Profile for Ian Burdon > Reviews

Content by Ian Burdon

Ian Burdon "iansb" (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Ghost In Our House And Other Stories
The Ghost In Our House And Other Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine album, 13 April 2015
After the absolute belter of an album that was "Blink and You'll Miss It" and the slight drop off in quality (in my opinion) of Head Full of Magic, Shoes Full of Rain, I had my fingers crossed for this one.

It doesn't disappoint.

14 songs and not a weak one amongst them, playing to all their strengths. The songwriting is strong, good melodies, great hooks and the lyrics are as down to earth as usual. Once again they choose to re-record a Tansads song (Reason To Be) and the comparison is interesting. The reason so many of us love Tansads still is the unrestrained and joyous rough and tumble of their records. Merry Hell have that shared history but, on record at least, are more precise, with better production values. It is also clear that Merry Hell are not just Tansads in disguise. Although the approach to vocals is the same in both groups Virginia Kettle and Janet Anderton have different song-writing approaches and different voices, with Virginia leaning more towards folkiness. This gives the bands different identities within a common tradition.

This is a fine album which lovers of both Tansads and Merry Hell will enjoy, and well worth a punt if you aren't familiar with either band. If I could I'd probably give this one 4.5* because Blink and You'll Miss It still shades it for me, but that's probably harsh and I'm happy to round this up to a 5*

Genuine XIAOMI 10400mAh 5V 2A Batteria Batterie de secours externe et chargeur avec connecteur Micro-USB pour smartphone, tablettes tactiles, android phone, Apple iPhone 5, iPad mini iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS iPod iPad, iPad 2 HTC: One X, S, V Sensation, Sensation XE XL EVO 4G Radar 4G Inspire 4G Vivid 4G / Wildfire S / ThunderBolt / Incredible 2 S / Rezound / Desire X, C, V, HD, S, Z Samsung: Galaxy S4, S3, S2 Galaxy Note 2 / Galaxy S2 I9100 / Galaxy S I9000 / Galaxy Nexus / Galaxy Note / Focus S / Infuse Motorola Milestone Droid Razr, Bionic / Atrix 2 / Triumph LG: Nexus 4, Optimus 4X, 2X, V, S, T, 3D, 7 Nokia: Lumia 900 710 800 / N8 / N9 Blackberry Torch Curve 9900 9360 9320 / Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S, X10 / PSP / MP3 / MP4 / MP5 , Huawei, ZTE etc

5.0 out of 5 stars A Steal, 20 Jan. 2015
I bought one of these in Hong Kong last week for HK$148 (about GBP12.50). Does exactly what it says and, at the price, is a steal when travelling.

I See You
I See You
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Still out there, 20 Dec. 2014
This review is from: I See You (Audio CD)
I saw this on the racks of a cd shop (remember them?) and was taken aback, not realising that a new cd was out. I bought it instinctively, unheard--because it is Gong. It was almost as a gesture of solidarity with my own youthful ideals and the offbeat sensibility that the original Gong brought to teenage existence in nineteen-seventies Scotland.

And it is fab.

You can draw a straight line between the Gong of the seventies and "I See You". This is Daevid Allen still doing what he does best, with the same mix of wisdom and whimsy, though his recent brushes with mortality have brought a slightly more retrospective element to his words.

Of all the bands that came out of psychedelia and flourished in the underground, Gong is one of the few which sound as good, if not better, in retrospect. The Gong family vitality is still evident (Hillage and Giraudy's wonderful collaboration with Rovo on System Rising last year is another example). "I See You" is the sound of Daevid Allen not going gentle into the good night. Long may he continue.

Merrell Jungle Moc Nubuck, Men's Slip-On Loafer Shoes - Brown (Brown Suede), 10 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 9 Nov. 2014
I'm now onto my second pair and had no hesitation buying them again. I walk everywhere and these have been my casual shoes of choice for a couple of years now. They are comfortable and long lasting and slip easily on and off on flights.

