Profile for Ms. Y. Booth > Reviews

Content by Ms. Y. Booth

Ms. Y. Booth

Shift Happens!: How to Live an Inspired Life... Starting from Now!
Shift Happens!: How to Live an Inspired Life... Starting from Now!
by Robert Holden

2.0 out of 5 stars speaks in a language that I find a bit off putting, 9 May 2012
This book was suggested reading for a course I'm undertaking on mindfulness and meditation.

It's is a book that could be very well received by those who are interested in "self help" generally or for those who are encountering such ideas for the first time.
However, for myself I find the book speaks in a language that I find a bit off putting.

I have glimpses of the author having a real understanding of what it is to be a fully alive human being and he does reap from all traditions of wisdom. However this often retold in a way that comes across a bit `new age corporate'.

I understand that Robert's coaching courses have been used in the UK and USA by global brands, media groups and international companies and he does seem quite driven to get his message across in the corporate world. This is the environment he has become immersed in.

For me, his use of language puts across the fundamental idea that there is a `goal' to be `achieved', and personal `growth' to be had, a concept which does not move me to feel personally inspired.

By it's nature the language of Self `help' and personal `growth' come from a standpoint of us doing things the wrong way and Dr Holden is keen to give us what feels to me like a bullet pointed psychotherapy session with exclamation marks.

I found passages such as "Shift your life from mundane and meaningless to magnificently miraculous! a little depressing, as I'd not thought of my life as quite being `mundane and meaningless' before he pointed it out.

Passages too such as `Harness stress to take you to new heights of success" feel a little like the language of the ego trying to obtain "more" in fact the back cover text exults "shift happens is about `more', more happiness, more success, more love, more peace, more prosperity and more joy.

In a nutshell I feel Robert Holden's book, read without attention could make real happiness look like it comes down to a matter of "searching", "thinking" and "choice of thought", rather than the search for happiness often really `being' the biggest block to happiness.

On page 169 however Robert reminds me why I enjoy, and am inspired by the practice of yoga rather than reading self help books:

"Real healing is about surrender, forgiveness, letting go and release.
Meditation, breathwork, yoga, dance... are all so effective because they bypass thinking... happiness is ultimately the relinquishment of thoughts, theories and thesis."

Clayhanger (Large Print Edition)
Clayhanger (Large Print Edition)
by Arnold Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars clayhanger - don't miss reading it, 7 April 2011
Edwin Clayhanger's character captivated me and left me completely in love with him. Don't miss out on the dvd from the 70's series, which is beautifully done. Peter McEnery's Edwin couldn't be better cast and so sensitively and wittily played. It's also surprisingly funny in parts.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2011 10:33 AM GMT

Clayhanger - The Complete Series [DVD] [1976]
Clayhanger - The Complete Series [DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ Peter McEnery
Offered by musicMagpie

5.0 out of 5 stars clayhanger - don't miss it, 22 Feb. 2011
if you can get used to the pace and make it through the first 2 episodes, you'll be well rewarded.

I watched it as a schoolchild. I completely fell in love with Edwin Clayhanger and even wrote a schoolgirl letter to Peter McEenery , ha ha, who kindly replied with a long letter saying how the character had deeply affected him.

I love this series so much (even on modern day viewing) it makes me hold my breath with anticipation.

The theatrical style of filming works really well and the wonderfully liberating lack of background muzac adds to it's perfection.
Hearing Edwin and Hilda's internal dialogue moved' me tremendously.
Wonderful to see it back.
Would highly recommend it. Especially to those who have never experienced an understated production.

Peter McEnery, what can I say, as perfect and sensitive an actor as you'll see
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2012 4:24 PM BST