Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit
Profile for Buster > Reviews

Content by Buster

Buster "Panspermian" (Dorset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Seventh Sanctuary
The Seventh Sanctuary
by Daniel Easterman

3.0 out of 5 stars Time hasn't been kind, 22 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Seventh Sanctuary (Hardcover)
I bought this book in about 1988 not long after first publication and I recall not being able to read it fast enough, I was totally engrossed in it. It has stuck in my mind for years and I decided to buy it again and its only now that I begin to see its faults. The annoying grammar and spelling errors aside what irks the most is the over indulgent story telling that goes off at a tangent and you wonder what the heck the author is thinking...and not in a good way!

It's still a darned good yarn for a first time reader.

Gigabyte Nvidia Gt 730 Graphics Card (2GB, DDR3, 64 Bit, PCI-E)
Gigabyte Nvidia Gt 730 Graphics Card (2GB, DDR3, 64 Bit, PCI-E)

5.0 out of 5 stars A wise and worthy upgrade, 22 Jun. 2015
I have been getting by on a 256Mb NVidia graphics card, which I salvaged from my old Windows 7 computer and when the fan started getting noisy I decided to upgrade my high end HP Core i5 desktop. The 2Gb graphics capability is like having a whole new system, the applications work smoothly, imaging is more vivid and it is quiet! Of course purely for research I decided to play a game that happened to be on the computer (Far Cry 3) and the difference is so great that I think I should have bought this graphics card a long time before I did especially at this price.

Vicious Circle (Hector Cross)
Vicious Circle (Hector Cross)
by Wilbur Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars A vicious circle indeed..., 7 Feb. 2015
I have read Wilbur Smiths novels for more than 40 years, this is my last and I didn't finish it.

I bought the first "Hector Cross" book called "Those in peril" and found it to be poorly written, poorly researched and not even close to the Wilbur Smith of 20 years ago. I stopped reading the novel when I came across a graphic description of a Paedophiliac act, I am a global business traveller and little shocks me but this did.

I was given the second "Hector Cross" book, "Vicious Circle" as a Christmas present and have left it until now to read as the first was so poor. It started off at the same poorly written standard as the first but I read because I didn't have another stand-by book. Halfway through and we get to the 'novel within a novel' stage where an American lawyer has written a "factual based story" for Hector Cross and lo and behold there are descriptions of a number of graphic acts of Paedophilia against two sisters, one historically mentally debilitated by the acts and I stopped reading again.

I hope that no-one else buys this book and that the publisher PAN, is forced by public opinion to remove it from sale. There is no argument for inclusion just the creeping perversion of Wilbur Smith that readers of his books have noticed over the years but hoped it would not come to this. There is no justification in using the term "context" any 'abuse' could have been written in a much better way by an amateur author let alone a man of Smiths age and experience.

Shame on anyone buying this book and even more on those that gave it a good review.

12 Years A Slave
12 Years A Slave

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed...very disappointed!, 21 Jan. 2015
This review is from: 12 Years A Slave (Amazon Video)
As an observation of slavery this film fails on all counts and is almost like a film made for TV in the US. The vanilla way in which it depicts the diabolical treatment of humans just because of the colour of their skin is almost an insult to those who suffered and by no means a modern day tribute to that awful chapter in the worlds history. It didn't grab me by the throat and say "look at what white people did to black people" it didn't fully engage me in the main characters story, once his wife and children were out of camera shot, they were out of mind and nothing kept me reminded of what he had lost throughout the film. It seemed like a summary of a good story with so much missing.

Given the hype surrounding this film and the fantastic cast, I had extremely high hopes for this film but despite the acting being first class, the story was the let down as I don't believe after watching the film that the true story was told.

American Hustle [DVD] [2013]
American Hustle [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by mikes_store

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: American Hustle [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I had heard and read all the promotional stuff about this film and thought the cast list was excellent and despite not liking the genre I took the plunge and watched it. Within 10 minutes I was disappointed.

