Profile for Ms Lixie > Reviews

Content by Ms Lixie

Ms Lixie (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Joe Browns Women's Carefree Tunic White (8/10)
Joe Browns Women's Carefree Tunic White (8/10)

4.0 out of 5 stars The only silicone for Nose Jobs, 13 Mar. 2012
If you need a nose job then look no further than this putty. Can be worn around the house or even at the supermarket while it sets.

Charts for Color Knitting (Dover Knitting, Crochet, Tatting, Lace)
Charts for Color Knitting (Dover Knitting, Crochet, Tatting, Lace)
by Alice Starmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Present for a Knitter, 3 Jan. 2012
No knitter would object to receiving this. It is inspiring, helpful, useful, well laid out, text lite (mainly pictures) but the text there is is well written. There are 3 or 4 basic pattern outlines which explain how to design your own jumper using her techniques. However, the main thing is the fairisle designs which are clear, well organised and extremely varied. Good mix of motifs, bands and all over patterns. Really lovely.

Swish Sologlyde curtain track hooks, x 10
Swish Sologlyde curtain track hooks, x 10
Offered by ABC Decor

5.0 out of 5 stars If only all curtain hooks were these curtain hooks, 6 May 2011
Imagine how much happier our lives would be. I even had a couple left over, because it turned out I only needed 8. Splendid.

10 x Coco&Bo - Malolo Beach Mermaid Cocktail Stirrers - Cocktail Accessories - Hawaiian Luau Beach Party Drink Decorations

2.0 out of 5 stars Not mermaids - just naked women, 6 May 2011
I guess I should have studied the picture in more detail but it says 'mermaids' and so I was expecting some hint of a fishtail rather than a graphic naked woman in profile. Having said that, they still stir the cocktail so aren't all bad.

And Then There Was No One (Evadne Mount Mystery 3)
And Then There Was No One (Evadne Mount Mystery 3)
by Gilbert Adair

4.0 out of 5 stars This really isn't a bad book but nor is it what you expect, 6 May 2011
I picked this up thinking it would be third of the Evadne stories. I had enjoyed the first two as lightweight fluff type reading and was looking forward to another. But very quickly it became apparant that this was not going to be in the same vein as those. Instead it comes across as the author writing biographically but in the voice of the author of the Evadne stories who is not him. I know that sounds confusing but that is this book. It's actually well written but it's really not what it makes you think it is or what you expect it to be.

If I had known when I picked it up that it was going to be like this then I probably wouldn't have read it as I am more a lightweight detective kind of gal. But having realised it was all going twisty I stuck with it and am glad I did.

Rigoletto: Full Score
Rigoletto: Full Score
by Giuseppe Verdi

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the other review, 5 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Rigoletto: Full Score (Paperback)
For some reason Amazon have displayed a review for a completely different book next to this item. I bought it based on that review and it is not at all as it described. Which is not to say it isn't a nice book. It is almost A4 and about an inch thick and heavy and glossy, but it doesn't have any essays or english translation in it. It is the full musical score with the words in italian and that's it. If that's what you want then I would heartily recommend this book. However as it isn't what I wanted I've sent it back.

Good Mail Day
Good Mail Day
by Jennie Hinchcliff

4.0 out of 5 stars It is good, but..., 22 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Good Mail Day (Paperback)
I read this cover to cover and it is a good book about mail art. It gives a lot of history and has some good resources in the back. It also has the cute extras to get you started. But...something's holding me back from giving it 5 stars. It may just be me being lazy but I am generally pretty crafty and still this book didn;t inspire me to get started. So overall I'd say it's a good book to look at and to give you history but it's a bit too safe to be inspiring.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2011 7:07 AM BST

How to Live with a Huge Penis
How to Live with a Huge Penis
by Richard Jacob

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually very funny, 22 Jan. 2010
This is not a bad taste/viz type book. It is funny but it is written like a genuine self-help book rather than being gross. We bought it as a joke office present for a colleague's birthday and everyone has been passing it around and reading it. The measuring scales on the inside covers have particularly caused a lot of laughs.

The Bread Book: The Definitive Guide to Making Bread by Hand or Machine
The Bread Book: The Definitive Guide to Making Bread by Hand or Machine
by Sara Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book for beginners, 12 Jan. 2010
I can't fault this book. I had never made bread before and since buying it I've made lots. It takes you through all the basic of hand and machine bread (I've only used it for handmade) and has a great selection of recipes. Most recipes give different quantities depending on how big a loaf you want to make. I've since bought another bread book with more recipes, but I still go back to this one.

Basically, I really like and recommend this book.

Kanzashi in Bloom: 20 Simple Fold-and-Sew Projects to Wear and Give
Kanzashi in Bloom: 20 Simple Fold-and-Sew Projects to Wear and Give
by Diane Gilleland

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 12 Jan. 2010
This is a brilliant book. I had been looking at some kanzashi tutorials online but the how-to pages in this book are better than all of them. Very clear photos of each stage make it so easy to get going. Plus there is a special section on what to do if a petal goes wonky or your flower is floppy (no sniggering - this is serious stuff!). I made my first one in about half an hour and it might not be perfect but it's pretty adorable and perfectly presentable.

One thing to note - you don;t need to be able to sew to make these. Although they are fabric most of the putting together is done with glue. You do need needle and thread at one point but it is only one small step.

There is also a website and a Flickr Group of what other readers have made to lots of additional inspiration is available.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3