Profile for Bookworm168 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Crystal/ Diamante 18th Birthday Tiara/ Headband
Crystal/ Diamante 18th Birthday Tiara/ Headband
Offered by Chelsea Jones Accessories

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable enough to last a big birthday night out, 25 Jun. 2016
Well, it lasted the night of my daughter's birthday bash, that involved several club visits and copious amounts of alcohol until the early hours. So that has to be a good thing. Was nicer looking and less plastic than some I looked at, so I thought it was decent value for money.

XIAOMI MI Band 1S Pulse Bluetooth 4.0 IP67 Waterproof Smart Bracelet Support Heart Rate Monitoring for iOS/Android
Offered by digitalcool

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, despite a few niggles., 25 Jun. 2016
First of all, when this arrived, it wouldn't charge or work properly. Very strange. I plugged the charge lead into the USB socket on our kitchen pull up plug socket units, I normally use those to charge mobile phones, tablet, bluetooth headset etc. However, it buzzed a couple of times then sat with a single light on. Left it over night, still the same next morning. unplugged it, tried to connect/sync. Nothing, just the single white light on solidly. Contacted the seller who said to charge it (which I had), then I was too busy to do anything with it and it sat in the box for about a week. Was about to insist on a refund, when I thought, one more try. Took it out of the box and the light was off. So I tried charging overnight again, and lo and behold, it all worked as it should. No idea what happened, but its been fine ever since. Had it close to a month now and really like it. I suspect it over counts somewhat (Have borrowed a fitbit charge to wear on same arm to compare for now, that counts about 10 to 15% lower), but i don't mind that much since my aim is to up my steps and I only need a comparison for that. I also have an admin job that requires a lot of hand/arm movements and I can get up to twice the MI band count than a simple waistband worn pedometer on work days, but overall, as I say, it's been a motivator to get me trying to beat my best counts.

The official app is of limited use, very basic, but I downloaded the Mi Band notify and fitness app (Android in my case) and it's much better, more detail and a pro version available for small price.

I like that it looks good on the wrist, is cheap but does the job, it vibrates on your wrist when you receive notifications and phone calls on the phone , even when I'm some way from the phone, but within normal home sized setting, waterproof, no need to remove to swim or shower, excellent time between charges (over a week so far) and there is a great third party app available.

I don't like that there are no English instructions. Come on people, how hard is it to get a few languages translated? The official app is very limited. Not so easy to set up, I didn't manage that straight out of the box, but have no idea why. Would very much like stairs climbed, like the Fitbit charge but for the price paid, it's not a major issue.

All in all I'm very pleased with it, its a bit more limited than some of the big brands, but it's very cheap to buy, so that balances out the limitations.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ornamental China money box., 25 Jan. 2015
This China money box was a perfect gift for someone saving for a certain tech brand item. Decent size and nice enough as an ornament in its own right. First one was broken in transit, but very quickly replaced by seller. Excellent customer service, thank you.

Intex Recreation 59632EP Repair Kit
Intex Recreation 59632EP Repair Kit
Offered by Stack 'm High Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly easy to use, 23 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Intex Repair Kit (Sports)
Fairly easy to use, was a little messy, but maybe I used a bit too much of the cement. The kit consists of some non sticky vinyl that can be cut to size, and a tube of glue/cement to stick it over the hole.

The main thing though is that it worked beautifully and we can now use our Intex air bed again. The hole was in an awkward place, quite close to a seam, but the repair has held good for several nights of use now.

Good purchase.

Summer of Love
Summer of Love

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant romance., 28 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Summer of Love (Kindle Edition)
Pleasant romance, within the more or less expected formula, fall in love, fall out, back together again (That's not giving anything away, that's why you're thinking of buying this book surely?). I find Katie Fforde's style a bit too much tell rather than show, but her books are generally a mood lifting and undemanding read and many of us want that from time to time. I know I can pick up her books in the middle of a grey miserable winter day and I'll feel a little bit better when I've finished, and without any drugs, alcohol or chocolate being necessary ;-) . I consider romance books my body friendly way to cheer myself up.

