Profile for Steph > Reviews

Steph "Steph" (Denmark)

Worn Stories
Worn Stories
by Emily Spivack

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book. Amazing stories that I will read again ..., 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Worn Stories (Hardcover)
Wonderful book. Amazing stories that I will read again and again. What a great idea for a book and an fantastic selection of writers. love it.

Nothing Right: Short Stories
Nothing Right: Short Stories
by Antonya Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 8 Feb. 2014
I am absolutely bowled over by this collection of short stories. I am not normally a great fan of short stories, but this is a completely different kettle of fish. Each story reads like a novel; full and finished and not at all lacking in any way. Antonya Nelson writes beautifully and I fell in love with so many of the characters. This is simply the best book I have read for a very, very, very long time. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
by Helen Fielding

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL, 16 Nov. 2013
Shallow, unfunny, dated, badly written..... oh the list goes on. How Bridget Jones manages to have friends and even lovers is beyond me. She is simply too annoying for words. Fielding is doing womankind no favours having created a 'heroine' this vacant and unintelligent. I really liked the first books but Bridget #3 is just too much of an idiot.

Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls
Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls
by David Sedaris

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant!, 21 May 2013
I love David Sedaris' writing. I find myself re-reading his books and ending up liking bits that I wasn't particularly keen on to start with. I absolutely love 'When you are engulfed in flames', but when I first read it I didn't think it was as good as his other work. Now it is my favourite by far. I think the same will happen with this collection of stories. To my mind there is just no one above him! His outlook is just amazing!

Still Standing: The Savage Years
Still Standing: The Savage Years
by Paul O'Grady

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!, 16 Oct. 2012
Absolutely love O'Grady's autobiographies!!!! Brilliantly entertaining and incredibly moving at times. Can't get enough and wish he will just go on and on and on writing.

Aftermath: On Marriage and Separation
Aftermath: On Marriage and Separation
by Rachel Cusk

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 4 April 2012
Self-indulgent, very, very pretentious and utterly boring. Awful overwrought hysterical prose, and the constant comparisions to Greek drama is grating and superfluous. How this drivel made it past any selfrespecting editor is beyond me. Avoid!

The Scent of Dried Roses: One family and the end of English Suburbia - an elegy (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Tim Lott

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious!, 27 Feb. 2012
This is a wonderful book. Beautifully written story of a London family. I just couldn't put it down once I had started, and really cared for Jack and Jean and their family. Very highly recommended!

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad it's painful, 4 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
This is a seriously bad book. I kept on thinking I had missed the point and kept on reading. 600 pages in I could stand no more! One good thing came of it though. I read R. Gray "bhafc99" (Edinburgh) review of the book and I have rarely laughed so much! You are absolutely spot on!!! The world is a very strange place indeed; rubbish like this becoming bestsellers.