Profile for MM > Reviews

Content by MM

MM (Renfrewshire)

Page: 1 | 2
edc by ESPRIT Women's Basic Cardigan, Pink (OLD PINK), 38 (Manufacturer size: Medium)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this garment, 19 Mar. 2017
I love this garment. The colour and shade go with so many items in my wardrobe, it's an instant favourite.

New Ladies Dunlop Flat Open Toe Velcro Sports Trekking Walking Sandals Size UK 3-8, Black Turq UK 6

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect purchase!, 30 May 2014
Fantastic value, and a very comfortable sandal. Ideal for summer or sunny walking. I'm going to buy another pair in a different colour.

Jacob's Daughter: Book One: Amish Romance (Jacob's Daughter Series 1)
Jacob's Daughter: Book One: Amish Romance (Jacob's Daughter Series 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars gentle light reading, 12 April 2013
This is the first in a series of Amish stories that link a 'typical' Amish community. It's a gentle read, and interesting to gain a little insight into what seems to be a very simplistic lifestyle. The plot is somewhat predictable, but an enjoyable read for all that. Worth the discounted price for the kindle edition.

A Small Weeping
A Small Weeping
by Alex Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars another good Lorimer story, 12 April 2013
This review is from: A Small Weeping (Paperback)
Alex Gray is one of my favourite crime writers; I always enjoy following Lorimer's progress through a case, while at the same time engaging with other regular characters that have been introduced through the series. The Glasgow context adds a personal interest for me, but I'm sure the storylines would be equally gripping whichever city was involved. Having read all of the Lorimer novels, I'm working my way through them for a second time.

The Lewis Man: Book Two of the Lewis Trilogy
The Lewis Man: Book Two of the Lewis Trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable read, 11 April 2013
Having enjoyed The Black House, I was eager to continue the series and this did not disappoint. I like Peter May's writing style; for me the descriptive prose and dual-story format are the skills that make this author stand out from other crime writers. Fin, the main character from the first novel, has left the police and returned to live on Lewis. This time the first person narrative is from the perspective of another character, Tormud. As before, the author runs both stories in parallel until the end where they blend together naturally to a conclusion. My only negative comment albeit a minor one, is that I thought the plotline towards the end of the story sacrificed a little credibility to achieve the ending. Otherwise, another enjoyable read. For some series, reading order is not particularly important but I think this trilogy needs to be read in the order the stories were written.
I've ordered the final part today.

The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
by Peter May

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent novel, looking forward to the next one.., 7 April 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, partly because the author's depiction of Lewis and its people was so authentic and partly due to the storyline. The plot developed at a steady pace holding my interest and attention all the way to the end. The story concerns a detective being posted back to his native island to investigate a murder after an 18 year absence; each alternate chapter is a flashback to his childhood. Towards the end of the story past and present are woven together with a few twists and turns before the final outcome. I am new to Peter May, but if this is typical of his writing I will be actively seeking out more.

THE TEA DRESS SHOP AT CHRISTMAS (Tea Dress Shop Series Book 1)
THE TEA DRESS SHOP AT CHRISTMAS (Tea Dress Shop Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit disappointing, I'm afraid, 15 Jan. 2013
After reading the blurb, I was looking forward to reading this story, particularly as it is set in my home town. The chapters were very short but readable in a good way and I felt that I got to know the characters quite well in a short time. Just as the plot started to develop, the book came to an abrubt end. In a nutshell, talented girl has heart broken, opens a shop to sell her dresses, is befriended by the local businessmen, (it seems no other women run businesses in that part of Glasgow!), after a couple of dates falls in love with one of them. The end. I wouldn't rush to read more from this author.

The Good Girl (The Reluctant Detective Mysteries Book 2)
The Good Girl (The Reluctant Detective Mysteries Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant story!, 5 Nov. 2011
This sequel to The Reluctant Detective is every bit as enjoyable as the original. Sinclair MacLeod has a descriptive writing style that draws the reader in to the narrative all the way through the story. Once again, the author's local knowledge creates a realistic backdrop to the plot. Highly recommended to crime fiction fans!

The Reluctant Detective (The Reluctant Detective Mysteries Book 1)
The Reluctant Detective (The Reluctant Detective Mysteries Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent debut novel, 4 Nov. 2011
I really enjoyed this book. The storyline was well structured with credible characters and an interesting plot. It was good to have a 'normal' guy narrating the story and the Glasgow setting was a bonus for me. I hope this is just the first of a long series!

Shadows of Sounds
Shadows of Sounds
by Alex Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 30 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Shadows of Sounds (Paperback)
I've only recently discovered Alex Gray and her Glasgow based detective Lorimer; so I'm probably reading the novels out of sequence, but no matter. Each of the books stand alone and Shadows of Sound is no exception. A well written story with Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall as the backdrop. I have to admit that I did anticipate the plot twists in advance, but this did not spoil my enjoyment of the book. The regular characters are brought to life by Gray in a likeable fashion; the reader is encouraged to care about the personal lives of the team.Will Lorimer's wife come back? Will the pathologist-phsycologist couple stay together?
Read the story!