Profile for JMV > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Younger
Younger

4.0 out of 5 stars Pacy and enjoyable thriller, 16 April 2015
This review is from: Younger (Kindle Edition)
If, when you were 50-odd, you were given the chance to look 20 again without surgery, would you take it? I actually quite enjoyed the way in which the book questions our obsession with youth and appearance, albeit in a fairly superficial way. While you do have to suspend reality a bit for the plot/character's actions to be plausible, it's still a good page-turner. Pacy and thoroughly enjoyable thriller.

Revival
Revival

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a mishmash of genres but enjoyable enough, 5 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Revival (Kindle Edition)
This was a bit of a strange one - it struck me as Stephen King not really knowing whether to go with some of his more grounded writing of late (Mr Mercedes, Dolores Claiborne, etc) or whether to go all out with the horror genre. It ends up being a bit of a mishmash of the two and consequently wasn't one of his top reads for me. I did enjoy it, but not as much as some of the other stuff I've read recently.

Mr Mercedes
Mr Mercedes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read - he's still got it, 5 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Mr Mercedes (Kindle Edition)
What can you say about Stephen King? He knows how to write a page-turner. He consistently engages us with his characters, and his plotting is great. This was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I would recommend it to anyone, particularly those who don't like his horror books as this one, while dealing with subject matter that's unpleasant, isn't from that genre. Loved it. He keeps on improving.

Runelight
Runelight

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed by this one, 5 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Runelight (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished reading this and my overall reaction is a bit muted. I recognise that this is probably aimed at the young adult market, but it was a bit banal and predictable. I didn't find the characters particularly engaging and this made it quite difficult to care how the novel ended. Also, having read the first book in this series, I didn't find it progressed either the characters or the plot. I wanted to like it, but quite honestly, it was all a bit meh - to coin a phrase. Disappointing is the best way to sum it up.

PLAIN WOOD - WOODEN BOX TEA BAG CHEST 9 COMPARTMENT - DECOUPAGE
PLAIN WOOD - WOODEN BOX TEA BAG CHEST 9 COMPARTMENT - DECOUPAGE
Offered by WOODEYLAND

4.0 out of 5 stars Great box for pimping, 15 Dec. 2014
Very happy with service - prompt, item as described. Would recommend.

PLAIN WOOD WOODEN BOX CHEST DECOUPAGE 29 x 25 x 7,5 P29 unfinished wooden box
PLAIN WOOD WOODEN BOX CHEST DECOUPAGE 29 x 25 x 7,5 P29 unfinished wooden box
Offered by Craft Sales Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 15 Dec. 2014
Exactly as described. Very happy with it. Prompt delivery, good service

Clariel (The Old Kingdom Book 4)
Clariel (The Old Kingdom Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing when compared to others in the series, 3 Dec. 2014
While this was a good read, it wasn't quite up to the standard of the previous three books in this series. It felt a bit underdeveloped and bitty and the characters weren't quite as engaging as they could have been. Nix's other books, also had far more sinister villains. As usual, the high spots came largely from Mogget. I have to confess that this was a bit of a disappointment. I will probably read the next installment of the series, which I gather will be focusing on what happens after Abhorsen and I hope that he is going to take it one stage further. It's a pity because this could have been a good book.

The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair

5.0 out of 5 stars Could compete with John Irving at his best. A literary book with a great murder mystery at its heart., 28 Oct. 2014
I haven't read anything quite this good for some time. On one level it's a great murder mystery; on another, it's an examination of relationships, and on a third level, it looks at what it is to be a writer and what is fiction and what is truth. It's an absolutely compelling read. It reminded me of John Irving at his best - and that's pretty darned good.

Clover Mini Iron
Clover Mini Iron

5.0 out of 5 stars Great craft iron. I'd buy it again., 28 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Clover Mini Iron (Kitchen & Home)
Great little craft iron. Does exactly what I wanted it to do. Would recommend.

Lenovo B5400 15.6-inch Notebook (Intel Core i3-4000M 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Professional)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, good performance, good product, 28 Oct. 2014
I bought this as a gift for someone. She tells me it does everything that she wanted it to do and more. It's also very reasonably priced. Without wishing to sound like an ad for a well-known floor varnish, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5