Profile for Victor Nefarian > Reviews

Content by Victor Nefarian

Victor Nefarian

Page: 1 | 2
Sennheiser PMX60 Open Dynamic Neckband On-Ear Headphones (latest version)
Sennheiser PMX60 Open Dynamic Neckband On-Ear Headphones (latest version)

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small, 8 Jun. 2015
Too small, I can just about fit it over my ears as long as I don't mind the discomfort. Why isn't this adjustable??

Heavy Meta [Explicit]
Heavy Meta [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Still awesome, 8 Jun. 2015
Maybe not quite as good as their last 3 albums but still a cut above the rest. So I'm still giving 5 stars and not out of generosity.

Dungeons & Dragons Starter Box (D&d Boxed Game)
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Box (D&d Boxed Game)
by Wizards of the Coast
Edition: Misc. Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars More for beginners than veterans from old editions., 14 Oct. 2014
For all the faults found in other reviews the starter set was very good. The hooks were actually on the **PreGen Character Sheets**, rather than in the story itself, which had a generic beginning of escorting a delivery of supplies to a frontier town. It meant that the PCs reasons for taking the job and heading to said town were actually quite significant to them, and each for a different reason.

However I find fault in the character sheets themselves. In spite of being incredibly informative, only the first side was done in the style of the blanks sheets (filled in), which was good in as much as it gave new players a good example of how it's filled but the rest of the information that'd go on a character sheet was crammed on the reverse side, and not in a way that resembled the other sheets from the full version of the game. It was useful insomuch as it gave some idea of what a character gains at higher levels but did not help in such a way that players could refer to it while filling out blank sheets with their own characters

I do agree with others one 1 issue (spoilers) during 1st chapter encounter an enemy may try to strike a bargain with the PCs, but will renege once they do as he asks. This could cause players to avoid making deals with enemies in future games.

Wallace and Gromit Complete (PC DVD)
Wallace and Gromit Complete (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY. THIS. NOW!, 14 Oct. 2014
Excellent game, remarkably true to the film series and extremely nostalgic of Northern England!

Relentless Devotion Can 500 ml (Pack of 12)
Relentless Devotion Can 500 ml (Pack of 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great condition, thanks!, 12 May 2014
Arrived sooner than I expected but I wasn't expecting it too soon. (I was going through a busy period and half forgot).

Melissa & Doug 12576 Pirate Chest
Melissa & Doug 12576 Pirate Chest

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Buy this for your little pirates, they will love you for it., 10 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Pirate Chest (Toy)
I thought I'd written a review for this an it turned out I may well have done, since every time I log into amazon, lately, I find my mother's been using my computer and left her details saved onto it, so when I go to sign in and fail to notice who's details are on the screen; I click ok and I'm unknowingly on her account.

Anyway, I've left a review (at least 1) and don't see the point in writing another. I wouldn't be wasting your time with this except that Amazon'll keep sending me messages, asking me to write one, if I don't.

I will say this, however; my little pirates are so imaginative they've used their chests for every conceivable use (and I have been quite astounded) except as the storage containers that chests, ultimately, are. (They're too fun, and even nice, to be simple boxes!)

Oh yeah, and the only reason I gave it a 4 for durability is because they've only had them for about 2 weeks but they seem pretty sturdy. I wouldn't risk breaking them by using them as a stepping stool only because I'd hate to find out how durable they are by breaking 1 and having to replace it.

On Stranger Tides
On Stranger Tides
by Tim Powers

4.0 out of 5 stars The movie could have been comfortably closer to this, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: On Stranger Tides (Paperback)
Apparently this book was a partial inspiration Ron Gilbert's 'Monkey Island' series. So I was expecting this to be more of a comedy, though I was prepared for it to be a more serious novel. I wasn't disappointed, though, and the story wasn't bereft of humour.

You may be disappointed (or, as I was, glad) that the book has little in common with the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean movie, though it does have several similar themes to them which remain just as relevant to the plot; Piracy in the Caribbean, Black beard, Voodoo, Zombies and the Fountain of Youth. No murmaids. And Black beard has no daughter... At least not one who makes an appearance. In real life he probably had a few, as he was a polygamist and pimp, though the book doesn't really touch on these facts).

