Profile for B. Scott > Reviews

Content by B. Scott

B. Scott "scottwj"

Power Trip: The Epilogue
Power Trip: The Epilogue

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written, interesting insights into Government in general ..., 28 Jun. 2015
Very well written, interesting insights into Government in general. Have made me think about modern journalists (some merely copying Party press releases, other much more independent - and named!). The book has also made me consider my opinion of some of the Labour leaders (those prior to the 2015 election), Ed Balls in particular.

Betron B-25 Noise Isolating in Ear Canal Headphones Earphones with Pure Sound and Powerful Bass for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Samsung, Nokia, HTC , Mp3 Players etc (Silver-Black)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality, 28 Jun. 2015
Delivered as advertised. Good sound quality. Fit snugly in my large(ish) ears [supplied with smaller size buds in addition) Used daily & have proved robust so far. Wife and daughter have commented positively on the headphones' look. Very happy.

Til Death (87th Precinct)
Til Death (87th Precinct)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read. I have not yet read a bad ..., 19 Dec. 2014
A good read. I have not yet read a bad Ed McBain novel.

100 Days to Victory: How the Great War Was Fought and Won 1914-1918
100 Days to Victory: How the Great War Was Fought and Won 1914-1918

4.0 out of 5 stars ... little difficult to read initially as the grammar was poor resulting in it not being clear (to this reader ..., 19 Dec. 2014
A little difficult to read initially as the grammar was poor resulting in it not being clear (to this reader at least) to which person in the previous paragraph the current paragraph was referring to. Either my skills got better or the writing improved as this problem was not an issue after the first few chapters. An interesting read.

JETech® APPLE CERTIFIED USB Sync and Charging Cable for iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 3G/3GS, iPad 1/2/3, iPod 3.2 Feet (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived on time and as expected. The leads are ..., 19 Dec. 2014
Arrived on time and as expected. The leads are flat and seem more robust than the original circular leads, that we needed to replace due significant to fraying at the iPhone / iPad connector end.

10 x GU10 High Power 3w 48 SMD LED Warm White = 40-50w Halogen Bulbs
10 x GU10 High Power 3w 48 SMD LED Warm White = 40-50w Halogen Bulbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Jun. 2011
Excellent bulbs. The are the same size and shape as the GU10s that they replaced. The lit face comprises many little squares that light up immediately.

Will buy again.

Bill

12 GU10 Energy Saving Light Bulbs 11w. Warm Or Cool White. Equivalent To Standard 50 Watt GU-10 Lamps
Offered by UKHobbyStore ~ PowerSaveBulbs UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Chunky and slow to come to full brightness . . ., 25 Jun. 2011
but when they do come to full brightness they are good. I use in a four-bulb ceiling mounting. Two bulbs are these and two are energy-saving LED bulbs. I bought both types to trial which were best. The LED lights come to brightness immediately and are certainly slimmer and more visually pleasing than these bulbs, which are quite bulky. The bulbs are used in a study and once I have switched on the PC and ready to work (a few minutes) these bulbs are almost to full brightness. Both types have been in use for 6 months and have not faded.

The LED bulbs were 10 for £80 and these 12 for £44. I would continue to use in pairs, I would not use these bulbs alone as they are too dim for too long on start up. Once the 12 are used I would replace them with the energy saving LEDs.

Bill
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2016 11:19 AM GMT

Canon PIXMA MX885 All-In-One Colour Photo Print (Print, Copy, Scan, Fax)
Canon PIXMA MX885 All-In-One Colour Photo Print (Print, Copy, Scan, Fax)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good printer, great ADF scanner, 25 Jun. 2011
This printer replaced a Canon IP4000r that seemed to last forever, only being replaced because the switch confirming that the paper-out door was open had failed.
We choose this printer because it has an automatic document feed (ADF) for the scanner. The ADF also does automatic double-sided scanning.

The printer is very easy to set up - the warnings about installing the print head are scarier in the reading than in achieving the actual task. The WIFI setup was automatic with a Dell running Windows 7.

The print function is fast and of excellent quality (I print cropped A4 pictures from a Canon 5DII). The printer can be away from the PC as the paper output door opens automatically when printing!

I save the best to last. The ADF scanner function is great! Previously I used a Canon flatbed scanner and to scan a magazine would take perhaps an hour with attention required every minute or so and thus the magazines piled up.

I have scanned many magazines in the few weeks that I have had this scanner and it has been so easy. The supplied software allows PDF documents to be constructed from the scanned pages so a complete magazine (separated into individual pages) could be loaded and the articles saved independently. The software is very easy to use. The only issue is that the output tray for the ADF is a little on the small side and can clog stopping the scanner working. Solution: scan a few less pages or remove the pages as the scan progresses.

I have not spoken much about the printing as the same excellent Canon quality can be achieved with cheaper printers. We bought this because of the ADF double-sided scanner and that works better than expected and is well worth the extra money and space that this printer requires.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2011 11:16 PM GMT

Ex-Pro® [VALUE - 2 PACKS] Power Plus+ Ultra High Capacity AA recharegable 2900mAh Batteries - Pack of 8 Batteries - specifically for High drain devices, Toys, Games, Consoles etc.. Long Lasting !
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Revised opinion - much better, 8 Dec. 2009
A month on these batterioes are better. In my case they seem to need at least three full charges to charge fully and then hold their charge. The batteries can now keep up with multi-shot (with flash) on a 5DII. I now think that they are worth 5 stars. Perhaps I should review my charger! (Jan 10)

These batteries are worse than 2700mAh AAs that I have. These loose their charge quickly (I charge after use so as to be ready for the next time). They also drain quickly in the flash (Speedlite 430EX) and the recycyle time is much slower than the 2700mAH, after 2 or three flashes they take about 5 - 10 secs to recycle. I don't know if the difference is due to the brand or whether the 2850mAh type are poor.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2010 3:39 PM GMT

Canon PIXMA iP4000R Colour Bubble Jet Wi-Fi Printer
Canon PIXMA iP4000R Colour Bubble Jet Wi-Fi Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up wirelessly and good prints, 25 Nov. 2004
Within 60 minutes of receiving the printer I could print wirelessly. I have a wirless network at home using a Linksys wireless router. I have tried using an add-on D-Snap wireless print server to connect a Canon S900 and have failed (IT at work [now!] strongly recommend staying with one wireless manufacturer for ease of use), so I was worried about making this printer work. No need. Very simple with the laptop & printer doing all the work via a USB cable which is then disconnected.
The digital prints (from a Sony DSC V-1) are very good, better than the S900 (using the same ink cartridges, much to my surprise and delight) and the printing itself is very quite and speedy (even compared to the S900, which itself was a significant improvement over our previous printers).
I am very pleased with my purchase.