As others have said, the sizing has to be watched - I usually take 9 or 91/2 but wear a 10 in these.

Recommended

Head Full Of Magic, Shoes Full Of Rain
Head Full Of Magic, Shoes Full Of Rain
Offered by musicMagpie

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag, 30 Oct. 2013
Given the rave reviews this album has received elsewhere I'm conscious that I may be in a minority here. I had this on pre-order and have given it time to grow on me before writing a review. Alas, it hasn't really grown on me. I think it is a mixed bag of material. Their first album was a complete delight, every song a gem, and more or less continuing from where the mighty Tansads left off.

I'm less convinced by Head Full of Magic Shoes Full of Rain. They seem to have loosened their grip on the throttle and lost some of their distinctiveness. A song like Emerald Green, for example, sounds like a pale imitation of Richard Thompson's "Waltzing's For Dreamers" and some of the other material sounds weak in this context (decent songs but not necessarily good Merry Hell songs). While every song on Blink... And You'll Miss It was a gem, I find only about 2/3 of the songs on Head Full of Magic approaching that quality. Don't get me wrong, there is some great material on here - I particularly like Roseanna, Let Me In and Let The Music Speak, but I was disappointed when I realised that my favourite track on this is the reworking of the Tansads barnstormer Iron Man from their 1994 classic Flock. Maybe that says more about me than Merry Hell of course.

Be Bop Deluxe At the BBC 1974-1978 [3CD/DVD]
Be Bop Deluxe At the BBC 1974-1978 [3CD/DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventures in a Seventies Soundscape, 1 Oct. 2013
This is a welcome compilation of material covering John Peel Sessions, In Concert performances, Old Grey Whistle Test and Sight and Sound in Concert material. Disk 4 is a DVD of Whistle Test and Sight and Sound.

My only disappointment is that the Amazon blurb says this has 8 discs but there are actually 4.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2013 9:15 AM BST

Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Phoenix Rising (Audio CD)
I have listened to Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy in their various guises since the mid nineteen seventies. This latest is a fabulous amalgam of, cliche alert, the old and the new and may just be the best thing I've heard from them since, well, their last best thing.

I like every track and have had the cd on near permanent repeat since it arrived, but I have to particularly highlight the cover of John McLaughlin's Meeting of the Spirits as being something special.

Vampsov 1938: A Spectre Haunting Europe
Vampsov 1938: A Spectre Haunting Europe

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag, 30 Sept. 2013
This is an oddity. I bought it on a recommendation and on the whole I am pleased to have read it, but with reservations. The set up is good and is a nice twist on the genre albeit that various stories in The Weerde books 1 and 2 explored similar (though not identical) ideas some years ago. Where I have reservations are to do with the writing itself which, I found, clunks. Dialogue doesn't always flow and, though I like short sentences, one can have too much of a good thing. It read like a good book which hadn't been translated properly into English.

Having said that, I believe this is the author's debut novel and it is a good start. I look forward to seeing what this writer does next

Binatone Latitude 100 Twin Walkie Talkie
Binatone Latitude 100 Twin Walkie Talkie

1.0 out of 5 stars Walkie, no Talkie, 20 Sept. 2013
Despatched very quickly but sadly one handset was Dead On Arrival. I returned it just as quickly and didn't bother to replace it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2013 11:30 AM GMT

Vagrant Stanzas (Deluxe Limited Edition)
Vagrant Stanzas (Deluxe Limited Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, 2 Aug. 2013
This is a recording by and of an artist who is at the top of his game. It takes everything I like about Martin Simpson, distils it and and bottles it. His playing is sublime: his technique is never allowed to dominate but is always subordinate to the presentation of the song or the tune. His vocal phrasing is spot on as is his selection of songs. In the two days I have had them (I bought the two cd set)the discs have barely been off the player.

If you already know his work then you will want to buy this; if you don't know him you should take a punt and be prepared to be seduced by this exquisite recording.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4