Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for D. Heaney > Reviews

Content by D. Heaney

D. Heaney (edinburgh scotland)

The Year of Stalingrad 1946 [Hardcover]
The Year of Stalingrad 1946 [Hardcover]
by Werth Alexander

1.0 out of 5 stars Also some pages were duplicated and I had only read 26 pages but with great difficulty! I am terribly disappointed, 2 Sept. 2015
The quality of the printing is dreadful, I think because the too much ink was absorbed by the paper thus causing smudginess. Also some pages were duplicated and I had only read 26 pages but with great difficulty! I am terribly disappointed.
The only good comment I can make is that the delivery and packing was first class.

Jew Suss
Jew Suss
by Lion: Feuchtwanger

5.0 out of 5 stars Hubris, Nemesis and Catharsis!, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Jew Suss (Hardcover)
Excellently written; Feuchtwanger paints a marvellous picture of mittel Europe in the 18th century and the machinations of courtesans, princes, financiers and the rest!
I imagine the jew, Suss as the first Rothchild.
Interestingly the Nazis made a propoganda film of the same name where Jew Suss is vilified as base, detestable and loathsome. Whereas for me, Feuchtwanger shows a nobility of purpose and culture in Suss and of Judaism generally.
The Nazis banned the book and Feuchtwanger was fortunate to escape to the USA where he wrote Josephus, the Jewish War, which I heartily recommend

Empires of the Sea: The Final Battle for the Mediterranean, 1521-1580
Empires of the Sea: The Final Battle for the Mediterranean, 1521-1580
by Roger Crowley

5.0 out of 5 stars A roller coaster ride!, 13 May 2013
This is a non stop page turner. Historically accurate but written in a, for me, "Boys Own" rip roaring way. Very gripping and left me with a lot of "what if?" questions.

Errol Flynn Western Collection [DVD]
Errol Flynn Western Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Errol Flynn

5.0 out of 5 stars San Antonio, 22 Feb. 2010
For me this was purely a sentimental journey.
It was the first movie I remember, I'm closing in on 70 and when it was released my mother took me to see it back in the mid/late forties when I fell in love with Alexis Smith singing "some sunday morning"
I had thought that one of the villains was Victor Jory but maybe that was in some other western.
Anyway memory does play tricks on one but not, in my case, when it came to Alexis sassying in the saloon. Priceless!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2010 3:11 PM BST