The Happy Puppy Handbook: Your Definitive Guide to Puppy Care and Early Training

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book explaining modern gentle positive and reward based dog training. No correction/punishment required., 28 Sept. 2014
Bought this to supplement our 16 year old copy of Gwen Bailey's The Perfect Puppy. Just acquired a Labrador puppy so thought it was time to update and fine tune our puppy training skills and this is a good guide to modern behaviour and positive reward based training. I like that Pippa Mattinson explains why dogs do certain things and why certain ways of training work.

She also has a very balanced and unjudgemental way of explaining the pros and cons of various contentious topics such as feeding and neutering. That was quite refereshing to read actually: we part raw feed our dogs and I'm tired of evangelical raw feeders who sneer at my apparently sitting on the fence and vets who almost jump down your throat at the idea that you might feed raw bones to your dog. I have my reasons for going half and half and since dogs (like humans) are very versatile in their tolerance of a wide variety of foods, I can't see how this is harmful and I dislike being pushed totally one way or another. Well done Pippa for allowing me to feel comfortable with my way without judgement.

However, I think novices might like a bit more detail on certain commands, for example a step by step guide to shaping the sit, or lie down etc. In this instance we've found these to be very easy with this puppy, but a previous puppy was quite difficult to teach certain things, and to this day at 9 years old still doesn't lie down properly or promptly and he can't walk anywhere without pulling, depsite various harnesses and head collars. He's the only one of our 9 dogs over 35 years that we've had this persistent problem with, so we don't think it's us but we'd always be open to any new ideas, but sadly there were none that we haven't tried in this book.

Having said this Pippa Mattinson runs several excellent websites for Labrador, Gundog and all dog owners that provide plenty of additional free advice on all aspects of dog ownership and training. These are mentioned in the book, so I'm afraid I'm going to encourage you to buy the book before going to her websites. In fact my main reason for paying for this book is because we've benefited from some of that information and I wanted to pay some money back this time.

Vax Steam Mop S7 2-in-1 Upright and Handheld Steam Cleaner
Vax Steam Mop S7 2-in-1 Upright and Handheld Steam Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars It's better to view the oven and cooker cleaning as a ..., 22 Aug. 2014
I can't compare with any other models as this is the only one I've used, but for me it does the job very well. With 2 dogs in the house I can't think why I didn't buy a steam cleaner before now, it's so fast to clean the floors hygienically, and without the need for chemicals.

It's better to view the oven and cooker cleaning as a presoftening of gunk to make removal easier after use, rather than actually cleaning with the steam cleaner, but it did help by making the cleaning part less elbow grease intensive.

I'm looking forward to being able to clean the floors faster and easier in winter when the garden is continuously wet and muddy paws and floors become a daily, or indeed hourly, occurrence.

Samsung SSG-5100GB/XC 3D Glasses (Battery) (New for 2013)
Samsung SSG-5100GB/XC 3D Glasses (Battery) (New for 2013)
Offered by easybuyEUR

4.0 out of 5 stars Not much to say really. They do the job ..., 22 Aug. 2014
Not much to say really. They do the job, with our Samsung 55" curvy TV (2014 model) . Only one small point, the description didn't mention anywhere that this is a pack of Two glasses, not one as in the picture, so I ordered 2 packs and ended up with 4 pairs of glasses. Have kept them though as we now have enough if we have visitors.

Sole Mates - HIGH HEEL PROTECTORS
Sole Mates - HIGH HEEL PROTECTORS

5.0 out of 5 stars Work very well, 26 May 2014
I bought quite a few pairs of these for a wedding in a field in Kenya and was handing them out to female guests who were trying not to sink in the mud. They were very well appreciated. What can I say, they work, well worth the money to remain more stable on soft or uneven ground.

Life After Life
Life After Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive but worth sticking with it to the end., 26 May 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
It is a good story but at times its like wading through treacle. There's a lot of repetition at times, but if you can stick with it to the end, you finally do find out what Ursula has been trying to acheive. I found the writing style a little dry at times and I did sometimes struggle to care about Ursula's fate but ultimately I was glad I stuck it out to the end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7