The script is not very good, the editing and direction seems to be erratic, unless that was what they were going for? Only an American would think that Amy Adams had an English accent and the style of dresses her character wore was just ridiculous. The film at one point seemed like it went on forever and yet the ending was abrupt and a little ridiculous. The characters didn't have anything going for them and we got to know very little about each person so getting to like or dislike someone was difficult. Jennifer Lawrence, despite being a fine actress, was hopelessly miscast in this film and it was more obvious as the film wore on. The storyline(s) which was as confusing as it was confused didn't seem to take a direction until the closing 30 minutes. The Oscar for the best acting should have gone to Christian Bale's characters hair.....so bad, it was good!

Overall this was not a film worth paying money for so wait until Christmas 2015 and it will probably be on free to air TV channels.

The Border - Season 1
The Border - Season 1

1.0 out of 5 stars Series 2 couldn't get any worse!, 8 Sept. 2014
If I were Canadian, I would be deeply offended by this show. It quite bluntly states that Canada can't do anything without prior approval by the US and what they do isn't good enough anyway. The acting isn't as good as it could be, the script leaves everything to be desired and the storylines have all been done before on American series. In a word, I would call 'The Border' unimaginative.

Norton Internet Security 21.0 - 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC) [2014 Edition] [Frustration-Free Packaging]

5.0 out of 5 stars Accept no substitute, 5 Sept. 2014
It's Norton...the best on the market.

Resident Evil: Retribution (DVD) [2012]
Resident Evil: Retribution (DVD) [2012]
Dvd ~ Milla Jovovich
Offered by MusicnMedia

1.0 out of 5 stars Made by amateurs, 5 Sept. 2014
I have watched all of the "Resident Evil" films and enjoyed them but this was terrible. The acting was not up to standard and the special effects and film sets were poor. The script was amateurish and it felt like there was a whole lot of the film that ended up on the cutting room floor such was the bad editing. One day maybe the "Directors Cut" will improve it but I wouldn't buy this film nor would I pay to rent it.

Deadwood Season 1
Deadwood Season 1

2.0 out of 5 stars A failure on multiple levels, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Deadwood Season 1 (Amazon Video)
I missed both series one and two on TV the first time around and after watching them on Prime, I can honestly say I wish I hadn't.

There is little what you would call 'action' in each episode so it is designed to rest on the storyline and script, which is where it fails on both counts. It's written in a way that obviously bears no resemblance to factual history or the verbal interaction of the day with a pseudo Shakespearean attempt, all that's missing is the 'Thee', 'Thou's' and a few expressions such as 'Merrily'. The series is also littered with foul language which would shame a bar full of drunks. It is so unnecessary and detracts from the stories, which are slow to say the least. The acting is okay in parts but the additional pressure of the actors having to speak in such a strange way shows at the worst possible times, a prime example is in series 2 when Calamity Jane makes an appearance...you should make sure you are watching in subtitles such is the stupidity of how she speaks although you'll have no difficulty in understanding every second word she speaks...it begins with 'F'....

The plot and sub-plots could be told in a much better way as they could work but the whole thing is let down by bad script, poor direction and continuity...not to mention authenticity (again).

Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon [Download]
Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon [Download]

3.0 out of 5 stars Amateurish, 22 May 2014
I have played Far Cry 1, 2 and 3, including many of the mods, skins and had varying degrees of entertainment. I can see what the Far Cry people are trying to do but it doesn't work.

The very dark lighting means you can only play in darkened rooms so you have a chance of discerning some backgrounds. The gameplay is stunted and limited (I am trying to avoid saying 'boring'), with progression more happenstance than planning. I recognised many scenario's and some seem to be borrowed from Half Life and previous Far Cry editions....almost like it had been cobbled together by a team of enthusiastic players in someone's back bedroom after school...very amateurish.

I sincerely hope the Far Cry team don't take the 'futuristic' approach in future Far Cry games.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5