Monsoon: The Indian Ocean and the Future of American Power
by Robert D. Kaplan

4.0 out of 5 stars Evocative and Provocative, 4 Nov. 2013
This book provides the reader with a rich vision of the Indian Ocean's northern coastal rim. Mr. Kaplan artfully blends history and current politics and makes skilful use of his knowledge of geography to depict the various civilizations competing across the coastal regions of the Indian Ocean. One finishes the book with the feeling of having sumptuously banqueted on knowledge of the region's pasts and present. Although the central premise is cleverly argued and well-supported with geo-economic facts and political insights, this reader at least is left wondering what impression would be left if Mr. Kaplan applied in a similar way his considerable skills and involving writing to, say, the Pacific or Atlantic Oceans. While I don't subscribe to his major premise in this book, he definitely made the case that the Indian Ocean will be of enormous global significance in the coming decades. I fully recommend this book if you want a sense of the epic scale of world changes impinging upon and emanating from the Indian Ocean.

Macartney of Lisanoure, 1737-1806: Essays in Biography (The U.H.F. historical series)
by Peter Roebuck

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating man, 5 Jun. 2013
This man's career was astonishing. If you want to read about what was possible for an ambitious and talented man in the British Empire then Macartney is a great example. As the first British Ambassador to Peking, his report on what he saw is significant. This collection of essays is very informative and interesting.

I Am Number Four: (Lorien Legacies Book 1) (The Lorien Legacies)
I Am Number Four: (Lorien Legacies Book 1) (The Lorien Legacies)
by Pittacus Lore

5.0 out of 5 stars Devoured, 5 Jun. 2013
This book was a gift and was enthusiastically devoured by the recipient and his brother. I haven't read it yet, but they did want to read the next in the series, so it must be good!

Mind Bomb
Mind Bomb
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep Thought, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Mind Bomb (Audio CD)
The The's tortured take on the world blended with sublime musical landscapes wins. People say this was prophetic for its time - this album surely swayed alot of listeners to his worldview through wit and insight. I also think he's tapped into the insecurities of post-imperial Britain neatly. The sneering tone of his sloganeering is amusing, although the terrible terrorism which has occurred over the past 15 years dulls the amusement considerably. Sometimes an artist can make what they think come true, simply by being good artists. Persuasive this album is, and it deserves to be recognised for its influence.

Spy Vs Spy Masters of Mayhem
Spy Vs Spy Masters of Mayhem

5.0 out of 5 stars Zany Fun, 5 Jun. 2013
These cartoons are really entertaining and witty, and with the serious undertone which knowledge of history lends you can justify wasting lots of time chuckling at the black and white rat-like spies going at each other hammer and tong. Animations would surely out-do 'Roadrunner and Coyote' and 'Itchy and Scratchy'.

Spy Vs Spy Missions of Madness
Spy Vs Spy Missions of Madness

5.0 out of 5 stars Zany, Cool., 5 Jun. 2013
Yes, I love this one also. Spy vs Spy is like watching two of James Bond's Qs trying to outsmart each other. It is so bizarre and far-fetched you have to chuckle. The realities of espionage and counter-espionage in the Cold War for instance, lend a serious undertone to the competition, but it's still funny.

Spy Vs Spy Danger! Intrigue! Stupidity!
Spy Vs Spy Danger! Intrigue! Stupidity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Zany Stuff, 5 Jun. 2013
I got this because one cartoon per MAD Magazine was like drip-feeding genius. I will enjoy this and its companion volumes for years to come.

Dark Side of the Moon (30th Anniversary Edition)
Dark Side of the Moon (30th Anniversary Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 5 Jun. 2013
In the eighties I was listening to a CD copy and said that I couldn't understand the hype about this album. The person I was talking to told me that it sounded incredible on vinyl. It took 25 years for a record player and a vinyl copy to drift into my hands, and to say I was excited when I started playing it and could hear the bass drum and the nuances of the guitar, keyboards, and David Gilmour's vocals properly for the first time is an understatement. Unfortunately the record I'd inherited was decrepit and skipped and looped, but the truth of what I'd been told had been made abundantly clear - so I came to Amazon to find a new pressing of the vinyl. This page was confusing, but I eventually recognised that it was selling the 30th Anniversary CD, so I bit the bullet and bought it instead of the vinyl. What arrived in the post was not the 30th but the 40th Anniversary edition, without any live version CD. I couldn't resist playing it, having realised I'd missed out on something special for so long. The clarity of the sounds is astonishing. The only exception is the climaxes of "Us and Them", which sound like every track has been turned up to full volume, the result being a distorted mash (limitations of stereo, perhaps, but I've tried it on a few now with the same result). Is the 30th anniversary edition any different from the 40th, particularly on "Us and Them"? Can anyone tell me?

Selected Chinese Sayings
Selected Chinese Sayings

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Sayings, 5 Jun. 2013
This book, although 50 years old, is full of thought-provoking sayings. I think it gives an insight into the culture of China. It's a pity the script isn't updated and that the transliterations aren't modern. Nevertheless, I still value its insights and the stories T.C.Lai adds to flesh out the occasional saying, and was pleased I could find it on Amazon to replace a lost copy.

I Am Number Four [DVD]
I Am Number Four [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alex Pettyfer
Offered by Bartlett's HiFi

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric Adventure Good for mid-late Teenagers, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: I Am Number Four [DVD] (DVD)
The atmosphere conveys the foreboding of the pursued hero, and the feel of it tracks teenage angst and the sense of being an outsider that every teenager feels at some point. The villains are the type you never want to meet and who you'd fight against if you knew they were on earth, the romance is suitably dreamy, and the sci-fi monsters are savage. There's good tension developed about how the heroes will survive. It's immaculately composed for most of it, and there's a great extra with the interview of Number Six. I first saw this in the cinema and wanted my family to enjoy it, and am glad I did. Light entertainment, good for 14+ I'd say.