Profile for Bookworm168 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Ceramic White Apple Money Box Ornament H160mm
Ceramic White Apple Money Box Ornament H160mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ornamental China money box., 25 Jan. 2015
This China money box was a perfect gift for someone saving for a certain tech brand item. Decent size and nice enough as an ornament in its own right. First one was broken in transit, but very quickly replaced by seller. Excellent customer service, thank you.

Intex Recreation 59632EP Repair Kit
Intex Recreation 59632EP Repair Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly easy to use, 23 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Intex Repair Kit (Sports)
Fairly easy to use, was a little messy, but maybe I used a bit too much of the cement. The kit consists of some non sticky vinyl that can be cut to size, and a tube of glue/cement to stick it over the hole.

The main thing though is that it worked beautifully and we can now use our Intex air bed again. The hole was in an awkward place, quite close to a seam, but the repair has held good for several nights of use now.

Good purchase.

Summer of Love
Summer of Love

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant romance., 28 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Summer of Love (Kindle Edition)
Pleasant romance, within the more or less expected formula, fall in love, fall out, back together again (That's not giving anything away, that's why you're thinking of buying this book surely?). I find Katie Fforde's style a bit too much tell rather than show, but her books are generally a mood lifting and undemanding read and many of us want that from time to time. I know I can pick up her books in the middle of a grey miserable winter day and I'll feel a little bit better when I've finished, and without any drugs, alcohol or chocolate being necessary ;-) . I consider romance books my body friendly way to cheer myself up.

The Happy Puppy Handbook: Your Definitive Guide to Puppy Care and Early Training

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book explaining modern gentle positive and reward based dog training. No correction/punishment required., 28 Sept. 2014
Bought this to supplement our 16 year old copy of Gwen Bailey's The Perfect Puppy. Just acquired a Labrador puppy so thought it was time to update and fine tune our puppy training skills and this is a good guide to modern behaviour and positive reward based training. I like that Pippa Mattinson explains why dogs do certain things and why certain ways of training work.

She also has a very balanced and unjudgemental way of explaining the pros and cons of various contentious topics such as feeding and neutering. That was quite refereshing to read actually: we part raw feed our dogs and I'm tired of evangelical raw feeders who sneer at my apparently sitting on the fence and vets who almost jump down your throat at the idea that you might feed raw bones to your dog. I have my reasons for going half and half and since dogs (like humans) are very versatile in their tolerance of a wide variety of foods, I can't see how this is harmful and I dislike being pushed totally one way or another. Well done Pippa for allowing me to feel comfortable with my way without judgement.

However, I think novices might like a bit more detail on certain commands, for example a step by step guide to shaping the sit, or lie down etc. In this instance we've found these to be very easy with this puppy, but a previous puppy was quite difficult to teach certain things, and to this day at 9 years old still doesn't lie down properly or promptly and he can't walk anywhere without pulling, depsite various harnesses and head collars. He's the only one of our 9 dogs over 35 years that we've had this persistent problem with, so we don't think it's us but we'd always be open to any new ideas, but sadly there were none that we haven't tried in this book.

Having said this Pippa Mattinson runs several excellent websites for Labrador, Gundog and all dog owners that provide plenty of additional free advice on all aspects of dog ownership and training. These are mentioned in the book, so I'm afraid I'm going to encourage you to buy the book before going to her websites. In fact my main reason for paying for this book is because we've benefited from some of that information and I wanted to pay some money back this time.

Vax Steam Mop S7 - 2 in 1 Upright and Handheld Steam Cleaner
Vax Steam Mop S7 - 2 in 1 Upright and Handheld Steam Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars It's better to view the oven and cooker cleaning as a ..., 22 Aug. 2014
I can't compare with any other models as this is the only one I've used, but for me it does the job very well. With 2 dogs in the house I can't think why I didn't buy a steam cleaner before now, it's so fast to clean the floors hygienically, and without the need for chemicals.

It's better to view the oven and cooker cleaning as a presoftening of gunk to make removal easier after use, rather than actually cleaning with the steam cleaner, but it did help by making the cleaning part less elbow grease intensive.

I'm looking forward to being able to clean the floors faster and easier in winter when the garden is continuously wet and muddy paws and floors become a daily, or indeed hourly, occurrence.

Samsung SSG-5100GB/XC 3D Glasses (Battery) (New for 2013)
Samsung SSG-5100GB/XC 3D Glasses (Battery) (New for 2013)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not much to say really. They do the job ..., 22 Aug. 2014
Not much to say really. They do the job, with our Samsung 55" curvy TV (2014 model) . Only one small point, the description didn't mention anywhere that this is a pack of Two glasses, not one as in the picture, so I ordered 2 packs and ended up with 4 pairs of glasses. Have kept them though as we now have enough if we have visitors.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Work very well, 26 May 2014
I bought quite a few pairs of these for a wedding in a field in Kenya and was handing them out to female guests who were trying not to sink in the mud. They were very well appreciated. What can I say, they work, well worth the money to remain more stable on soft or uneven ground.

Life After Life
Life After Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive but worth sticking with it to the end., 26 May 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
It is a good story but at times its like wading through treacle. There's a lot of repetition at times, but if you can stick with it to the end, you finally do find out what Ursula has been trying to acheive. I found the writing style a little dry at times and I did sometimes struggle to care about Ursula's fate but ultimately I was glad I stuck it out to the end.

How to Fall in Love
How to Fall in Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Cecelia Ahern., 26 May 2014
Pretty unusual and shocking start for a romantic novel, but what follows is a really lovely tale about people finding a role and a way through life. Ultimately very uplifting.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person
The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

5.0 out of 5 stars Really well worth trying if you struggle to stick to slimming diets, 26 May 2014
This isn't an normal slimming diet book in that it tells you what to eat and when. However it does have lots of advice on how to stick to your chosen eating plan and therefore get results. It's so simple really, eat less calories than you use each day and you lose weight. Every single slimming plan works, but only if you stick to it correctly. The reason so many of us think diet plan A, B or C doesn't work is that we couldn't stick to it properly. Yes, that means me and most likely you also. Tough to accept (and we do secretly know, don't we?) but unfortunately very true. Even if you don't follow every single step recommended in this book, I think it'll help many more people to stick to a slimming diet of their choice. I think I have probably read most of the tips/techniques in this book in women's magazines, but somehow having then all together in one place, in a daily step at a time format over 6 weeks was just the boost I needed.

It's simple things like never eat standing up, take your time, and practical ways to counter that voice in your head telling you you'll fail at it again (I found these the most helpful of all). I think I even like myself better now, I'm not so down on myself for the little slip ups, and now they stay just that, little slip ups, not oh well I've blown it today, might as well eat what I like for the rest of the day and try again tomorrow, which of course means I started next day expecting to fail yet again. I learnt to forgive myself the little slip ups, not write myself off as a failure, and therefore keep more on track. I've also found that changing my focus from being upset with myself for the small failures to congratulating myself for the small victories like remembering to sit down properly at the table with TV off when I eat has really helped and I feel much more positive about being able to keep this up for life. If I continue to do most of the steps in this book for life, the healthy eating within the correct limits for my body will follow.

There's no magic wand, you really do need to do the exercises each day and put in the work and effort, but I have found they really do help me to stay focused and my weight is slowly moving in the right direction now.

Thank you Judith Beck. It's not rocket science, but you've put it together in a format that I have found very helpful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7