Profile for Stalyvegas > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Falling
Falling

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a lovely read, 17 May 2017
This review is from: Falling (Kindle Edition)
I really loved this book, I thought the characters were so real and developed - the story felt well told and really believable.
I especially loved the development of Honour, it was a beautiful unfurling of a character.

i would absolutely recommend this book, Julie writes beautifully - and this is a worthy successor to Dear Thing.

The Idea of You
The Idea of You

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good emotive read, 28 Mar. 2017
This review is from: The Idea of You (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book - the subject matter is something I have some experience of and felt it was handled very sensitively. The emotions that Lucy felt, also felt real to me and I could empathise with her story - the struggles adjusting to her new family set was also handled really well. The ending did the story justice and I would recommend this book to friends.

Blame
Blame

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - would really recommend, 13 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Blame (Kindle Edition)
Such an unexpectedly enthralling read - I finished it in one sitting as I was desperate to know what happened and how everything unfolded.

It was brilliantly written and a superb story, I could feel the frustration and upset and I wept at the conclusion. Such a beautiful ending to the book.

The Little Antique Shop Under The Eiffel Tower (The Little Paris Collection, Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me I'm afraid. Nothing grabbed me at all., 31 July 2016
I was given the opportunity to read this book in return for honest review.

I was really disappointed, and its hard to write that as really wanted to like it. The concept I found totally unbelievable - personally selecting clients, only taking people who you've know for years, only selling items that you know the history & story of.... from this description Anouk should be 55-60 not mid twenties, I would have found the premise much more believable at this age range - plus older people are entitled to a romance and love life too.

I struggled through the book as I had been given a copy to review and felt I needed to complete the story - it just wasn't a fun read for me I'm afraid. I can see lots of positive reviews so I'm sure I am in the minority.

Truly Madly Guilty
Truly Madly Guilty

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Summer Read, 28 July 2016
I love Liane Moriarty, I have read all her other books and was so excited to be granted a copy of this to read in return for an honest, thank you NetGalley.

I enjoy Liane's style, it flows really well and her characters are always visible in my mind (especially Vid & Tiffany), I have preferred some of her other books as they had a more complete purpose - where this felt like a series of mini stories linked together and the main event wasn't quite as breathtaking as I was expecting, but whatever was going on captured my attention completely and I couldn't put it down. I always love reading Liane's books and cant wait for the next one already!

In Twenty Years: A Novel
In Twenty Years: A Novel
by Allison Winn Scotch

4.0 out of 5 stars A really involving book with a warm heart., 26 July 2016
Thank you to Lake Union Publishing for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review. It started well, and I really enjoyed the interplay between the characters - I felt it was a little long winded in the middle, some of the action could have been skipped over and Catherine was so highly strung it was frustrating not to be able to shake her - but everything pulled together for the ending, Bea's wisdom shone through and there were some lovely touching moments where they all felt the calm that came over us. I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it.

When I Lost You: A gripping, heart breaking novel of lost love.
When I Lost You: A gripping, heart breaking novel of lost love.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable read, great book., 10 Jun. 2016
I really enjoyed this book, the story was involved and the characters drew me in and I really wanted to get to the end - I didn't want to put it down.

The locations were described beautifully and I could really feel myself there, the emotions felt by the female lead were realistic in the situation and the conclusion was pretty good.

After the Lie: A gripping novel about love, loss and family secrets
After the Lie: A gripping novel about love, loss and family secrets

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly not great., 10 Jun. 2016
I was a bit disappointed in this book, I don't feel it warrants less than 3 stars as I think its 'OK' but I wouldnt really recommend it to others unfortunately.

Without spoiling it for anyone, the lie itself didn't seem serious enough to have warranted the effect, the coincidence further down the time line seemed too contrived - and one of the actions by the main character was so ridiculously out of character that I just found it an unbelievable step I'm afraid.

I wanted to get to the end, and I don't criticise the writing itself - but the plot line left me a bit cold I'm afraid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2016 12:43 PM BST

Life and Other Near-Death Experiences
Life and Other Near-Death Experiences

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic 5 Star book - loved it, absolutely stunning book., 10 Jun. 2016
Although I was hesitant to read this as the description told you there was a serious illness involved (and Im a weeper) I took a chance, and this is an outstanding book - I absolutely loved it.

The strong main character acted how you would with your inner monologue but never dare to do in real life, I laughed out loud and cried too - I felt for the character but was uplifted by the end.

Shtum: A funny and uplifting story of families and love
Shtum: A funny and uplifting story of families and love

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-read. Emotional and a tough read but so worth it, 7 April 2016
Schtum was such a hard book to read, the realism smacks you in the face & the injustice of the situation was distressing. But it was also really rewarding and filled with emotional and pockets of warmth - and I could really empathise with both parents.

For me, the almost unrelated end section was the best, it was really beautiful.
Thanks to Tbc and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3