Profile for J. Stoeving > Reviews

Lost Tomb of the Knights Templar: Rennes-le-Chateau Secrets and Discoveries
Lost Tomb of the Knights Templar: Rennes-le-Chateau Secrets and Discoveries
by Ben Hammott

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Trustworthy too?, 13 Nov. 2009
I bought this book a year ago, and read it in no time. It was exciting and the finds were just what you were hoping for.
So is it trustworthy, or is the author going along with the spirit of the time, and making some great "finds"? I have to say that the pictures and statements from witnesses are impressive. What puzzles me is that this "Blue-collar-guy" is so smart that he cracks all these codes, some of which are far fetched. Lots of people have tried, and this guy who has no knowledge suddenly solves it all. And on top of that he actually prefers english "cooking" to french!!

The book is too good to pass up. So go buy it. But be restrictive in what you believe!

The Medici Secret
The Medici Secret
by Michael White

3.0 out of 5 stars Short, but good, 8 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Medici Secret (Paperback)
After I've read this book, I'm sitting back thinking that the book was actually quite short. It got straght to the point, and didn't have all kind of descriptions of the characters and so on. I liked that, but most people would find that a bad thing.
The historic part of the story, and therefore the story itself, is good, as it deals with a lot of people that you know, if you're a bit into history. But the plot and the "action" is very shallow, and could've been dragged out a bit longer.
I can't help feeling, that this would've have been an even better read, if it would've taken place entirely in the 15th century.

I wanted to give this 4 stars, as I enjoyed reading it, but it's not worth more than three, I guess.

The Sanctuary
The Sanctuary
by Raymond Khoury

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than "The Last Templar", 19 Nov. 2008
This review is from: The Sanctuary (Paperback)
When I took this book out at the local library, I remembered my disappointment with Khoury's last book, "The Last Templar", which had a very bad politically correct ending. But I took a chance at this book anyway, and it payed off!

The action in the book grabs hold of you. The theme is exiting, and really challenges your beliefs and your mind. and the ending is better than for most of these books.
The negatives is that the plot is to easy to figure out. You don't have to be nuclear physician to figure out who the characters really are and what they really want. That means that you know how the book is going to go, when you've read about 100 pages. But the subject of the hunt keeps you reading.

It's 4 small stars, but I thought 3 was too little.

The Life of O'Reilly: The Amusing Adventures of a Professional Irish Caddie
The Life of O'Reilly: The Amusing Adventures of a Professional Irish Caddie
by John OReilly

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 26 Oct. 2008
This book is great fun, and a nice read for a cold autumn evening, while you're enjoying your cognac.
It's an advantage if you know a lot about The European Tour. But as a golf fan, you probably do!

Secret Treasure of Oak Island: The Amazing True Story of a Centuries-Old Treasure Hunt
by D'Arcy O'Connor

5.0 out of 5 stars A thorough guide to Oak Island, 29 Dec. 2007
I wanted to buy a book about Oak Island and The Money Pit, and I was torn between this and some of the more exciting ones with the templar theories. I decided for this one, and it was a good choice.

The book gives you the facts about Oak Island, and it tells you everything that you basically need to know. After reading this, I can tell that some of the other theories are almost impossible, and therefore I have saved some money on the books I otherwise would have bought.
Im probably going to buy a few more books on the subject, but this was the pecfect book to start with, and it gives me the knowledge that I need to go on from here.

The Last Templar
The Last Templar
by Raymond Khoury

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible ending, 15 Jan. 2007
This review is from: The Last Templar (Paperback)
This book had a lot of promise, and the first half is very addictive, with some good explanations, and a great plot. But then along comes the typical hollywood ending, with some VERY old-fashioned religeous opinions. It seems to me to be written to satisfy some groups, and to sell better with the generel public.

The ending is just not worth reading the rest of the book for. A shame to waste such a good idea!

Labyrinth
Labyrinth
by Kate Mosse

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid book, 30 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Labyrinth (Paperback)
I hadn't heard of this book, and it hadn't been reviewed in the medias(in Denmark anyway), but I took a chance on it.

I was happy I did! The book got off to a slow start, but just got better and better, and the ending was pretty good to. It isn't fast-paced, but in this case, that's a positive thing.

You do however have to be interested in the subject of the book(Holy Grail, Kathars and so on). If you're just looking for a good piece of litterature, then you probably need to go elsewhere.

The Passover Plot
The Passover Plot
by Hugh J. Schonfield

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but out of date!, 7 Feb. 2006
This review is from: The Passover Plot (Paperback)
This book got some great reviews, and I decided to give it a try. It took me almost a month to read it, but now I'm done. Why did it take so long? Because the book is very slow-going and VERY predictable.
I realise that this book was written many years ago, and was speciel at that time, but at this time there are much better books out there. The book really says what every logical thinking man can figure out. If you're extremely religious, then perhaps it could rock your world, but otherwise not.
The book is very much based on speculation, and this could've been a lot better, if the author had used more footnotes(but perhaps this wasn't possible because of the speculation).
This review should be seen as a reader from the new millenniums thougts on this book. It was probably good 40 years ago, but not today. Explore the market. There are better books out there.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2013 11:56 PM GMT

The Hiram Key: Pharoahs,Freemasons and the Discovery of the Secret Scrolls of Christ
by Robert Lomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Where is the Bibliography?, 1 Jan. 2006
I find this book very good! It uses a lot of knowledge, and makes some new conclusions, that probably should have been made years ago.
BUT I am really missing the bibliography. When I read a book, I like to check the sources or just write down some books to read in the future. But without the bibliography, this is almost impossible. My old history teacher would have failed me if I forgot the bibliography.
But all in all the book is exciting, well-written and it gives you an appetite for more information on the subject,

Page: 1 | 2