Profile for H. Oppong-Adarkwa > Reviews

Content by H. Oppong-Adarkwa

H. Oppong-Adarkwa (Kent, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Castles from the Air: An Aerial View of Britain's Finest Castles
Castles from the Air: An Aerial View of Britain's Finest Castles
by Paul Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 19 Aug. 2012
I got given this book as a gift, and I love it.
So many people that come to my house pick it up, to flick through, and end up studying it with great detail.

The photographs are beautiful and printed on lovely glossy paper. The book includes lots of castles from around the world, that I didn't even know were there. We recently had the book out to look at for my niece, as she is fascinated by historical buildings.

Even if you were just going to put this book on your coffee table to swoon over, it is really worth buying, although I do wish it had a photograph of Leeds castle in it.........

Esschert Design Wood Bee House - Natural
Esschert Design Wood Bee House - Natural

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift..., 19 Aug. 2012
I bought this bee house as a gift for my bestfriends fussy husband!

He was very happy with it indeed. He has attached it quite low down to the wall at the front of their house, knee height, and next to a bush with purple and yellow flowers on it to encourage them to nest.

I bought it for him Christmas 2011, and he has still not got any bees in it, he does however have a few happy spider residents!

This would be great in a well established, flower filled garden.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2012 12:20 PM GMT

James The Bookend
James The Bookend

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them, 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: James The Bookend (Kitchen & Home)
I love my two James'. They hold up my many cooking books in my kitchen and people comment on them all the time.

They are rubbery to touch, not solid how you would think, and this does give them a good grip on the gloss surface they are standing on in my house. The legs do move about a bit, so make sure they are fully on the side/shelf you are putting them on or them may tip over.

The only thing I would change/improve about them is the metal stand you put under the books to hold them, this would be better just a bit bigger. The product does do the job however without any major issues.

Figure Drawing for Fashion Design (Fashion & Textiles) (Pepin Press Design Books)
by E Drudi

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought four for my a level students!, 19 Aug. 2012
When completing my degree in fashion (many, many moons ago!) I found it quite hard to get my own drawing style at first, a book like this as a starting point would have been great.

So when my four a level students left me this year, all of them to go to university to study fashion, I bought one of these for each of them. They all cried with happiness!

I don't think I have ever seen four eighteen/nineteen year old girls cry over getting a book for a gift, but these literally made their days! They are already using them and they love them dearly. Which made me think I made the right choice out of all the croquis books out there.

The book not only has men and women croquis, but also close ups of hands, feet, eyes and faces etc. very very helpful.

If my next set of a level students decide to follow the last ones, I would buy this book again.

Mango Master, splits, cores and de-stones your mango by Eddingtons
Mango Master, splits, cores and de-stones your mango by Eddingtons

4.0 out of 5 stars So good I had to get my sister one (she tried to keep mine!), 19 Aug. 2012
I didn't actually buy my mango splitter from amazon, but I got my sister one from here for Christmas, she loved mine so much she tried to keep it! Cheeky.

This does do the job surprisingly well, and I'm not really one for gadgets in the kitchen. I wanted something that would aid my nieces and nephews when they help me cook without them hurting themselves.

The blade edge can be quite sharp, so mind you put it away the right way up. I also have been putting mine in the dishwasher and it's still fine and dandy.

The only thing I feel anyone buying this should be aware of is that it will not work on your mango if it is too soft. It just pushes it in rather than cutting it, I have often had to 'rock' the splitter from front to back to get it to pierce the skin of the mango to start it cutting.

But I love it, I would recommend it to anyone who asks and if you are thinking about getting one do, you will never look back!

Never Look Away
Never Look Away
by Linwood Barclay

4.0 out of 5 stars An ok read, 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Never Look Away (Paperback)
Afterr reading Linwood Barclay's frost book, I was hoping for wonderful things from this book. He set the bar high.
It is an ok read, and his writing style is good and comfortable. You don't really have to flick back and forward taking you have missed something, however it is a bit of a 'déjà vu' book.

If you ware wanting to read one of his books I wouldn't start with this one, you don't have to read his in any order they all have completely different characters in them, I would start with with 'no time for goodbye' or 'the accident', they are both better reads over all.

The Accident
The Accident
by Linwood Barclay

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first!, 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Accident (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed Linwood Barclay's first book, and felt the three that followed, although perfectly readable lacked the same 'suspence' as no time for goodbye. So when I picked this book up I was hoping with all hope that this one would be a good read.

I was not disappointed at all.

This book was by far on a par with the first, the ending surprised me (twice!) and, as I read it on a holiday with friends, I now have a queue of people wanting to borrow my copy (it's looking very well used already!).

If you are looking at all of Barclay's books and wondering which to buy, choose either this one or no time for goodbye. They are both really good reads and I finished both books in a day, I couldn't put them down.

Thanks Barclay for a good read, I'm looking forward to the next one!

Flip Video Ultra High Definition Camcorder With 8GB Memory - Black
Flip Video Ultra High Definition Camcorder With 8GB Memory - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars overall a good camera, only a couple of things i wish they would change..., 2 July 2011
I use my flip camera for work (teacher) and was very excited initially to be able to use it for my work. I have had the camera for 7/8 months now, and felt I would write a review after having used it enough to be informed fully about it.

Overall the camera is great, the quality of picture is good and the sound is excellent. I recently took it to a concert at Wembley, and even though I was up ridiculously high the sound was perfect.

It does, however, have a couple of down sides to it - like I guess anything would do.

The first thing, which I feel it its biggest downfall is the zoom, or lack of it. It is very poor and has trouble focusing when you fully zoom in. If you plan to film anything in detail you do have to be close to it, or be prepared to miss out on anything due to its inability to get in close. Such a shame.

Secondly, which again I felt was a minor thing that Flip could probably sort out, is the fact you cannot turn the camera to film anything. If you film with the camera held on its side (so the screen is portrait rather than landscape) you cannot rotate your video. It is not possible to do this using the Flip software at all! I am a Mac user however, and sometimes you can use a different program, but not always to rotate the film. This can be a nightmare (I often ask a student to do it!)

The camera holds 2 hours worth of filming, and when I plugged it into my Mac it loaded the software automatically onto it for me. I feel this is quite enough for a camera of this size, its the right amount for me anyway. You then just plug it into your computer and upload the film.

You can also export the films to your desktop/hard drive and open them in Quicktime if that's easier.

Another feature which is also quite handy is the 'stills' option. you can capture photos from the video footage you take using the Flip software, which I think is a great option.

The camera is a good size, fits into my back pocket of my jeans fine, it is quite heavy however and can make your wrist hurt if you are holding up for a long time!

Overall it's a good camera, I would have bought one for personal use to be honest, but the zoom/rotate feature has put me off for the moment. If they bring out an updated version with these features rectified then i'll be first in the queue for one!!

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars not a toy!, 31 Oct. 2010
very handy to keep loose threads etc on, amazon did ask me to rate this 'toy' however. which it obviously is not!

Apple Bough (Lions)
Apple Bough (Lions)
by Noel Streatfeild

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely old fashioned book, 31 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Apple Bough (Lions) (Paperback)
I used to read the noel streatfeild books when i was younger, but never came across this title. I ordered it after it was recommended to me on amazon, and i am so pleased i did!
What a lovely old fashioned 'walk down memory lane' book that i thoroughly enjoyed. thank you amazon!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4