Profile for S.L Ireland > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
I Let You Go
I Let You Go

5.0 out of 5 stars If Carlsberg Did Thrillers............, 28 Jun. 2015
This review is from: I Let You Go (Kindle Edition)
5 year old Jacob Jordan is killed in a horrific hit and run accident. His mother let go of his hand so that he could cross the road, and the car came out of nowhere - she blames herself and is heartbroken with guilt. Feeling like she can't continue, she flees.

Jenna escapes to a very remote cottage in Wales, where she starts over with her life. She makes a few friends, but still can't forgive herself for Jacob's death. As time moves on, she slowly begins to make a new life for herself - until her past comes crashing down around her.

Meanwhile, DI Ray Stevens and his team are working on the hit and run case. Ray has his own issues - his family need him, his wife is annoyed with how he prioritises work, and his son is going through something at school. His colleagues provide a welcome distraction, but something has to give, and it's a difficult decision for Ray.

This book is TERRIFYING. It completely changes pace in the middle, and it knocked me for six - there's a character in here that can only be described as pure evil. It made for incredibly uncomfortable reading at times, and it was very upsetting. The author has a background in Police work, and that shows - the police parts were fantastic and so believable. Even though DI Stevens makes some mistakes, he is a great character who just wants to please everyone.

Brilliant, if disturbing, thriller. I can't believe this is a debut! Fantastically well written - very clever and not the same-old formulaic thriller. On at least two occasions I sat with my mouth open - I didn't think a book could shock me any more.

The best thriller I've read so far in 2015.

200 Skeins Stranded Deal CXC 100% Cotton Embroidery Thread Cross Floss Sewing
200 Skeins Stranded Deal CXC 100% Cotton Embroidery Thread Cross Floss Sewing
Offered by Hotsellnow4

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Excellent Value, 26 Jun. 2015
Great quality and a lovely assortment of colours. Not branded and only one white and black.

Date With A Rockstar
Date With A Rockstar

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, Funny, Cute., 26 Jun. 2015
Set in America in the distant future, the world is now overpopulated and polluted. Families can only have one child. Disease, while curable, is now rampant - especially in poorer areas, where people can't afford to pay the thousands of dollars needed to buy the cures. Monet O'Neal is a 17 year old girl dealing with one such disease - she has Fluxem, a highly contagious disease that eventually leads to serious illness and death if not treated.

Monet and her mother are poor - her mother works several jobs to try and save the money for the cure, but Monet has found another way - there's a competition to meet and date rockstar Jeremy Bane. The prize money is 30,000 dollars - enough for the Fluxem cure - but Monet must get through the auditions and on to the Reality TV show where voters will determine if she's the one for Jeremy. She will only get the prize money if she is picked - but how can she compete with nine other girls who are throwing themselves at Jeremy? As secrets and lies are revealed about the other contestants, what will the production team dig up about Monet?

This was such a cute book - I loved it. The writing was witty, clever, and the lead characters were brilliant. I loved Derek! The Reality TV show setting was fantastic. Some parts were completely over-the-top (it reminded me of the movie Drop Dead Gorgeous in parts) but I thoroughly enjoyed the story. It could have been so cheesy and predictable, but it wasn't. It was funny and warm, there was just enough Dystopia without it being the focus of the story, and the romance was believable. I really enjoyed this (way more than I should have at my age), I'd love to read more from this author.

Thanks so much to the publisher for providing me with an ARC via NetGalley.

I Will Marry George Clooney (By Christmas)
I Will Marry George Clooney (By Christmas)

3.0 out of 5 stars Way to go, Tracy. Way to go!, 1 Jan. 2015
36 year old Michelle is Mum to 15 year old Josie. In order to stop Josie from throwing her life away by not going to University and sleeping with her horrible boyfriend Sean, Michelle makes a deal with Josie - if Michelle asks George Clooney to marry her, Josie will not sleep with Sean on her 16th birthday and she will go to University. Josie agrees, and so begins Michelle's quest to find George.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? When I was a few chapters in I thought it was just silly, Michelle had told everyone she was going to marry George. Josie was a complete and utter cow, and Michelle's supposed best friend Gina was second only to her mother in how horrible she was. Both repeatedly told Michelle, someone they should have cared about, how she wasn't George's type because she was too fat/ugly/frumpy (delete where applicable).

