Profile for Lynne M. Heslip > Reviews

Content by Lynne M. Heslip

Lynne M. Heslip (Howell, MI United States)

The Winter Crown (Eleanor of Aquitaine trilogy)
The Winter Crown (Eleanor of Aquitaine trilogy)
by Elizabeth Chadwick

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Eleanor I would have liked to meet, 26 Oct. 2014
Wow! Once again, Elizabeth Chadwick makes Eleanor of Aquitaine come alive. Not as the naughty and hostile queen of Henry II, but as a woman with brains, living in a world completely dominated by men. A very refreshing side of Eleanor, indeed. This is the Eleanor I would have liked to meet!

Can't wait for the last book in the trilogy, and am hoping Ms. Chadwick may want to explore the lives of Eleanor's daughters.

The Pagan Lord (The Last Kingdom Series, Book 7) (The Warrior Chronicles)
The Pagan Lord (The Last Kingdom Series, Book 7) (The Warrior Chronicles)
by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great adventure for Utred!, 21 Nov. 2013
Utred and his crusty and gutsy band of Pagans scored another hit! Bernard Cornwell really brings a past shrouded in the mists of time vividly to life!

Lady Of The English
Lady Of The English
by Elizabeth Chadwick

3.0 out of 5 stars Praise for Chadwick's latest medieval tale., 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Lady Of The English (Hardcover)
Being a die hard fan of Elizabeth Chadwick, I must admit I awaited the arrival of Lady of the English with great impatience. Upon it's arrival, I immediately began the journey into the lives of Matilda and Adeliza. For this book is about both women.

Ms. Chadwick's take on Matilda is very much tempered with support and excuses for this very disparaged Empress. And although the book has a rather sad and irritating overtone, I found Ms. Chadwick's prose to be as interesting as ever and, I am sure, historically accurate. It must have been a monumental task to sift through the written historical records to find much of anything redeeming in Matilda's treatment of those around her.

However, even with Chadwick's numerous attempts to excuse Matilda's behavior, I found I could not like her at all. And that totally colored my enjoyment of the book.

Ms. Chadwick's treatment of Adeliza was curiously benign, and I wonder why so much of the storeline was devoted to her. Perhaps it was to show that Matilda did, at least, have one friend.

I am glad that I purchased this book, as I think Elizabeth Chadwick is an exceptional author, and meticulous in her research. And I eagerly await her next book.