Profile for Carol > Reviews

Sylvanian Families Kangaroo Family
Sylvanian Families Kangaroo Family
Offered by Crocodile Stores Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 19 Sept. 2015
You can't go wrong really, can you?

Vivienne Westwood
Vivienne Westwood
by Vivienne Westwood

4.0 out of 5 stars Viva Viv!, 19 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Vivienne Westwood (Hardcover)
What a life! Fascinating, talented, outspoken woman. Managed to flourish in a cut-throat industry and went from outsider to national treasure. This book does give quite a clear picture of how this all happened but is a little bit disjointed due to the interview format. Still a great read though.

Basics Fashion Design: Fashion Drawing
Basics Fashion Design: Fashion Drawing
by John Hopkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for all BA Fashion design students, 19 Sept. 2015
Excellent book, I have used it extensively to teach fashion drawing on a BA course. I recommend it to all my degree-level fashion students.

Victor/Victoria [DVD]
Victor/Victoria [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julie Andrews
Offered by BLT-deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Slapstick + double-drag, 19 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Victor/Victoria [DVD] (DVD)
I am fascinated by drag films so this is part of a big collection. It's not the best but Julie Andrews is terrific. There's too much slapstick for my taste, but hey – it is Blake Edwards. Overall it's a fun romp with some surprisingly serious points about homophobia tucked in along the way.

Hairspray [DVD] [1988]
Hairspray [DVD] [1988]
Dvd ~ Sonny Bono
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 19 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Hairspray [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
I love this film! The characters are engaging, the costumes and dances are great, the pace is good, it's funny and yet it makes some serious points. It's the most commercially accessible of John Waters' films and yet not deminished by being so – highly recommended.

Pattern
Pattern
by Orla Kiely

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a surprise..., 18 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Pattern (Hardcover)
I was quite surprised at this book when it arrived. I thought, mainly from the title I suppose, that this would be Orla's experienced treatise on surface pattern design, not an illustrated autobiography.

Although it is certainly a beautiful book, thoughtfully designed and full of lovely images, for me it was let down by the dull and leaden text. Her pattern design is full of wit, an assured sense of colour and an almost OCD sense of order, but where is that personality in the writing? The book reads like a school essay. A little bit of a helping hand from the editor to inject some wit would have been most welcome, either that or cut the text altogether and leave us with the beautiful pictures to look at.

Abc3D
Abc3D
by Marion Bataille

5.0 out of 5 stars Well received gift, 18 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Abc3D (Hardcover)
Bought this as a gift for a typographer friend and he LOVED it. Very inventive and beautifully designed, this is a great gift for the design nerds in your life.

Cocteau: A Biography
Cocteau: A Biography
by Francis Steegmuller

4.0 out of 5 stars Such times!, 18 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Cocteau: A Biography (Hardcover)
I keep coming back to early 20th century Paris arts scene in my reading: The Ballets Russes, Gertrude Stein, Picasso, Braque, Modigiliani, Man Ray, Lee Miller, Kiki de Montparnasse... and in all of their biographies there he is: Cocteau.

So I finally managed to get hold of this book andy I'm really enjoying it so far. Talented and mercurial as I already knew him to have been, he also turns out to have been precious, precocious and quite infuriating. He knew everyone, right and left bank, and this book has exhaustively researched and chronicled everything, warts and all.

The strong theme of Cocteau finding and following his artistic calling holds it all together well and the writing style can convey a sceptically arched eyebrow somehow without the persona of the biographer intruding into the already overcrowded life of the subject.

Such times... and what a life!

Kiki de Montparnasse: The Graphic Biography
Kiki de Montparnasse: The Graphic Biography
by Catel

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought me back to graphic novels, 30 Dec. 2011
I used to read a lot of graphic novels but they've lost my interest over the past decade. I started looking in comic shops when Baby's In Black came out, but this title pulled me right back in to intently reading, and really enjoying, the format.

I'd already read a literary biography of Kiki and had also read around the subject - Lee Miller, Man Ray etc - but I found that this presented the same subject in a fresh and very engaging way. Kiki's origin and her rise and fall seemed ideal subject matter for a graphic novel; the story was gripping and the drawings beautiful and vigorous - they reminded me of Franz Masreel and that's a very big compliment.

It's a bit explicit in places so you may want to hide it away from any minors in your household!

Highly recommended.

Edward Bawden's London
Edward Bawden's London
by Peyton Skipwith

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book, 30 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Edward Bawden's London (Hardcover)
I spent most of Christmas with my nose buried in this book. I have been a big fan of Bawden since my art student days and I thought this was a great selection of work, beautifully printed and designed. I was so engrossed in it I felt as if it came to a bit of an abrupt end.
Recommended to anyone interested in this era of illustration and printmaking,

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4