However. With the reappearance of Rob, ex-boyfriend of Michelle's deceased sister Jane, things picked up a bit. While I still didn't like Gina, I liked Michelle's other friend Daz a lot, and Rob was likeable. Rather than look at it as "I will marry George Clooney", it started to be "I will show my daughter that when you follow your dreams, anything is possible". The "Chickens for Charity" event was funny, and I loved how they went to the hotel afterwards. I thought the Italy thing was silly, in particular when the other person showed up - who DOES that?!

Altogether it wasn't a taxing read, it was funnier and more heartwarming than I thought it would be. The ending was sweet, I was hoping that would feature somewhere in the story.

Copy provided by Netgalley, thank you to the publisher.

The Boy in the Cemetery
The Boy in the Cemetery

4.0 out of 5 stars The Boy Who Lived..........Sorta, 30 Dec. 2014
The story of a girl who lived but was not alive....and a boy who was dead but could not die. Boy has witnessed both his parents die - his beloved mother from the consumption, and his not-so-treasured father after an incident in the Cemetery. Finding himself alone in the world, Boy seeks solace in the Cemetery but gets more than he bargained for, ending up unable to live but unable to die.

Carrie Anne has endured horrific abuse at the hands of those who supposedly love her. When her family move to a new town for a new start, Carrie Anne feels like an outcast, burdened with keeping family secrets and bullied for trying to involve herself at school. She is instantly drawn to the Cemetery where she meets Boy - a meeting that will change the course of events forever.

This is on the more mature end of the YA scale, because of some of the subject matter - particularly some of the things that happen Carrie Anne. There's no profanity as such, but there is quite a graphic description of self harm and strong allusions to sexual abuse by a family member. This was uncomfortable to read and I found myself wishing Carrie Anne's story was different, and that's why I've docked this one star. Her mother infuriated me, and it made me so sad to think that this does happen in reality. I could have done without the school bullies - Carrie Anne's story was scary enough without that being added. They were terrifying and completely unhinged.

This is my second Sebastian Gregory story, and I definitely think he has found his own voice in this genre. It's Gaiman-esque, but in some ways it's even more sinister because the biggest horrors are human ones.In the way that Gaiman brings the reality into the fairytale, Gregory brings the fairytale into the reality. I would have liked the book to be a little longer, but I did enjoy it insofar as one could given the subject matter.

I liked the ending a lot, though it was a bit rushed. I liked Boy the best of all the characters. I thought the Detective had great potential and would have liked more of her.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a review copy.

Getting Over the X
Getting Over the X

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read, 18 Dec. 2014
In 2004, Steve Brookstein won the first series of the Xfactor. He had a number one single, successful debut album, then seemed to disappear amidst a plethora of "he's difficult to work with" articles. In this book, Steve doesn't mince words, but he doesn't put a spin on the events before and after the Xfactor.

It's very clear that he was branded with the "Pub Singer" image from the get-go - in fact, he had turned down a job supporting Lionel Richie to appear on the Xfactor and had just finished supporting Dionne Warwick. From his first audition when Sharon Osbourne yelled "stay out of the pub, p*sshead" to the live final in which she tore strips off him on live TV, Steve bit his tongue and remained cool for the duration of the pantomime.

This is such a good read - I finished it in two days despite having a list of stuff to do - I couldn't put it down. It's an honest, well written account of what really happened behind the scenes, and the awful way that Steve was treated because he didn't always tow the party line or walk around with his head up Simon Cowell's bum. If in any doubt of Steve's claims - take a look at the careers of Matt Cardle, Shayne Ward, Leon Jackson, and Joe McElderry. All were winners, all were dropped relatively soon after winning this supposed "dream prize".

Read it, it's excellent.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2015 12:41 PM GMT

A Christmas Horror Story
A Christmas Horror Story

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Twas the Fright Before Christmas...., 17 Dec. 2014
The story opens in Bern in 1514, where little Greta is waiting excitedly for Santa Claus. Unfortunately for Greta, it's not Santa who is on his way - it's a terrifying Child-Eating creature who will not rest until he has filled his sack.

Fast forward to 2014, where three children are at home waiting for their mother to return from work. 16 year old Katie is responsible for her younger brother and sister - but what will she do when all three begin to have similar dreams about a dark, horrific shadow who snatches children.....and what will she do when he arrives......

For a long time I've thought that todays children are robbed of decent horror stories. I'm not talking about gory, blood-filled zombie/vampire stuff. I'm talking about the good old-fashioned Point Horror stories where they build up, burst with tension and reach an exciting climax. This brought me right back to those books - it's written in a way that it almost could happen, with the exception of the villain himself there's nothing ridiculously over-the-top here. I will definitely be introducing my pre-teen to the world of Sebastian Gregory in a year or two, this is exactly the sort of book that 13 year old me would have curled up with on Christmas Day.

