Profile for M. Hunter > Reviews

Content by M. Hunter

M. Hunter

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
SAKI: 156 NOVELS, SHORT STORIES & SKETCHES (Including The Westminster Alice, illustrated) (Timeless Wisdom Collection Book 4875)

4.0 out of 5 stars an amusing dip into upper-crust life a century ago, 9 Jun. 2016
Many of these short stories are very fine, humorous, witty, well observed; but occasionally I was overcome by the tedium of wading through the attitudes which were doubtless real and widespread at the time of writing (e.g. anti-suffragette) and at the assumptions of the people about whom he is writing (upper-class, with private income, not working, not expecting ever to have to work, dependent on a fleet of servants, woman's whole ambition is finding rich husband, wastrel bloke's whole ambition is to find a rich wife (and waste her money)); no doubt this is how that small part of the population lived at the time, and immersion in it has a certain fascination, but one is left thinking that without two world wars to sweep that life-style away, we common people would still be bowing and scraping and cleaning up their messes..But it's worth a read not only for entertainment value but also to appreciate how far we've come in 100 years.

Benny Hill
Benny Hill

1.0 out of 5 stars incomplete, 9 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Benny Hill (MP3 Download)
so far as I can see the download is complete byt the theme tune just stops in the middle

Fire Tablet, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB (Blue) - Includes Special Offers
Fire Tablet, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB (Blue) - Includes Special Offers

5.0 out of 5 stars almost completely pleased, 30 May 2016
This is a great toy for an aged disabled person who can no longer read small print (which I am); actually it can do a lot of things that probably I'll never use, but that hardly matters - I have only two tiny criticisms, which are too niggling to remove a star from the rating: 1. I wish there was a handle or carrying strap of some sort (I'm on crutches and it's difficult to carry it about safely), and 2. I wish it included a stylus and attachment to hold it, or at least that one of the accessory cases did. In spite of these wishes, I'm very happy: the performance is excellent, the screen is easy to read, the addition of the back camera is good. Possibly the movie option may come to be useful if our internet speed here ever accelerates beyond Snailspeed in the future, but I can live perfectly pleasantly without movies.

Make Me: (Jack Reacher 20)
Make Me: (Jack Reacher 20)

1.0 out of 5 stars time for a change?, 25 April 2016
oh dear, I never thought that in contemplating Reacher and his habits I'd travel beyond mere irritation into boredom, and that I'd wish the bad guys would polish him off before he could (yet again) buy a whole set of replacement clothes, put his toothbrush in the new pocket (why does he still use that old toothbrush?) and set the alarm clock in his head (which no doubt copes faultlessly with different time-zones). For some episodes now I've had the feeling that Lee Child is trying to kill him off, but backs away at the last moment. Please do it swiftly and painlessly, Mr Child: or marry him off to some passing FBI agentess, and give him a baby to look after, he badly needs a change.

The Lady in the Van
The Lady in the Van

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious and sad, 25 April 2016
As you'd expect from Alan Bennett, a marvellous account of the years when he made room for a lady and her van that would have had many people reaching for the law to get rid of them. His description of her clothes and habits and utterances are both hilarious and tear-jerking, and suffused with the dry humanity that is his trademark.

Silk Filled 100% SmartSilkTM Duvet Quilt All Seasons Duvets 5 Tog Different Sizes (Twin / Single (140cm X 200cm))
Offered by Bullahshah

5.0 out of 5 stars very cosy, 25 April 2016
I've always previously had down-filled duvets, and I wondered how silk would compare. After only a few nights of sleeping under this silk duvet I'm a convert - at least for sleeping in a house: I suspect down is maybe lighter for the same warmth if you're carrying it any distance for sleeping in a tent; this silk duvet is for sleeping in the conservatory which gets quite cold at night, and it has been very cosy during nights when the temperature dropped fairly low. I've yet to find out how it will behave around midsummer, when we can have anything from 0 to 18 C.

Screen Cleaner with Cleaning Brush and Fine Microfibre Towel for Laptops, Computers, PC, Monitor, Televisions, Tablets, iPad etc
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars a great product, 23 April 2016
I hadn't realised how much I was losing until I cleaned the computer screen - how could it have got so grimy without me noticing? I was amazed. so I went on to the TV screen, a lot newer than the computer so not quite as dirty, but what a difference the cleaning made! A great product.

Owls Double Sided Tapestry Fabric Draught Excluder (90x17cms approx)
Owls Double Sided Tapestry Fabric Draught Excluder (90x17cms approx)

5.0 out of 5 stars effective and lovely, 23 April 2016
beautiful and effective, works just as well as a long cushion in addition to draught excluder, and is pleasing to the eye

The Secret Servant (Harry Maxim series Book 1)
The Secret Servant (Harry Maxim series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars masterly, 23 April 2016
Almost perfect, clever plot, realistic characterisation, good snappy writing; I nearly knocked off one of the stars because it's a bit slow at the start, with perhaps a bit much to-ing and fro-ing between officials - but you need to understand this background to appreciate all the nuances, so I put the star back on again.

In my humble opinion Gavin Lyall outclasses all others in the thriller genre, though he hasn't had nearly as much publicity as (e.g.) Le Carre or Frederick Forsyth. Since there will be no more from his pen, I'm just going to have to read them for the second and (many) third time. Unlike many another thriller, Lyall's are rewarding to re-read, you always get details that you missed the first time.

The Stepmother's Diary
The Stepmother's Diary

4.0 out of 5 stars real life writ large, 5 April 2016
Fay Weldon gives us her usual array of fascinating monsters; there are no goodies or baddies here - you can sympathise with the attitude and actions of even the least attractive character and see the inevitability of disastrous outcome, very like real life writ large, with added knowledge. I ended the book glad that my lot are nowhere near as dire and simultaneously worried that I might be thinking that just because I don't know enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10