Profile for Melissa > Reviews

Content by Melissa

Melissa (UK)

Wolf Creek Cherokee 8 Electric / Hydraulic Log Splitter (8 Ton) Dual Action - splits both ways. ON SALE
Offered by Equipmart Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. A million times better than splitting logs by ..., 18 Jan. 2015
Brilliant. A million times better than splitting logs by hand. It is so quick: we have split 2-3 cubic metres of stacked wood in one weekend, including oak, beech and poplar from fairly large trunk sections. The only comment is that it isn't fully filled with hydraulic oil and needed an extra litre of oil before we could use it. Moving it takes some effort as it is very heavy but very glad we went for the 8 ton version in terms of splitting: saves a lot of effort with a maul.

Here Comes Jack Frost
Here Comes Jack Frost
by Kazuno Kohara

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Here Comes Jack Frost (Hardcover)
The graphics in this book are amazing. It is a lovely simple book in terms of graphics and storyline and a great bedtime story for a 3 year old on frosty and snowy days. We love the ending too.

The Tilda Characters Collection: Birds, Bunnies, Angels and Dolls
The Tilda Characters Collection: Birds, Bunnies, Angels and Dolls
by Tone Finnanger

3.0 out of 5 stars The Tilda Characters Collection, 2 Dec. 2010
If you have the other Tilda books then it's not worth buying this collection as they are just collated from Tone Finnanger's other publications. However, it's a nice collection and good value for money if you haven't got the other books. The only downside is that the templates come as a single sheet and need enlarging by 400% which is a pain. The sheet is also stuck to the outside of the slip case and if you remove it and slot it in with the books, everything is then too tight to get the books out of the slip case!
As I have most of the other Tilda books I will be passing this on as a gift. However, if you don't have the others then it's probably worthwhile ordering. The only negative is the template sheet: the other books come with full size templates as part of the books so you can just trace them rather than messing about with a photocopier.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2014 1:16 PM GMT

I Love Patchwork: 21 Irresistible Zakka Projects to Sew
I Love Patchwork: 21 Irresistible Zakka Projects to Sew
by Rashida Coleman-Hale

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Patchwork: 25 Irresistable Zakka Projects to Sew, 13 July 2010
I really like this book. The projects are a bit different to those seen in most other modern sewing books and there's some nice original ideas in there along with the standard kitchen towels and things. The selection of fabrics is a little different but I like the use of linen - very modern & contemporary. The projects are relatively easy but this is a bonus if you are short on time, less likelihood of another UFO (unfinished object). Lots of the items are also suitable to give as presents. Admittedly not all projects involve patchwork but I don't see this as a negative.

There's a high proportion of projects I want to make in this book compared to many I've bought recently. I have already made the blossom pincushions (for myself and as a present) and plan to do the little lamb softie, pencil case, sewing machine cover and button calendar soon. The appliquéd pillow is also a nice idea. I'd definitely recommend this book if you are interested in making some useful items for around the home either for yourself or as gifts. If you are interested in traditional patchwork then other books may be more appropriate.

Stacking Stack em Up Numbered Cups - Bath Toy for Babies & Children -- 8 Cups
Stacking Stack em Up Numbered Cups - Bath Toy for Babies & Children -- 8 Cups

3.0 out of 5 stars Stack em Up Numbered Cups, 11 Jun. 2010
These stacking cups are very small compared to others we've seen, the largest one is about 3" diameter. Overall I wasn't that impressed but they'll do for the bath. For use as a stacking toy we'll probably get some larger ones.

Make
Make
by Cath Kidston

1.0 out of 5 stars Cath Kidston - Make, 14 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Make (Paperback)
I was very disappointed with the book as it was advertised as instructions to make things with Cath Kidston fabrics. I was hoping there'd be patterns for bags and things. Instead the book focuses on customising ready made items with C.K. designs e.g. buy a bag, buy a tea towel, buy a baby's bib and use the designs to embellish them. From my point of view the book is extremely disappointing as I was looking to make something from scratch. Having said that the designs are as you'd expect from Cath Kidston stuff. However, the book could have been a lot better had there been full instructions to make the items and customise them - a lot more satisfying. At the cost of a couple of magazines it is OK but I'm glad I didn't pay the full rrp. If you want to make something then look elsewhere, there are plenty of better books out there to get you started. If you're looking for C.K. designs then you can't go wrong.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2011 10:27 PM BST