Thanks to Carina UK and Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for review.

Station Eleven
Station Eleven

4.0 out of 5 stars Post-apocalyptic Shakespeare, anyone?, 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Station Eleven (Kindle Edition)
"Good Night", NBC said an hour later, "and good luck."

During a stage performance of King Lear, lead actor Arthur Leander drops dead on stage. What follows is the tale of a Georgia Flu pandemic that wipes out 90% of the population.

15 years later, Kristen, who was an 8 year old child actor with the production when the flu hit, is now a member of a Travelling Symphony. They travel in beat-up caravans between various small towns to perform Shakespeare for those who have survived the flu.

The story links Arthur, the man who tried to save his life, the little girl who acted with him, Arthur's first ex-wife, a mysterious "prophet", and Arthur's oldest friend. It's a post-apocalyptic novel that goes back & forth over their lives.

I really, really enjoyed this a lot. While I am a fan of Shakespeare, I would never have picked up a novel about a Travelling Symphony were this not a book club choice. It's really worth reading, one of the best and most unique books of the year.

It was wrapped up well, and I found the ending hopeful.

A solid 4/5.

Thanks to Pan Macmillan & Netgalley for providing me with a digital copy.

The Killing of Karen Silkwood: The Story Behind the Kerr-McGee Plutonium Case
The Killing of Karen Silkwood: The Story Behind the Kerr-McGee Plutonium Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and still very relevant today., 8 Sept. 2014
The story of Karen Gay Silkwood is still one of the most intriguing and shocking. A fan of the movie 'Silkwood' starring Meryl Streep and Cher, I was eager to read this real-life account of Karen and the Kerr-McGee Plutonium Case that ultimately cost Karen her life.

The author draws parallels with the recent whistleblowing from Edward Snowden - showing that Karen's story is still every bit as relevant today.

Karen worked at the Cimarron plutonium Plant in Oklahoma owned by Kerr-McGee. This book is the product of a mind-blowing amount of research into Karen and the plant. Suspicious of deliberate contamination, breached safety procedures, lax quality control and broken machines (among other things), Karen began to keep notes of every little thing she saw going wrong. Workers at the plant were unaware of the dangers, and unaware of the carcinogenic properties of plutonium. She collected documents and testimonials from workers and with the help of a select few trusted people, she was ready to take it to the New York Times. On her way to the meeting, her car crossed the road, travelled 240ft along the grass shoulder, flew for 24ft over one wingwall and smashed into the other wall. Karen Silkwood was dead. If it were an accident, as was claimed, where did her documents go? And why was there a large dent on the side of her car, as if she were rammed off the road?

This book starts right at the beginning, and covers the entire Silkwood story from her time at the plant right up to the investigations and court cases after her death. It's incredibly detailed and in-depth. It took me a long time to finish it, because some of the information was hard to absorb. There was so much going on at the plant - leaving aside the Silkwood case, there was also the matter of 40lbs of plutonium that is still, to this present day, unaccounted for. To put that into perspective, plutonium is 20,000 times more deadly than the potassium used in Auschwitz chambers. 40lbs is enough to make 3 atomic bombs.

A hard read, but very worthwhile.

Thanks to Open Road Media & Netgalley for providing me with a digital copy in exchange for honest review.

Everything I Never Told You
Everything I Never Told You

4.0 out of 5 stars A sad, stunning debut., 6 Sept. 2014
"Lydia is dead. But they don't know this yet. 1977, May 3, six thirty in the morning..."

So begins the tale of Lydia Lee, eldest daughter of Marilyn and James Lee. This is a devastating read about the pressures on interracial couples in the 70s, about what happens when a parent gives up a dream for their children, and about what can happen when we so desperately try to prevent history from repeating itself.

James is the son of Chinese immigrant parents. He and Marilyn met with great prejudice when they married, none so great as that of her mother, who had her heart set on Marilyn marrying a Harvard doctor. Marilyn harboured dreams of becoming a doctor - she worked so hard to make that dream come true, then had to put it on hold for her family. In Lydia, moreso than her other children (son Nath and youngest child Hannah), she sees herself. She also sees great potential - the potential to succeed where she couldn't.

When Lydia is found dead, everyone is shocked. She was happy, wasn't she? She had friends, didn't she? She wanted to be a Doctor, didn't she?

Didn't she?

A beautiful book and a stunning debut. Thanks to Little, Brown Book Group UK and Netgalley for providing me with a digital copy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6