Profile for Max Herman > Reviews

Content by Max Herman

Max Herman "I like Amazon." (England, United Kingdom, EU)

Geometry Wars: Galaxies (Wii)
Geometry Wars: Galaxies (Wii)
Offered by * The Game Monkey *

5.0 out of 5 stars Geometry Wars Galaxies, 23 Jan. 2008
Reviews aren't my "thing" but as this has yet to receive any feedback, I thought I would offer some food for thought...

Now that I've had it for a few days or so GWG has become one of my top five favourite Wii games.

It's nice that they've included the XBox Live original, which gives one a good way to compare how much more there really is to this new title. There is a great deal of variety with different challenges to be had within the fifty-eight stages (sixty-five if you also own the DS version). Some of them can vary quite a bit.

For example, there's one that has a gravity well in the center of the stage which affects both the enemy drones and your own movement. Another has waves of drones coming from the outer bounds of the arena crossing from one side to the other; the trick is that as the stage progresses you'll eventually have four waves (or more) crossing from all sides at the same time, making it quite difficult to survive. Others have mine layers, random moving blocks through which only the enemies can pass, and narrow tunnels which make one's life tough. Some stages will give the player only one life and no bombs.

It's nice that each type of drone has its own specific spawn sound. That way one can easily discern what one needs to look out for. The player's helper drone is quite ... err ... helpful, but even it can't save you from poor movement choices. It takes a bit of playing to level it up to make it really useful, though.

As far as controls are concerned, I much prefer IR over classic controller. Surprisingly, the IR controls feel a whole lot more natural and comfortable to me, and they don't limit me to only angle shots.

All in all, GWG is a very fun game better played in short bursts, although I have played it over an hour at times. I give the game a 9/10.

Wii vs DS version: Some reviews posed the question whether the higher price for the Wii version was worth it. I would give it a resounding yes. The Wii game allowed me to download Retro Evolved to my DS, and I must say I was quite underwhelmed when I tried it out. The trademark graphical effects are completely missing and it looks generally dull. In addition, the DS game runs noticeably slower. If you have both a DS and Wii I would definitely recommend you get the Wii game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive recording of Ives' Sonata No.2 "Concord, Mass", 2 Oct. 2005
This review is from: - (Audio CD)
I've heard other recordings of Ives' monumental Sonata 2 - this is by far the best. Where others might be content in simply getting through the music and providing a laboured interpretation, Mr. Hamelin has the ability to overcome it's enormous difficulties and focus on the music. This is no mean feat - the juxtaposition of chaos and calm throughout is like nothing i have ever heard!

The sonata by Wright is a perfect match. This is not filler... it's a wonderfully icy piece with contrasting harmonics and intensely poetic inward-reflecting mindscapes.

I would choose this over the Hyperion recording anyday. The Ives sonata is a better performance and the Wright sonata is infinitely more interesting than Barber's sonata.