About the plot;

The story itself is a modern fantasy, set in the Caribean around the early 18th century; toward the end of the "Golden Age of Piracy".

We meet the central protagonist, John Chandagnac (aka, Jack Shandy) a puppeteer (though 'Master' puppeteer might be more accurate) after he has learned that his uncle cheated his father out of an inheritance that would have prevented him from dying in poverty out of starvation and exposure and is living on a large estate on an island near Jamaica and set off to confront him. After befriending the ship's captain and a mutual crush forming between he and fellow passenger, Elizabeth Hurwood, the ship is attacked by pirates.

After attacking the pirate captain, Phil Davies, he's given the choice of joining the crew as part of Blackbeard's flotilla or execution. He eventually befriend's Davies and most of the crew and, after discovering a knack for many of the crews duties (sailing, navigation, gunnery and especially cooking) he quickly ascends the ranks until, near the end, he is the captain of the Vociferous Carmicheal; the ship he was originally a passenger of.

The main antagonists are perverse English magicians, Professor Benjimin Hurwood, his apprentice, Doctor Leo friend (probably named ironically as he is the most disgusting character in the book) and the famous Dread Pirate Edward Thetch (Blackbeard) who is also a master of Vodun (properly referred to as Vodun), The latter of which is one of a very few men who know the location of the Fountain of Youth, the former, Hurward, being the only man who knows how to actually get to it once they have arrived.

Not only do all 3 of them plan to live forever but they all have selfish but conflicting plans for Hurwood's daughter, the aforementioned Elizabeth, one wishing to forcibly marry, one wishing to displace (and subsequently destroy) her soul and replace it with that of his deceased wife and one who intends to use his magic to make her a willing rape victim (not content to simply dominate her body he wishes to dominate her mind).

However it seems that, as desperate as she is to escape, she has become increasingly distrustful of the only man who still cares enough to rescue her as he is increasingly forced to *fully* embrace the life of piracy...

About the writing;

The research by Powers was clearly thorough, each scene set with minute detail without dwelling on it to the point of tedium.

There's nothing, no anachronism, cliche or plot device that made me cringe with the exception of 2 scarcely used Americanisms; cilantro (which should have been properly referred to as coriander) and friend's perverse use of the term 'mommy' (which should have been 'mummy' or, given the time period, possibly 'mama').

There are a few fantasy staples in there, such as magic is real and used to be common throughout the world but simply faded away over time. However Powers actually explains this, as 'magic' has its own scientific laws and actually comes off as pretty plausible in the end. Once I reminded myself that magic wasn't real I had to keep reminding myself that magic in other fiction doesn't work on the same principles.

I think this book *just* fell short of being a truly great book, but I'm not sure how. I think it could have been the focus on the 2 villains of his own creation, Prof. Hurwood and Dr. Friend and their perversion made the final antagonist, Black Beard, comparatively likeable when in reality he was one of history's most brutal and loathsome pirates.

However this could have been because the story of the book was set in a realistic setting and all characters, events and locations that had real life counter parts have remained unchanged; limiting the influence of them within the book allows the author to remain creatively flexible while not being anachronistic.

They story is good, well researched and the subject matter is fascinating but all in all it's missing that certain something, that 'x' factor or Je ne sais quoi that would have caused me to give it a full 5/5 star rating. But if you're a big fan of pirates, period drama or general fantasy (and bored with wizards and dragons) then this is a book I'd happily recommend :)

Chasing Amy [DVD] [1997]
Chasing Amy [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Ben Affleck
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Kevin Smith film I ever saw, 15 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Chasing Amy [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
I enjoyed this film so much that I had to reduce every Smith I've rated on Amazon by 1 star to make the comparison.

Runaway: A Road Adventure (PC DVD)
Runaway: A Road Adventure (PC DVD)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken Sword Wannabe, 6 April 2008
There are a number of ways to rate an adventure game that differ greatly from any other type of game. We'll start on familiar territory.

