Profile for David Armes > Reviews

Content by David Armes

David Armes

The Mill on the Floss (Wordsworth Classics)
The Mill on the Floss (Wordsworth Classics)
by George Eliot

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning end, 2 Aug. 2007
Don't read the introduction or any preface to this book if you do not know the story, that is, until you have read Eliot's tale!

All but the 'only child' will recognise the sibling rivalry in this book, as relevant today as when it was written. Often I found myself thinking of my 21st Century brothers whilst reading about 19th Century farmers' wives (!!!) Lots of seemingly modern 'self esteem' issues are developed and honed perfectly.

Eliot takes us through the life of the Tulliver family but does not let you get too comfortable with predicting the plot and imagining how the tale will develop. There are some real surprises in this book, not least, in my opinion the ending.

The end to this story is stunning, in so much as you don't have the time or the build up to see it coming.

Forest Mage (The Soldier Son Trilogy, Book 2): 2/3
Forest Mage (The Soldier Son Trilogy, Book 2): 2/3
by Robin Hobb

2.0 out of 5 stars I must be a fan, 31 July 2007
I bought this book on an Amazon special with Shaman's Crossing.

In my opinion, Forest Mage suffers from the same brevity of coverage and lack of depth as Shaman's Crossing. Some of it's characterisations e.g. Carsina and Hitch are bordering on parody of 'Gone with the Wind'.

Two of the three communities from book one are almost entirely ignored and an 'on/off' switch for one of the magics (conveniently) reduces the difficulty with which our protagonist trudges toward his destiny.

I will read book three because I'm an optimist and think this story cannot possibly get any worse. That said, maybe I'll read it because I have a feeling it is required reading for her next trilogy. I am, it would seem, a Robin Hobb fan.

Shaman's Crossing (The Soldier Son Trilogy, Book 1): 1/3
Shaman's Crossing (The Soldier Son Trilogy, Book 1): 1/3
by Robin Hobb

3.0 out of 5 stars Do not start here!, 31 July 2007
Do not start here if this is your first foray into Hobb's books.

Start with 'Assassin's Apprentice', it's far better and unlike this book, might hook you into reading more of her work.

Unfortunately 'Shaman's Crossing' is a missed opportunity, attempting to include too much it fails to deliver on anything (three cultures, three magics and four belief systems if you include 'The Good God')

So much is skimmed over that I feel Hobb appears to be dragging us toward some future objective without letting us enjoy the journey.

Books are not cheap and this one reads as an expensive, hurried introduction into a new setting. Only with an economy style ending does it manage to stand alone as a story.