Profile for I. Horswell > Reviews

Content by I. Horswell

I. Horswell (Bristol, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Despicable Me Minion Happy Birthday Card - 1 In a Minion
Despicable Me Minion Happy Birthday Card - 1 In a Minion
Offered by Dazzle The Party Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cards, 31 Oct. 2014
Lovely cards - perfect for young and old. Arrived quickly and well packaged

Second Nature A 40th Birthday with Stars Pop Up Greeting Card
Second Nature A 40th Birthday with Stars Pop Up Greeting Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for 40th, 31 Oct. 2014
Great fun! Looks good quality and arrived in one piece

40th Birthday Women Cards
40th Birthday Women Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Large birthday card - good quality, 31 Oct. 2014
This review is from: 40th Birthday Women Cards
This is a larger card than I expected but just as pictured and arrived quickly.

Gamekraft GX21 Headset for xBox 360 Live (Black)
Gamekraft GX21 Headset for xBox 360 Live (Black)
Offered by e2buy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price, won't last long, 31 Oct. 2014
It lasted a month, which is longer than I expected at this price. Needs careful handling!

Useful if you're not sure whether to shell out on a more expensive headset or just want some peace and quiet for the school holidays!

Charlie Merrick's Misfits in Fouls, Friends, and Football (Charlie Merricks Misfits 1)
by Dave Cousins

3.0 out of 5 stars Aimed at 6-8 year old football fans, 31 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought this would be a perfect gift. This is one of those cartoon filled books, like David Walliams and the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" but aimed at less mature readers - 6-8 years old, depending on their reading abilities. Unfortunately, my football mad 8.5 year old has paid it very little attention and thought it "too easy". I'd say it was perfect for children just starting to read books, and the text difficulty is similar to that found in the Horrid Henry series.

Black Heart Blue
Black Heart Blue
by Louisa Reid

4.0 out of 5 stars Unsettling book, for older teens, 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Black Heart Blue (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was originally going to read this book with my 10 year old, assuming that like "Wonder" by RJ Palacio, it was about prejudices, people who are different and exclusion.

I'm so glad that I read it first - its not a book I'll be passing on for a few more years. The text is aimed at early teens but the issues raised are much more grown up - child abuse, rape, alcoholism, murder and loss. Cleverly constructed and quite disturbing at times. More suitable for a confident older teen who is happy to talk openly about the issues raised?

Revlon Interactives Color Sublime Color Preserving Shampoo 1250ml
Revlon Interactives Color Sublime Color Preserving Shampoo 1250ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mositurising shampoo, 12 Oct. 2014
This is one of the few shampoos that keeps my very curly, coloured hair moisturised enough. I have no idea if it helps my hair keep its colour but when used with the conditioner, I have shiny tamed hair rather than a frizzy mess.

Much cheaper to buy like this than in tiny bottles.

A Fort of Nine Towers
A Fort of Nine Towers
by Qais Akbar Omar

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting and poignant, 12 Oct. 2014
This review is from: A Fort of Nine Towers (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An autobiographical tale of beauty and hope, loss and grief, poignant and yet uplifting.

The author describes the wonders and difficulties of growing up and surviving in Afghanistan over the last 25 years: family life, the challenges of living on the road to escape fighting only to find that war had followed them and the generosity and warmth of fellow men. Written with humility and in a matter of fact manner, this book drew me in but I wanted to savour it rather than rush it.

There are appalling moments where men drunk on power commit unspeakable atrocities including the Taliban with their underhand harsh form of justice and random oppressive rulings. "We had peace but it was an unhappy peace, a frightened peace."

I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to others - not only is it an interesting read, but I have learnt a lot about Afghanistan and its recent history.

Teenagers Explained: A Manual for Parents by Teenagers
Teenagers Explained: A Manual for Parents by Teenagers
by Megan Lovegrove

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, enlightening and useful, 7 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Brilliant! Every parent with tweens should buy one in preparation.

This is a really helpful book that not only covers all the usual hotspots that you'll remember from being a teen but gives hints and tips for dealing with them in the modern world such as mobile phones (when, what and how to get your child to answer them when you ring, how to ensure they can always ring home), a guide to popular social networking websites (tumblr/twitter/formspring etc), how to recognise goth/emo/rah/nerds and chavs and loads more.

Not sure what older teenagers would think of it but we as parents of a budding teenager thought it was very useful

Wild Born (Spirit Animals)
Wild Born (Spirit Animals)
by Brandon Mull

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read but not inspiring, 7 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read this with my ten year old - it promised to be an interesting story but didn't grip either of us. I think it really depends on your reading preferences. Its an easy enough read for 9-12 year olds except that it involves plenty of made up names for places and people - you'll know whether your child likes that or not.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19