Graphics; very aesthetically pleasing but not well thought out in this case. While graphics aren't an essential selling point of a point-and-click its best that they're as clear as possible so that we don't have to resort to trawling the cursor over every inch of the screen like we're dragging for bodies at the river. In most of these games we'll end up doing that when we're stuck anyway but, in this one, you'll find yourself doing it *all the god damned time*. Plus there's a bunch of objects at *every* location which, ultimately, is completely useless to us. Yeah, I know that 'Red Herrings' are another essential but this goes way too far.

'The Runaway' gets a star for being visually stunning but should lose it again for having clues and other objects frustratingly badly hidden. I'm feeling generous.

Plot; The plot in this game sucks. An adventure game is like an interactive movie and is therefore highly plot driven. I'd give it a point for originality but take it away for just sucking.

Characters; It loses another point here. The main character, Brian Bosco, is a buff nerd who wears glasses he doesn't need (and feels the need to explain this in great detail when he comes to lose them) about to start his degree on the other in a college on the other side of the country. He's very Mary Sue, (an idealised version of the writer) which is worrying because he's extremely easily manipulated by his sexy stripper love interest who talks him into body guarding her but does nothing but lie and omit sections of the truth while doing so. Gina is the only interesting character, largely because she's a liar and we don't get to find out some basic truths about her until several acts into the story. She may be the creator's ideal woman, which is a plus in this case, but it could indicate that he associates lies with women so much that even his dream girl can't stop doing so. The villains are stereotypical Mafia from some cheesy kids show. (actually, no... cartoon mobsters are usually parodies of The Godfather and don't come off so badly). You wouldn't expect mobsters so cheesy in even the worst film/show/game that is intended for adults.

Dialogue and Acting: couldn't get any worse. The script is atrocious. If this story was presented in any other genre the writer would face execution in some countries. Nothing said in this game feels like it would be somebody's natural response in the given situation, not that the situations in the game would happen day to day. I don't know if I should put it down to the script or voice actors but even an actor can discuss their lines with the director/producers in order to make them feel more organic. Saying that I sincerely doubt that there was a director, not for the dialogue, at least.

Cut scenes: These are essential to any game, not just the adventure genre, as they explain the next objectives to the player. While they're possibly more important for a PAC adventure, being that story and environment work together to provide important clues and useful tools, these ones just go on WAY too long. First you get the end of the act, then you have to put up with Brian Bosco sitting in a director's chair for 5 minutes as he gives you the highlights of what you've just done, the highlights of the scenes we don't see and his personal reflections on both, followed by the opening of the next act. It's immensely boring and, inspite of the OOT amount of information provided, leave you with a only a vague sense of what you're meant to do next.

So this game fails on 4 out of the 5 factors I was rating on. I gave an extra star out of sheer generosity and gave 3 out of 5 for 'fun' although, again, that may have been out of the kindness of my heart.

I would tell you not to buy it but there just aren't enough games of this type for me to say that. It's sad; there are so few of them and when one does come out it's as bad as this so it's not going to cause more demand in the market.

Bone (1) - Out From Boneville
Bone (1) - Out From Boneville
by Jeff Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not that good., 14 Mar. 2008
Well the plot was intriguing, if it was a little slow getting on its feet. It's not as funny as others have made it out to be, though. I chuckled a little, 2 or 3 times through the book and there were moments just amusing enough to make me smile. Most of the gags are the kind of visual humour that could only possibly have the desired effect in the form of moving pictures.

Maybe I'm older than the target audiance. If you're thinking about buying this for a kid then go for it, what could go wrong?

But, like I said, the plot is intriguing but it didn't give me enough to say that my appetite have been wet for more. I guess this is a spoiler (unless you've looked at the title of the next volume) but the whole thing is about a 30 minute read and you're left with the certain knowledge that the next spectacular event that might take place is a race of cows. I know there's likely to be more than that, but without more information who gives a toss?

It's kinda cheap so I might just order it with the next expensive item I buy, since I'll probably go for the free delivery.

Basically I *would* like to read more but I don't think I would go to any great pains to do so.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2010 8:16 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2